InI want to jog from LA to Dallas. Need input. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

InI want to jog from LA to Dallas. Need input.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JimSchad, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J

Jim, I disagree, if weight loss is your goal, I say pick up the pipe! Nothing washes the pounds away like a good crack addiction!

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

If you're going to go to that extent at least do it for a charity. I think you could get a lot of people on here to sponsor your walk/bike/whateverathon. I'd do it if it was for a good cause ;)

3. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

Hmm. Didn't think I'd need to train to just walk a long way. I understand the inflamed tissue, fatigue etc. Maybe just sounds easier than it is. My main concern was getting stuck in the desert in the heat/cold no water. Hadn't thought about rain...good point.

I'm not doing...or wanting to do this to lose weight. it was just a byproduct. I am just bored to death adn albeit walking 2K miles might get boring it seems like a fun challenge. I just hate status quo and that is what I have become.

4. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

How about mountain climbing?? My cousin took this up a decade ago. When he started he was a chubby guy, now he's in great shape and has great fun and adventure travelling around the world climbing mountains.

5. CRUSING

CRUSING Karting

Oct 31, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    My Father in Law ran across the country in 1992 (before the movie). He was 48 at the time. He started in San Diego January 2 and made it to Jacksonville sometime in August. He tried to do at least 15 miles a day six days a week. He ran a lot before the trip and his feet were black for months after the run so he says.

He used an RV and had a person drive ahead so he had to go the distance. He said the south was the dangerous part with people trying to hit him with their cars. An amazing feat. All the best to you in your goal, but you should be more realistic, 50 miles a day is way too many unless you are riding a bike. If you are going to do it do it right and buy or rent an RV.

Good luck

6. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    Some friends of mine skateboarded across the country (Oregon to Virginia) last summer. It took about three weeks. One guy had done it twice before just for the hell of it but this time around he organized it to raise money to fight an illness known as Lowe's Syndrome that killed his 10 year old son.

I think if you are going to walk a long way, you might as well turn it into some sort of event.

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    One of my "life adventure" goals is to buy a 5 yr old full cab pickup in TX and drive to Argentina and sell it for enough profit to fly home - I had a friend from Peru say 4x4 pickups sell for considerably more down there and that he had friends who bought fixed wrecks and old trucks in the Southern US and sold them there.

I'd spend 3-4 weeks visiting Mexico, Costa Rica, Peru, Chile, and then finish in AR and Uruguay (maybe a bit of Brasil too). Sell the truck, fly home from there. Would avoid/drive through most of Guatemala, Honduras, Colombia and Venezuela though.

8. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

That sounds like fun. If you need someone to ride shotgun(literally and figuratively) I'm up for it. Been thinking of doing the same thing on a motorcycle for years.

9. Chenrezi

Chenrezi Karting

Feb 10, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    ryalex that IS fun!!
    As Tyler said if you need someone to ride with you U can count on me too!
    Hell, we could do a FChat goes to South America kinda thing! :)

No seriously that would be great. I've done something close to that through Europe (without selling the car :p) and it was one of the greatest experiences I've lived. You just see so much more and interact so much with th locals, it's just amazing.

About the 50 mile daily walk, not putting anybody down, but I too think it would be greatly impossible to do. Maybe you could do it in one day, MAYBE. But surely in the next you wouldn't be able to move let along walk another 50 miles...

It's a great feat if you at least try it though, and as such I'm sure you can count on allot of support, especially, as it's been said, you turn it into some kind of charity event...

Think about it, try and do a 15 mile everyday for a week and then think if you can do a 50...

In here we have alot of people who do big walks to attend religious celebrations and I see them walk by with BIG blisters and caluses and fully dehidrated, and there's no way they do 50 miles everyday. Plus, it's a special thing and they have help from the Red Cross who installs litle tents to give them water and treat (or try) their feet...

Good luck if you decide to go for it! Just let us know how you did! Hey you could find a cybercafe and just write a few lines about it on Fchat :)

Best of luck again.

10. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    If you do go on this venture, take a pistol in an IWB (In Waist-Band) holster, several spare magazines, a Surefire light or 2, a basic backup light using standard batteries and a good knife. A satellite phone in your bag would be handy too.

Guns:

My recommendations would be a SIG-Sauer P228 (mid-sized) or P226 (full-sized), Glock 19 (mid-sized) or 17 (full-sized). All are 9x19mm Parabellum. Another option would be to go with a 0.45ACP 1911-A1 based pistol made by Springfield (my pick is the Professional Model) or Kimber (Custom Defence Pistol II).

Ammunition wise, I recommend Winchester. In 9x19mm, something around 125 grains jacketed hollow-point (JHP). In 0.45ACP, something around 230 grains jacketed hollow-point.

Flashlights:

The Surefire Z2 Combat flashlight is very durable, powerful and also compact; a good all-rounder. It is the standard-issue flashlight of the FBI, U.S. Air Marshalls and thousands of police departments. It is especially suited to being operated with a handgun using the Rogers technique. It will produce 65 lumens for 60 minutes, or 120 lumens for 20 minutes in high-intensity mode (this can temporarily blind someone).

I also recommend the ultra-long lasting Surefire A2 Aviator and Surefire E2O Outdoorsman. Both will run for hours. The aviator will go for 60 minutes at 50 lumens, 15 hours in power-saving 3 lumen LED mode, and then 30 hours of LED backup. The Outdoorsman will run at the full power of 25 lumens for 2.5 hours.

11. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I don't understand people jogging!

Why in the world would someone jog to nowhere, doing nothing where is is jogging to and then turn around and arrive back home. Having accomplished nothing, wasted time and could have gone there faster by car.
    I don't need to jog, I have a drivers license :)

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Martin, my brother in law told me "God only gave people a certain number of steps, why rush through them." :)

13. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Arizona and New Mexico are brutal except for 2 Dec to 17 Dec.

Seriously, the low humidity and high temp in spring and summer mean you need to take in 6-8 L of water just to stay even on fluids. Heat exhaustion, no fun...heat stroke, very bad.

50 miles per day in AZ and NM is highly optimistic.