Installing my new Diff | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Installing my new Diff

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by qwazipsycho, May 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'm going to do a final assembly today. I will try and take some pics of the wear pattern under a magnifier. Hopefully I can show you what is obviously this exact paint pattern.

2. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Oh, and I decided to change my Avatar to reflect my new found qwazipsycho happiness!

3. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I hate that avitar.. makes me wanna puke..

R

4. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #329 qwazipsycho, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    :) Sorry sir. I'll make it temporary :)

6. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If ANYBODY wants to say I'm not dead on the money then either you're blind or I am crazy! Not saying that me being crazy isn't completely out the question at this point but...

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    This pattern look very good. Different then the previous one. The last one looked more on the toe but this one is great.

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as the pattern looks now scott I would say:

GOOD JOB :) :) :)

drive and coast side looks better than ever before. also the pattern is not ending at the end of the tooth. that is important.

so happy assembling of all the parts :D

9. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Claude, & Romano,

Thanks for the blessing and encouragement. You have no idea how happy I was to finally see a pattern that covered the majority of the tooth and didn't slide off the end or the sides.

I know this has been somewhat of a mess. I'm not a "gear" guy, at least I wasn't until now. I feel so confident that I know this gearbox intimately now.

There is one other TR on this island. Ironically the owner of that car was in the passenger seat of my car when my diff blew up. I know he has been terrified about this problem and has been waiting to see how mine turns out. I suspect he will ask me to do his when I'm finished. If I do, it will take me 1/100th the amount of time I spent on this. The education was priceless.

Thanks to all who have contributed here. I couldn't have done it without you. Romano, although your German to English is a challenge to read, I must say, you were there at every turn and you had all the right answers, except 1 or 2 where we both read the manual wrong. :)

Steve M, Dave H, Aussie Rob, Phil@Forza, thanks to all of you as well as anyone else I missed. I'm sure without you guys I would still be scratchin my head.

I'm putting this thread to rest now. I hope it's as valuable to someone else as it was to me.

What's the one most important thing I learned from all this?? Pinion depth is set at the factory and should not be changed unless you're changing the gears. If using your original gears, set the backlash for the best pattern and go with it. Even if that pattern is heel and toe. As long as it covers a mojority of the tooth and is not sliding off the edge, it's good.

Aloha and Mahalo!!!!!!!

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel

hey scott, you are not finished yet. more problems of adjusting you will get.

so keep us informed how you go on until it is all completed and the car is on the street again.

when you just now have all dismantled you may check the synchrorings.

if you have trouble with adjusting the gears and the shifters just post it. this board here is so great and everybody gets help from everybody. so a great help for all who don´t know how to start with soemthing or how to go on.

why a challenge? did I write so difficult or bad that it was hard to understand? if so then sorry please. but english is not my mother language. but nevertheless you understood all even may be hard to read several times? :)

also we all know now about the mistakes we did how to read this part of the manual right :D

good luck by putting all together again

11. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    No worries Romano. I'm not going anywhere and I'm sure I'll be posting a lot more as time goes on.

As far as the shift linkage? That is one of those things that I already got to know intimately with this car several years ago. That diff setup and gearbox assembly was my biggest hurdle in the whole project. The rest is a cake walk. Er, I should say it's going to be easy ;)

Keep watching!

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    even it is or seems to be easy you can make mistakes
    but if you have done this once you know what to do :)

13. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    HEEEELP!!!! Just when I thought all was well, I installed the axle flanges. When tightening the center bolt for the left side axle flange, it somehow changing preload and locks up the diff.

What the F is going on here?

14. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Seems impossible -- is the flange (wrongly) making contact with the side cover somewhere near the flange OD? Tightening the flange to the splined diff stub should have no effect at all on the bearing system (i.e., the flange should only make contact with the splined diff stub -- see Fig 34, page E38 TR WSM).

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    that is nearly not possible scott :(
    sad to hear that there are problems again :(

could it be that the flange at the diff housing where the tapered roller bearings is pressed on is broken a little???

normaly when you firmly draw the screws for the flange nothing will change inside. so I wonder what is going on there now :(:(:(:(:(

have a look what steve told if the flange is touching the side cover? thisd also could be because you put in an othe cover, may be it is too thick?

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The diff you purchased..was it a complete assembly with internals already installed?

17. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If I put the right side flange on nothing changes. When I put the left side on it tightens up the preload but I can still rotate it, just not by hand, only with a prybar. It does not feel like it's rubbing on the side cover. It just seems to draw the diff to that side.

It is moving the whole diff because the gear pattern changes too.

I really don't know where to go from here. This is too weird, not logical.

Oh, and yes the diff was fully assembled when I bought it.

18. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    DId you read the thread response from Testamon about the Capristo LHS carrier?

P

19. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi Phil, no I did not. Can you point me to it?

I did get an email back from Robert Hayden. He has used this Capristo cover befor and he said that there is nodule that must be ground with a die grinder because it contacts the flange. I looked at that nodule and couldn't see any scuffing but considering how smooth the flange is, it's probably not going to scuff it. I will remove the flange and take a closer look at that nodule. I REALLY hope that's all it is because the final assembly really needs to be the FINAL assembly.

20. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    DId you read the thread response from Testamon about the Capristo LHS carrier?

P

21. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Testamon wrote...
    "On re-reading that you may be correct. I think you may have the flange touching the outer case on final torque up. If you have a capristo side carrier I think this has been known to happen before!"

P

22. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes, I did read that yesterday. I thought it was odd that he posted that statement in a thread about the WSM. I guess he was reading too fast and furiously he didn't realize he was in a different thread. Oh well, I think and hope he's right. Should just take a little grinding to resolve.

23. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #348 qwazipsycho, Jul 25, 2013
  24. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #349 qwazipsycho, Jul 25, 2013
  25. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Hey Quazi,

Where are you in Maui? Im at the Marriott down by the Four Seasons.

Christian