Installation of Passenger Display at dealer needs new harness? | FerrariChat

Installation of Passenger Display at dealer needs new harness?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by dot.notation, Mar 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dot.notation

dot.notation Rookie

Jan 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    GTC4Me
    I found a used GTC4Lusso at a Ferrari dealership with almost the exact specs I wanted. It was only missing the Passenger Display and Apple Carplay.

While deciding whether to buy it or not, I discovered that the Passenger Display can be retrofitted as an aftersales option. As perhttps://www.ferrari.com/en-SC/auto/genuine/gtc4lusso/passenger-display.

Because of this I went ahead and purchased the vehicle, as well as the Passenger Display. I gave up on Carplay since it would require a different wiring harness. I took delivery of the car in the meantime, and when the Passenger Display arrived I dropped it back at the dealer for fitment.

But now the dealer is saying I also need a compatible wiring harness. They’ve ordered this (so more delays waiting for it) but it will also require pulling apart the dashboard to fit!

It doesn’t make sense to me that Ferrari would specifically advertise the passenger display as an aftersales option, when in actual fact it won’t work unless your wiring harness is changed. With that mindsent, if you’re willing to pull apart enough of the car, anything can be retrofitted! Does this sound right? Has anybody else had this done?

And secondly, if they’re already pulling out the wiring harness… couldn’t I just as easily now fit Apple Carplay?

PS I’ve found that once you’re driving, all the navigation options are locked down, so it seems the only way for a passenger to add routes etc is via the passenger display, ie. they almost seem to force the passenger display?

2. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Well, let's me just mention this odd fact: I have a FF from 2016, I can not retrofit the passenger display even if I wanted since - yes - the wiring harness is different.....

3. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    There was a change in displays from FF to lusso.

Not all that surprising it requires another harness. I’d be asking about how easy it is to add CarPlay ‘while they’re in there’

4. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Yes I know, all displays was changed. I just pointed out that the wiring harness issue...

5. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I will chime in the passenger display is a complete waste. I have and have turned it on once. It would be cool if it came on when you started the car but you have to physically turn it on…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rumen1 and andyrichter like this.
  6. dot.notation

dot.notation Rookie

Jan 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    GTC4Me
    Thought it might be helpful to anybody reading this to know that the installation was done successfully. It did need the harness in addition to the screen itself.

And while they had everything dismantled, I did manage to get them to install CarPlay too, it was another part over and above the harness, but I now have CarPlay!

I'm going to have to ask Ferrari to upgrade my "Options" plaque at this rate :eek: I wonder if they do that for Ferrari dealer installed parts!

pdxjim488, Alexcle, ANOpax and 3 others like this.
  7. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    Hi there,

what year is your f12 and do you know the part number or harness to upgrade to Apple car play? Also is there good enough pixels or clarity for CarPlay??

8. dot.notation

dot.notation Rookie

Jan 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    GTC4Me
    Hi, I did this on a GTC4Lusso. Happy to share part numbers but I'm assuming they won't be of any value to you.

And, clarity of CarPlay is perfect... but that's on the Lusso screen which is a newer touch screen.

9. nicola garello

Oct 21, 2019
    Miami
    Full Name:
    nicola garello
    How much is it? And how much is retrofit apple CarPlay?

10. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Also, does the retrofitted Carplay still only display in a smaller, square shaped screen in the middle of the big screen? I find it quite annoying that about 40% of the screen surface is not used.

11. nicola garello

Oct 21, 2019
    Miami
    Full Name:
    nicola garello
    Any idea on the cost? Thanks

12. sexybeast

sexybeast Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    please....

13. nicola garello

Oct 21, 2019