Infotainment Replacement | FerrariChat

Infotainment Replacement

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Sammi, Aug 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    #1 Sammi, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2020
    Hi Everyone!

I’m new here, and this is also my first post. I just purchased my first Ferrari which is a 2013 California due to be shipped to me in the next couple of days.

Prior to this purchase I have been a corvette chick for the last 8 years owning three different models during that time frame.. very fun car by the way, but wanted a change so traded my 2017 Corvette GS for this car and I am excited as can be!

Anywho..these vehicles all had Apple Car play and modern infotainment systems - which I have become rather accustomed to. I know the 2013 California does not have this feature, and is somewhat lackluster in that area - so I am curious to know if there are any replacement options available for the infotainment system that does have these features? I’ve heard that replacing this can be tricky so just want to make sure I pick the right option.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

A couple photos of my new toy Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

artsd, whatheheck, pdxjim488 and 3 others like this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome & enjoy - there are few new questions so the probability is there are already threads about upgraded stereos which it is probably most sensible starting point - I think Pioneers have been mentioned

3. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    Thank you! I did actually come across a few after I posted this (of course) lol. They were helpful!

thomastrain likes this.
  4. irving203

irving203 Rookie

Aug 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Schmo
    I've also been a Corvette guy for the last several years, I just sold my C7 and C3 and bought a 2011 California. The stereo is awful. I've purchased a Pioneer AVH-1500NEX and going to install it this weekend, assuming all the parts arrive by then.
    I've been researching for a couple weeks now on what all is needed as it appears to not be a very straightforward install. I'll try and document the process and what was needed.
    Some of the issues I've seen so far are:
    Need specialty steering wheel controls adapter
    Trim kit needs to be extra wide (if too narrow there will be gaps)
    Probably need to replace speakers

My main motivation is having CarPlay, I have it in my Escalade and hate driving without it.

Sammi likes this.
  5. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Welcome and Congratulations !

Sammi likes this.
  6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Alas, no advice on radio, as I've only turned mine on about 3 or 4 times in 4.5 years.
    But, nice ride! Like the blacked out look with just enough yellow for some pop. Looks like the Batmobile!
    Enjoy your new Cali...T

Sammi likes this.
  7. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    Ahh this is definitely good to know, I will definitely check in on updates on how your process is going. I was reading there was a certain harness needed to connect the device but no suggestions as to what type, have you heard of that before?

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sammi likes this.
  9. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    So I have narrowed it down to, Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX and Pioneer DMH-WC6600NEX. One is floating and one is modular but functionality is virtually the same. I’m uncertain which would be the best option for this particular car. I am told both fit.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i put a pioneer 8500 on my ff...works great...i posted it in the ff forum

Sammi likes this.
  11. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    #11 Sammi, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Do you have a link to it? I can’t seem to locate it with search words

Edit: I found it, it looks great!!

ttforcefed likes this.
  12. irving203

irving203 Rookie

Aug 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Schmo
    This is the adapter I purchased based on the details I got from the other posts on this forum:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CTSCH005-2-Chrysler-Town-and-Country-Steering-Stalk-Control-Adaptor-Phone/402320432992?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I took the car to the dealership yesterday to get bi-annual service and they're saying I won't have back till next week.
    So will be postponing the stereo upgrade until next week.

I looked up the DMH-WC6600NEX, would be curious to see how a 9" screen fits. I'll be using a 6.2" screen with 16:9 ratio and the height is as tall as it can go without needing to cut the bezel. A 9" screen with 16:9 aspect ratio would be over 5" tall, but the hole is only 3 3/4" tall.

Im not an expert on this stuff so I would get a professional opinion :)

whatheheck and Sammi like this.
  13. irving203

irving203 Rookie

Aug 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Schmo
    Ahhh, so the "floating" one would actually protrude out from the dash and only take up a single din.
    Will be curious to see what that would look like on a California but I like the idea of a larger screen.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sammi likes this.
  14. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    Oh wow! I didn’t realize a service could take up to a week, that’s good to know! Are you planning to replace your speakers as well or just the display? I’m looking forward to seeing how your install turns out so keep us posted on that if you can. :)

I was also a bit confused by the 9” fit. The audio company I decided to go with for install suggested a few models to me - that being one of them. Maybe because it is a single DIN it is considered compatible?
    Also, I wouldn’t want to lose the Ferrari emblem on the dash though so would have to confirm that wouldn’t happen.
    Otherwise the DMH-WT7600NEX is 9” floating so that could likely fit. My back up option is the DMH-W4660NE since it is within typical dimensions.

15. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    I like the idea of the larger screen also, not sure if it would suit a California or not, or if it may make it look cheesy since it isn’t “flush” with the dash.

16. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    whatheheck and Sammi like this.
  17. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    Oh wow, I actually quite like how this turned out. I tried googling images of Ferrari’s with floating displays to no avail, so thanks for finding that! Maybe I will go this direction after all.

18. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    I’m really curious what dash kit he used. I ended up ordering the floating display as well, but it’s single din - and most of the dash kits I’ve come across online have the unit sitting in the top part - which would block the ac vents and the Ferrari emblem.

This guy seems to have found one that allows the din to sit on the lower half.

19. jopke

jopke Rookie

Aug 18, 2014
    looking forward to seeing pics of yours installed

Sammi likes this.
  20. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    Have another question that I cannot seem to find in any of the other audio threads.

Does anyone know what integration harness is needed to have the electrical features of the California work with the Pioneer DMH wt7600nex receiver I purchased?

21. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    maybe this guy knows? he is the only on here i believe who has done the work himself...i looked at my invoice and it doesnt specify a part number for the integration harness.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/stereo-system-upgrade-experience-in-ff.599966/

Sammi likes this.
  22. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I read somewhere it was a Maserati one that worked. I will have to go back and look at some of the threads again.

23. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    I did read that also, but it mentioned it was for a navigation unit. Which mine isn’t. So not sure if it would be the same one or not.

One of the audio places I contacted for a quote mentioned he could do it through an amp does that sound right at all?

russellmcg likes this.
  24. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    I forgot that you had replied with this answer regarding the integration harness after I have been researching all over for this answer lol. It was right in this thread all along. That’s a blonde moment if I’ve ever had one. I think this one will work for me as well. Appreciate it! Thank you!

25. robmike

robmike Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    Sammi, did you replace the infotainment system? If so, what option did you choose?

Sammi likes this.