Installing Hyperflows Yourself...How Hard Is It? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Installing Hyperflows Yourself...How Hard Is It?

Discussion in '348/355' started by billyfitness, Feb 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    If only they had left a little more room for the ratcheting end to fit! I must have found 10 places where if they had an extra few mm of clearance the job would have been sooo much easier. Anyway good warmup to install those Fabspeeds... :D

2. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    If you have a floor jack then I would jack up the car and remove the rear wheel.

From there put a box (close end wrench) on the bolt, and then use an extension and a swivel on the other end.

3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    PB Blaster is what I use. Works pretty well.

4. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    +1

5. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Try Zep 45, we buy it by the case for the shops.

6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Passenger side Hyperflow is on---Had frozen bolt problem on drivers side--Hopefully get that squared away soon...

7. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    I am in the midst of installing my Hyperflows and I am thinking that Tom Clark is right in his post listed above in saying:

"Install the new cats using the 4"x5/16" bolts on the engine side of each cat. The reason the new bolts are needed is that the hyperflow cats have a much longer (wider/thicker flange) bellmouth or flare at the end of them. This prevents the two halves of the coupler from getting as close together as was on the stock cats."

But I agree with Velocityengineer in saying:

"If you spent all the money on trick cats, why would you use a "mom and pop" hardware store bolt? This is a high stress-high temperature job for a fastener. Crap bolts will seize, crack or even break in that location. Go buy or order nice stainless steel bolts and you wont have to soak everything for days with penetrant to remove them."

Other things that I am noticing as my job progesses:
    -Do jack the car and take the wheels off. It is a lot easier to access the header/cat spring bolts.
    -Be ultra careful with the O2 sensors..get them out of the way in a safe place
    -Loosen not just the 4 bolts holding them exhaust to the mount, but the two at the middle neck as well.
    -Line everything up, put all bolts in, and tighten each bolt just a bit to snug everything into place; keep going around to each over and over again. Do both sides at the same time.
    -Take your time and be patient! (for a hack like me anyway)
    -Billy

8. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I used the stock bolts on the passenger side and they fit fine..Have you tryed the longer bolt?? Doesn't seem to be much room to get a longer bolt in there. Where the bolt protrudes thru there is a flange that will hit the bolt...

9. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    I ended up using the stock bolts. Remember to put anti-seize on all bolts before reinstall.
    I finished today and the hardest part was making sure the donuts between the header and cat had even gap all the way around. Those flanges move around and have a sweet spot, at least coming off of my Tubi Headers.
    Initial start up and slow 8 min cruise was amazing. Even at idle and low rpm these things sound amazing!
    I'll re-tighten anc check it over tomorrow and hope for some descent weather this week to open 'er up!
    -Billy

10. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I am using all new bolts, washers and nuts----any need for anti-seize?

11. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    If you have to loosen and re-tighten during the job, which you will many times, it just makes things smoother. Also, this stuff bakes into the metal and extends the life of the bolts, if you ever have to go back in. I had my engine out service a year and a half ago and my mechanic used anti-seize and all of my bolts which came out very easily. I just put a gob on the table and grab a smear on my gloves.
    Another key to this job is to keep everything relaxed as you line it all up and eventually clamp it down tight, the muffler being the last piece. Be sure to put a piece of cardboard and watch the exhaust tips so that they are even and aren't too close to the bumper to melt the paint.
    -Billy

12. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #39 285ferrari, Feb 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    All done from above the car, not once did I have to go under the car to get to a bolt--unless it was the 120 times I dropped a bolt or wrench...:D I believe the whole process would of been easier without the cat bypass pipe which really got in the way--So you guys with a stock secondary pipe should have NO problems!!!:D:D:D A few pics of the completed setup. Right now I have a X-OST muffler, custom secondary cat bypass pipe, Hyperflow cats and Fabspeed headers are on the way.... Re painted the small shields that cover the CV boot and the muffler heat shield with hi temp paint.... And yes I know there is some dirt in there--I'll get that cleanup before the next car show...:D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    G Rides still has my airboxes, but I want to check the exhaust for leaks and hear it----Will it be Ok to start the car w/o the airboxes on it??

14. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Nice work 285, good write up. Just wait until those Fabspeeds come in! I think it's ok to start up in the garage without driving. Hey were those your airboxes G Rides was selling on Ebay? I just bought them for $10, what a deal! :D :D :D

15. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Man, I thought your avatar was just some pic you had found, but it really IS you, isn't it??? :D

16. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #43 285ferrari, Feb 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes , it is!! :D:D:D here is another from that night with the GF..

17. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    He should of at least $15 for them...:D

18. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Ok---just fired it up and I hear no leaks--Good sign!!! bring on the headers!!

19. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    BTW, you have the wires on one of the O2 sensors wound up like a twizler. I like to prewind them the other way so when the sensor is in the wires are not coiled. Sorry I am just anal that way.

Good work though.

Enjoy

20. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I know what you mean----I actually tryed to wind them up the opposite way and then screw them on while untwisting them, but didn't work so well. It is so freaking tight in there, I just ended up getting them on there w/o ripping the wire out and I was happy...When I get the headers installed and have it up on a lift with more room, I will redo them better....

I ended up leaving the stock bolts on the passenger side and the new ones on the drivers side. By the time I got the bolts the passenger side was already back together. I certainly wasn't going to redo them to add the new bolts. So that is another thing I will do when comes time for the headers--add new bolts to the passenger to match the drivers side...

All the stuff has to come back off when the headers go on, so I will get all those little things corrected at that time..

21. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Awesome!!! Cute GF!!! :D

22. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    I would also snug that rubber 'foreskin' down over the wires too. I pussed out, jacked the car up, and took the wheels off to get in through the wells. A piece of cake to get at the O2 sensors and outside bolts this way.
    Great pix though Robbie...good job. Two of us Hyperflow DIY 'Fratelli' in the same week!
    -Billy

23. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    +1----Long live the Fratelli