Insane 911 market. | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Insane 911 market.

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by jjmalez, Nov 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Wow. holy Aircooled! Batman!
    Loving my 87 930 505(factory) Targa slantnose alot more today than yesterday

Boomhauer and koisokok like this.
  2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

No one ever thinks there is a bubble until it's over.

All cars are at a bit of bloated prices right now, IMO. I was thinking about a 991.2 GT3 touring, not going to happen at current prices and no problem if they don't pull back. I almost bought a pristine 991.1 Carrera S, manual, 2 wheel drive last week, but just decided I'm going to put the money to work and see what happens over the next few years. I'm now back up to 3 cars ( 2013 427 corvette convet; 1983 308QV probably selling) as I just bought a BMW Z3 M roadster for some back road fun.

I would love an early 911 S pre '72. But I think the ship has sailed, like many others, for me.

Just enjoying what I like and hope to be driving a Porsche in the future.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sometimes it's hard to sort the froth from real values. The long hood 911s will likely be expensive forever. They're the rare vintage sports car that is both reliable and great to drive.

I don't know about the later water-cooled cars. They aren't rare. When the hysteria subsides, I doubt these will be that expensive. The 930s ... always in demand, never replicated in the modern age.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Caymans are a better car and better deal.

Mark(study) and spicedriver like this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Tex...do you own a Cayman, if so, which year? I loved the looks of the old Cayman. Looked at a few seriously when I was in Porsche buying mode, but the wife insisted on a 911.

The newer Caymams, 718 series, look very large in comparison to the older models. All that being said, I've never met anyone in PCA who didn't love their Cayman. But us 911 folks still give them a hard time!

T

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I had a 2009 with the PDK. On the track it was almost more fun than the law allows. Then like an idiot I passed on a GT4 I ordered for $115K.

tomc likes this.
  7. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If you have questions about the 1st gen Caymans, I'm happy to talk about mine (2012, Cayman R). I also have a 997 Carrera S.

The 718 are the size of my 997. The 987 Cayman is tiny by comparison. It feels very simple, even bare-bones compared to anything newer. They're fun because of that simplicity and raw-ness. Add in the fact that they're not overpowered -- you have to work a little to get speed out of them -- and they turn in far more "naturally" than the 911s, and they're superb on real world streets and on any twisty section of road. You'll not win any drag races, but you'll arrive smiling.

Having said that, the 718s have some seriously lovely torque grunt that is missing from the 987 and even the 981 Caymans. They can properly scoot, and Porsche improved an already-amazing chassis. If you can get over the flat-4 thrum, they're pretty amazing cars (despite their growing size)

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice. Great synopsis. Thanks! What year is your 997 S? I have a 2011. It's a forever car for me.

Right before the pandemic, I parked next to a guy - not next to but a respectable car guy distance away! - in a Cayman R. At Costco of all places. We chatted while the wives were off buying 40 packs of toilet paper or whatever, and he loved the R. Had it for about a year or so at that point. Said he preferred it to his former 911.

T

9. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #134 zygomatic, Sep 7, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    My 997 is a 2010, so just a year before yours. And, like you, I consider it a forever car. Although I will admit, I've been looking (lately) at 997GTS and air cooled cars. It's a tug-of-war of the soul: can I give up what is an amazing 997?

It is pretty rare to see Cayman Rs in the wild. Even rarer at Costco, given the rather limited carrying capability. (Occupants were uninjured in the crash thanks to the 2,400 rolls of toilet paper that completely filled the remaining cabin space. Said the driver: thank god for PDK, we could never have driven this way with a manual)

Do I prefer the R to the 911? That's a tough question. The R brings me closer to "pure" driving - less between me and the road. But the 911 is an amazing car. Admittedly it feels like a luxury car after the R. But it does everything well. So very well.

I will say this: as i sit here and write these words, I can't help but smile at how fortunate I am to have both.

Texas Forever and tomc like this.
  10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have a 981 Cayman, and I adore it.

Mighty Joe, BudgetPlan1, tomc and 3 others like this.
  11. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I had a 2020 718 Cayman T (which Zygo was able to sample), and it is seriously the nicest car I have ever owned. I wasn’t the least bit offended by the four cylinder and the car is just an overall joy. Likely my favorite of the current Cayman lineup.

I moved it on to get my 997S for two reasons: one, I had just sold my 993 and missed the 911 feel (but not the oil leaks) and two, I wanted something our little man could ride in and enjoy as well. Funny how I used to chuckle when
    I looked at the back seats…

Zygomatic’s assessment of the first gen Cayman is perfect. I had a new ‘07S and that car taught me SO much. It broke me of my horsepower fixation and was the “gateway drug” that opened up a whole new world of things to savor in sports cars. As much as I liked my Cayman T, when I get another Croc it will almost certainly be a 987 S or R. If you are open to what they offer and connect with them, nothing is quite like them. I drove (in relative anger, I’ll add) an R not long ago and, even with 99,000 miles on the clock, had it not been a PDK I would have bought it right then and there. No questions, no haggling. VERY special little things.

tomc, Mark(study) and zygomatic like this.
  12. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just wait 'til you get it on a track....

Chupacabra likes this.
  13. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #138 Mark(study), Sep 11, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    I bought the 2012 (the last year of the original body style). The car is more retro, old school and raw than the 911 or even the 2nd or 3rd gen Caymans. l call it my jet ski for the road, very good go-cart feel. German’s chose the name Cayman because the car is snappy and agile. Who said Germans don’t have a fun senses of humor? Lol. Great video out there by Everyday Driver, they go into detail of driver experience on all 3 gens of the Cayman. They’ve also done a show on all the different gens of the 911 so good depth of experience when they make real world comparisons.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pawilly and tomc like this.
  14. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    There’s nothing like the rear 3/4 view of a 987. Pure art

zygomatic and Pawilly like this.
  15. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I still love my Cayman R. Made only in 2012 with only 563 in the USA. That is about 11 cars per state. Love the nylon door pulls and the Flat 6 right behind your fat head. Mid engine handles really great.

mrar, zygomatic and tomc like this.
  16. mrar

mrar Karting

Jul 23, 2014
    australia
    My friend bought a Cayman r that was fs a few months back in Sydney.
    He flew from Perth to collect and drove back across Australia.
    I have since driven the car and am a big fan, great car!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

88porsche944 and Mighty Joe like this.
  17. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    That is the color, he got a really great car. Thanks for the photo. It rides really smooth considering. Much more smooth than the 458. Thanks for the photo.

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That must have been an epic trip!
    T

19. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    This thread is out of control for an F-Chat Forum

20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

You should have been here in 2001/02 to see some out-of-control threads and they were about Ferraris sometimes. ;-)