Installation of 512 bbi engine | FerrariChat

Installation of 512 bbi engine

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by pshoejberg, Mar 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Hello all experts. I'm just about to install the engine in my 512 bbi and have prepared the engine and engine room according to the pictures below. This is my first bbi engine installation job so I'm a bit on thin ice and would appreciate some hints and advise from the more experienced petrol heads on the forum. The plan is to lower the engine into the engine room using a giraffe hoist with a load / balance leveller. I plan to install the engine with the clutch housing removed but with the generators, compressor, coolant hoses and the short oil hose attached as indicated on the picture. I have pre-installed the long oil hose and the two alu coolant pipes in the engine room. Is this a good plan or will something be conflicting? I did some searching but was not able to find a good instruction.
    Best regards

Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Supernaut likes this.
  2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #2 Newman, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Do it like this and add the long hose that connects to the coolant tank. Easier now than tightening the clamp in the car.

Right alternator will need to be disconnected at the lower mount to attach the oil line but set the tension now like its a final install. From underneath you can undo the lower 3 bolt bracket to access the line and you wont need to retension the belt.

Also install the fat oil line on the engine and have it just wrap around the oil filter and tighten it on the engine. Once its connected to the oil tank the line wont be rubbing on the filter.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    365 and 512 done the same way. Factory pics show the engines plumbed this way waiting to be installed with an exception. The long oil line is also attached to the engine and someone must be below the car to thread it through the chassis. Not something Im interested in doing. Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Why two alternators?

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Injected 400 has an upper and a lower for the additional accessories like a radio and rear a/c. The Injected boxer has an EQ and radio standard plus power mirrors and additional lighting in the bottoms of the doors, overhead console with map lights, power door locks (activated by key lock only) and two bosch fuel pumps. The stock alternators dont put out enough so 2 were needed. You'll notice the Testarossa got a big buick alternator.

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks for the very thorough write up Newman. Spot on what I was looking for, much appreciated! There is not much elbow room left in that engine room when the power unit is landed so it's great to have the right starting point.

Best Peter

7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Mission completed. The engine went in today with a little guidance from the big boys and everything set up as per Newmans recommendation. 10 minutes job from start lowering to landed and not a scratch or any bent brackets. Thank again for the help, this is a great forum.

Best regards Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

EZORED, AtSomePoint and Newman like this.
  8. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Nice job. It's a big relief when it is sitting back in the car and no mess ups. Now to put everything back on and get that first drive. Can't wait to read your first write up when the car is back on the road. The light is blazing from the tunnel now.

Newman should write a book.

pshoejberg likes this.
  9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Even the 2 alternators were not really enough. Sitting at a stop with the fans on and the turn signal going you can hear a change in tone of the Digiplex and the motor missing in time with the turn signal.

pshoejberg, turbo-joe and Newman like this.
  10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Injected BB and 400 also has 2 high pressure fuel pumps.

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    and driving in the night with lights on it is much more bad