Inspection sticker | FerrariChat

Inspection sticker

Discussion in 'New England' started by bobbypagos, Mar 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobbypagos

bobbypagos Rookie

Dec 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Bobby Pagos
    Hi everyone, I just got my very first Ferrari - 458 spider - (it’s actually at the detailer as we speak). As I was driving the car to get it detailed I realized I needed to get an inspection sticker (Mass). Is this as simple as going to any inspection shop or is this something that requires a little more care? I doubt it does but wanted to check in with the experts. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. ramluro

ramluro Rookie

Aug 8, 2015
    Weston, MA
    Yes, all you need to do is take the car to a local service station that provides the MA inspection service.

You need to have them be cautious when jacking the car. Make sure that they use the correct jack mount points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Congrats on the new car!

In addition to what ramluro wrote, you also have to attach a front plate since the inspection station has to take a pic. Some inspection stations, such as Ferrari of NE, require you to have a solid mount (which is why I couldn't have mine done there), while others will let you either zip tie it or use velcro, or the Carbonio mount. Before you bring it to a station you might want to ask them what they require.

4. bobbypagos

bobbypagos Rookie

Dec 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Bobby Pagos
    Thanks for the reply fellas. Good info on both accounts. I actually did end up purchasing the Carbonio license plate mount a few days ago as a just in case.... hoping I can drive around without it on but we’ll see how that works out.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Ferrari of New England will do it for you -- they have done it for me both with a Carbonio mount and one of those $20 screw-in tow-hook mounts. Or Tony at AutoHaus in Braintree has a place near him that he likes, as I recall. Really any high-line dealer -- McLaren, Porsche, etc. -- should be able to do it. I'd just prefer someone who isn't trying to put a Ferrari into gear for the first time -- and I say that as someone who drove Porsche 911s for 30 years before test-driving my first Ferrari and having no idea how to put it in first ;)

I've driven my Ferraris since 2015 in Rhode Island and Mass. without a front plate and never had a problem. I just keep it in the trunk.

harrisonwebb likes this.
  6. bobbypagos

bobbypagos Rookie

Dec 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Bobby Pagos
    Thanks for the feedback - great pointers.

7. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    First of congrats on the car!!

FofNE will do it easily. I have them my plate with a a bracket and sticky tape. They put the plate on, inspected it, and took it off. Any shop will do it. My local Audi dealer has done it a couple times also. Cars do not need to be jacked for the inspection

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I wonder if FNE has changed their policy. I had my car in for its annual last November and the sticker was due. They would not accept me zip tying the front plate. The service guy said it had to be hard mounted because they "don't want to lose our inspection license". I do know the State sends undercover people to observe inspections from a discrete distance and may also send in decoy cars. Maybe they thought I worked for the State!

As ramluro said they are supposed to jack up the car to check excessive play in the steering. Of course they can skip this as well as any other inspection step and hope it wasn't caught by Big Brother looking in on the cameras. As long as they use the jack points its not a big deal. Obviously if you take it to FNE they'll know where they are located.

vjd3 likes this.
  9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    If the state would provide a nice 612 or FF for their inspection decoy, sign me up!

Nospinzone likes this.
  10. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I have always used FNE for the inspections. I would not trust a service station to lift the car. FNE always mounts the front plate with hardware they have in the back, then they remove it when I pick it up.

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hmmm, they didn't offer me that. I guess maybe you actually have to buy a Ferrari from them. Or maybe they really thought I was an undercover for the governor! :D

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  12. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    My experience also here in MA. Station I use, good friends, require me to have a "permanent" plate mounted. State has monitored them and others. I purchased the plate mount that attaches in the Tow Hook Hole. Drive down, get sticker.

Nospinzone and Davesvt2000 like this.
  13. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    A small bracket with double sided sticky tape is what I do. Attach it to the underside for a few minutes and you’re done. FofNE sticks it on for me and inspects the car.

14. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Ok, took our Portofino into Ferrari of New England for inspection today. For some unknown reason, I could not find the front plate. It was not in the car and I have no idea where it is. After searching the entire car, we gave up. I went online in the waiting area to RMV and filed for a lost front plate. It cost me $10. I emailed the letter stating that I had lost it and a new one has been ordered to the service tech and he could use that to do the inspection. Easy.

Nospinzone likes this.
  15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea sure, you buy a Portofino and a F8 in one year and you get the red carpet. I'm just chopped liver!

Actually, that's not a bad idea. It's worth the $10 not to even have to attach the plate. Things that make you go hmmmmm. :D

16. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Plus, if you get pulled over for no front plate, the lost plate receipt will keep you from getting a violation.
    Your welcome.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Nospinzone likes this.