Injected boxer with cams and other goodies | FerrariChat

Injected boxer with cams and other goodies

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Oct 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ive been experimenting with performance cams and CIS and so far I haven't opened a can of worms. I decided during the rebuild that I would run a performance profile in my ex 82 boxer along with Ti rods, high compression pistons and exhaust.

Unfortunately I lost some pics in a hard drive crash so this is all I have. I went with quicksilver manifolds that I pre-fit then had ceramic coated. The exhaust is Fuchs.

Ive taken the car out a few times but now having the rims refinished and new tires put on so its out of commission until they're back. Ill continue my testing once it has wheels on it. But I can say for certain that the car gets up an goes! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

DonB likes this.
  2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    MAD828 and samsaprunoff like this.
  5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  6. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Very nice!-So the verdict on the cam and pistons?
    On another note, how are you managing the heat shield for the headers at the inner CV boot area- I removed the factory tacked on shield and have been debating a better alternative- The headers are ceramic coated inside and out and I thought perhaps wrapping them at the CV boot area vs designing a rigid shield to bolt off of the differential covers.

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The manifolds have heat shields and they're ceramic coated which is about all one can do. Ive thought of making a tube that bolts to the diff supports and the axle runs through them. Then I thought with the spinning axle in the tube Ive really just created a convection oven for the CV boots. So I would then need to add a duct to supply air to the tube and then I just said forget it and accept it for what it is. The entire powertrain arrangement is a compromise (that works somehow) so why go nuts trying to preserve the boots when they can just get replaced during the next EO service?

I knew the cams would work out fine, I ran a set in a 3.4L V8 I built for a 308 2V and they worked great, had a similar profile with slightly more overlap than these. Overlap being the critical number with CIS

8. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz

Hi Newman...great pics. I think I've asked before but which paint did you use for the plenum chambers and air intake runners? I've experimented with VHT, and checked every "off the shelf" brand of silver available to me but none seem to have the darker/correct color.

9. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I had my factory headers ceramic coated as well, but I've also wrapped them, under the CV boots, with DEI header wrap. I only wrapped them as far as the test tubes coming off the headers, so it can't be seen when looking at the car from behind. I guess only time will tell if it works.

10. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz

Any way you could post a video with sound so we could hear the exhaust? The Fuchs units look really nice. Also, I would be really interested in purchasing the new rear heat shields if you could provide the information. In advance..Thanks!

11. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  13. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    Paul, I know you're one busy dude, but would you please give me/us a very brief description as to why CIS needs cams with more overlap? More suction to pull im the intake charge? Thanks, John

14. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I believe you have it backwards? The CIS will only accept a small increase in overlap because of the the air flap on the metering unit.

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    CIS doesn't like reversion in the intake manifold because it effects the sensor plate position at idle. The cams Ferrari chose are way too conservative, its almost like they guessed. A 3.4L CIS I built I had it sitting at just over 200 PPM HC at idle with performance cams and 10:1 pistons. I could've set it to the 200 PPM emission requirement but it just runs better in the low to mid 200's. So Ferrari fell way short and left lots on the table here but thats the case with all of their engines back then it seems.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Wonder what Hp youre gettign now. Also what the power like between 6k and 7k rpm, thats where imo a BBi is real weak, just as it should start building on cam it goes flat.

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I would like to know the HP as well, I dyno'd it in stock form and it didn't make 320HP, 318 or something like that IIRC and it ran out of steam at 5200PRM. It doesn't run out at 5500 which is as far as Ive wound it out. Just over 100KMS on it now so Im taking it easy.

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  21. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
  22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    But I aspire to one day be skipping around my plant like you do with a martini in one hand and not a care in the world!

23. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Interesting that the original owner had the seats converted to include massive bolsters on both the seat bottom and back. Paul and I discussed bringing these back to original which I believe improves the look significantly! Recovered the plastic on the sills as well.