Infamous slow window repair | FerrariChat

Infamous slow window repair

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Steve King, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Just did my 8 hr. drive you crazy make the window work trick. 77 B had a dead window on the pass. side. Opened it up and found that the PO was in there and didn't have a clue as to what needed to be done. Found cable wrapped around the rear window screw and cable kinked and routed funny. Also found the bottom 3 pulleys were frozen. So the fun begain and the DiVinci style car with the Rube Goldberg power window system gave me a challenge. I did find that the best way to do this job is to disconnect the window from the cables.Also you only need to wrap the cable about 1 time around the motor pulley. Important thing is how the cables exit the motor. So I did the clean out and relub of the gear and freed up the pulleys. I must have mounted and remounted the motor/cable about 20 times to get the tension right. Once I got it all I needed to do was lock the window on the cable. Ran the motor up and down a few times and readj. the window and cable tensioner. Finally got it right and now it runs fairly good. As we all know these do not work well but considering I had a few kinks in the cable it is workable. So my wrists are cut , the shop light burned my arm and I still can't get the grease out of my fingers. Wow this is great , Ciao

2. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Welcome to italian car design & electrical mixed. Look at the plus side, it could be a Jag!

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Steve,
    Congrats! I got tired just watching fellow chatter "Navygakman" redoing the windows on his 308GTB. :)

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I think the whole system should be tossed into the garbage and upgraded with something that works. Im considering buying a kit that is used to retrofit all these 3 window coupes and musclecars to power windows. If the original system didnt suck so bad I would replace it with new but I think they suck from day 1 so why bother? My car is completely apart so now is a good time to experiment. The window is set up to mount the required channel for the scissor mechanism to hook into, the regulator mounts in the same general area as the original and they are a 2 wire system. The glass runs guide the window so a simple 1 arm regulator would probably do the trick. No hassles with cables criss-crossed 15 times, 10 friggin pulleys and slow as molassas motors. What a joke. Ive decided, Im tossing all of it and Ill make it work. The windows will go up and down, not to mention all the way into the door rather than stick out 2 inches and they will work fast and forever.

5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Norm you're talking to an old Jag guy who knows Lucas or "the prince of darkness" HA ha ha.

6. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Newman I agree the set up here is nuts but the reason from what I can see is due to the limited space. When you look inside you will see that the window cannot go down any further because the glass is taller then the door. I am also looking at the various hot rod window set ups but I am not ready to do any cutting and welding yet . Also all window motors are 2 wire systems the multi wires in the switch are to transfer ground and +12v because the motor needs to run forward and reverse. And once you see how it works the only real issue is winding the pulley on the motor. The system has 5 pulleys with 1 of them being the tension adjuster. So after my day I'm still working on the bottle of wine I opened after I completed the job.

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The window will go all the way down with a different system. The pulleys mounted on the lower brackets are what limit the window travel. They would have to be mounted on the underside of the door to let the glass down all the way. Ill make it work with a different regulator because I refuse to use that cow dung cable set up ever again. With the brackets removed, there is space and they arent needed with a lever type regulator. Its a simple modification and when I sort it out, Ill post pics. I just replaced one door skin today and the other shell is bare so I got a good look inside and there is plenty of room for something better.
    Paul.

8. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I would be very interested in what window system you end up with. Please share the information when you get it figured out.