Installing carbon fiber rear panel on California | FerrariChat

Installing carbon fiber rear panel on California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by California Dreams, Mar 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
    Does anyone know how to install the carbon fiber rear panel on a California? To replace the black aluminum lower half of the trunk lid where the license plate goes.

The aluminum version has sleeves on the edges so it looks like it could just slip on. The carbon fiber piece has a lip but it doesn't curve back in. Does it need to be glued on and if so, what kind of glue? Thanks.

P.S. Some people have said that Ferrari carbon fiber trim pieces aren't full carbon fiber but this looks like the real deal to me. Can't wait to see how much this improves my track times.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

daytona355, tomc and Federal man like this.
  2. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    I like the CF look. Where did you get it? I am sure it is going to help your track times too. :)

3. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
    It's the OEM Ferrari part (#82224500) so you should be able to get it from any dealer. (I checked three dealers and there was a wide range of prices. PM me if you want the specific place I got it from. I'm new here so don't want to piss off any forum sponsors.) There are some aftermarket versions but they are either more expensive or of questionable repute.

I also have a bunch of interior carbon fiber trim but I think this is much more worth it. It's a wide swath of material so you can really appreciate the CF effect. Plus it matches the taillights better vs the matte aluminum.

daytona355 likes this.
  4. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
    I started work on this today and it was pretty easy. To remove the aluminum panel:
    1. Obviously remove the license plate holder first (uses a hex key; don't lose the washers or nuts)
    2. For the test of the instructions, use a flat head screwdriver
    3. Insert into one of the top edges of the sleeve on the panel such that the flat head is perpendicular to the edge of the trunk
    4. Gently pry the panel away from the trunk (you won't be able to remove it yet)
    5. Repeat on other side
    6. On the bottom middle part of the panel, insert the screwdriver between the sleeve of the panel and the trunk
    7. You should be able to easily pry the panel off from there
    As I mentioned, the carbon fiber panel doesn't have a sleeve though. So I'm thinking of either attaching using double sided tape or making a sleeve out of weather stripping. If anyone has CF rear please take a look and see if you can tell how it's attached. Thanks!

P.S. It may look better without the aluminum panel even without a CF panel....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nick.C, BDeuel and tomc like this.
  5. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
    My original preference to attach a rubber edging sleeve to the carbon fiber rear end and slide it on was a fail. There isn't enough space between the edge of the trunk and the piece.

I looked at a Cali with this factory installed and it almost certainly used double sided tape, so I gave up and used that too. I tried to minimize the double sided tape so I surrounded the edges of the CF piece with 1/16" thick neoprene single sided tape as weather stripping. I also ran a strip across the middle to prevent the piece from rubbing against the paint. Then I put 3M double sided auto tape only on the two far ends next to the neoprene tape. It's a little less thick than the neoprene tape which allowed me to position the piece before pressing down on the ends to stick it on.

Was easy once I gave up and used tape. Next project is covering the fuse panel cover in the passenger foot well with carbon fiber.

6. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
    P.S. The original screws that attach the piece in the license plate area will be too long, since the CF piece is thinner. Original screws were M4*20 hex socket head cap, you will want to get M4*18. I also used 00 rubber washers between the license plate mount and the CF piece to prevent the latter from getting scratched (it came using metal nuts).

7. John Geiger

John Geiger Rookie

Aug 8, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    John Geiger
    Nice write up. Much appreciated. I actually am in the middle of doing this. But looking at that picture without the black aluminum installed I'm wondering if I should just have it painted the color of the body. That actually looks good!

8. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
    I'm no expert on painting but I think it will be hard to get that to look right because the aluminum is textured. Easier just to leave the panel off completely. The only issue with that is a little extra gap between the trunk and the body.

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Looks nice. I thought about having that panel wrapped when I had my Cali 30 ... never did it and it's not an issue with the T, as it's painted body color.

10. John Geiger

John Geiger Rookie

Aug 8, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    John Geiger
    Yes...its nice to know painting is a good option...something I might consider if I'm not happy when I install the carbon. Or when if get bored with the carbon. lol

11. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Very thorough write up, thanks. Where have you looked on-line for carbon fiber parts, I'm looking for a CF engine compartment front panel for my 2013 California 30.

12. John Geiger

John Geiger Rookie

Aug 8, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    John Geiger
    Question for you CA Dreams. When you removed that rear plate you have to take the license plate holder off first. There are 4 small bolts that hold it on and for the life of me I can't tell what kind of head you need to use to do it. It's not a phillips or a hex from what I can tell. It's nothing I've ever seen before unless someone has tried to get mine off and kind of stripped them. The head openings do not even look symetrical. What did you use to get those bolts off?

13. John Geiger

John Geiger Rookie

Aug 8, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    John Geiger
    NVM...I figured it out. But I would like to know how that sleeve was attached on yours. Mine seems to be glued or attached in some way....doesn't want to pry off and I don't want to bend or damage it.

14. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
    At least for me the aluminum panel wasn't glued on. You can't just slide it off though, you're going to have to pry it off as per my instructions (maybe you can skip prying the sides but you definitely have to pry the bottom). You don't need to do it so hard that you would worry about damaging the aluminum, however you do have to be careful about the paint on your car body.

P.S. The license plate bolts were definitely hex on mine.

15. John Geiger

John Geiger Rookie

Aug 8, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    John Geiger
    Unfortunately my aluminum piece was held on by a **** ton of double sided tape. And it must be the 3M stuff because it was STRONG. There was no way it was coming off without a ton of prying and possible bending of the part. So I warmed the aluminum with a heat gun and used fishing line all the way across at the top....pulled it down between the aluminum piece and the body work and cut through all the tape. Voila it's off. Just in case someone has the same issue at some point. Cheers.