Installing QA-1s | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Installing QA-1s

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by walawdog, Apr 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I'm ordering parts for some more QA-1 Shock Adapter kits. The price is still $127 + shipping for a 4-wheel kit.

DESIGN CHANGE:
    Have made a minor design change. I've been getting reports that it's consistently been taking 2 of the 0.030" washers/side,(4/bushing). So, I'm switching to 1 0.060" washer/side(2/bushing). However, I'm still including 2 of the 0.030" washers/bushing so you can fine tune the fit if necessary. Not a big change, the old kit had 6 of the 0.030" washers but there are now 2 fewer parts to fumble around with during installation.

HOW MANY WASHERS DID YOU USE?
    BTW, I'd like to hear from anyone that's actually needed to use more than the 2 washers/side. It may be that the extra adjustment range is unnecessary. Wouldn't be a big cost savings, but would cut down on the time needed to count out the darned things.

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I've still got a few QA-1 bushing sets at the $127/4-wheel set Group Buy price. Just click on my name, then select [Send eMAIL to Verell] from the drop down menu.

Please use the words "QA-1 Bushings" in the eMAIL subject line.

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Did you mount the shock upside down or anything funky?? I'm going to do my rear shocks this winter and I'm trying to decide if I want to do the fronts at the same time. If I don't have to cut A arms I will. I really don't want to mangle my nice powdercoated A arms!!!

Birdman

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I didn't have to trim mine either. Maybe there is just enough difference between cars???

5. walawdog

walawdog Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Bluefield, WV
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Sorry, with all the power outages around here...I totally missed responding to this post. I didn't do anything funky to the rears at all. Knob facing inward and no trimming of the A-arms on the back.

6. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I don't think anyone had to trim in the back, but some had to trim in the front. Looks like I, along with a couple others, didn't have to trim front or back. Mine "barely" made contact in the front at full droop, so I did not deem it necessary.

Henry

7. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I'm re-posting these here as it's a more appropriate forum:

than the GROUP BUY: Extended Length Shock Eye Paper Weights thread:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=136645970

As to spring rates, I strongly recommend searching the body of posts in the archives for 'spring' 'rate' 'QA1' and 'QA-1" before making your selection.

There are 6-8 excellent threads both here & in the 'old fchat' threads.

8. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    I am, shall we say, a little "concerned" about the grinding away of metal on the A arms that is often performed with this mod. What does this do to the structural integrity of an item whose failure would be catastrophic at speed?

Maybe no one else is concerned by this, but it sure as heck scares me.

DT

9. walawdog

walawdog Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Bluefield, WV
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    After seeing how little I had to grind away to get clearance, I don't think it would make any difference to the strength of the A-arm. Also, the part that is ground down, does it really take any load considering that the arm is moving up and down?

10. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Look further and you shall see that no grinding will take place with the extended shock eye "paperweights".
    I would NEVER grind away any part of my original Ferrari suspension.
    -L

11. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Originally Posted by LouGaudio

{Here is the deal. What is the consensus on QA1 shock stock numbers for use with the "paperweights" as well as the non-paperweight rears (I would like to go dual adjustable), and what about spring length front (paperweight) and rear, as well as rate for street/track use (I am leaning toward Eibach rather than QA1 springs). I could search and guess spring length based on all of the posts, but I have hopes that maybe we can resolve all issues here and put together a list of part #'s for a set up that is workable. I hope to lower the 85 QV 1" rear,1 3/4" front and increase the spring rate and damping ability for tracking, while still maintaining a "fairly" comfortable street ride.}

Ok, so now we are here in Tech Q&A. I guess my real questions are A) how will the extended shock eye affect spring length and overall travel with the car lowered 1 3/4" front. B) can a higher rate spring be shorter (9") than a lower rate spring? C) from what I read Eibach's will have less "settling" than the QA-1's, how will this affect spring length with the extended eye set-up, and overall adjustability and travel ?

Originally Posted by chris03053
    {Well Lou,
    These are the part numbers i got

QA1 SHOCKS--DR4855P
    QA1 SHOCKS--DR5855P
    Springs-- 10-300 Front
    Springs-- 12-250 Rear

I will be ordering them soon.}

Thanks for the #s Chris,

Does the shock you are ordering take into account the shorter available travel due to the extended mounting eye ? Or does it even matter ?

These are lifes tough questions for me this week.

Anyone ??? Chris03053? Enjoythemusic? Verell? Birdman?

-Lou

12. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Lou,

I'm hoping it all fits. :)

Birdman had this thread going (warning Paris Hilton photos:D) so I'm going with the info he had.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134442

Sorry, I can't answer the other questions.

Chris

13. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Searching the archives shows that 3 different QA1 shocks have been used:

Proma Star Dual Adjustable (premium, best for track, requires more fiddling as 2 knobs):

DDR4855P
    DDR5855P

Proma Star Single Adjustable (Track & Street, most commonly reported used):

DR4855P
    DR5855P

Aluma Matic (Auto adjusting, Street, economy):

ALN4855P
    ALN5855P

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    If you'll read this thread, you'll find that Birdman & I have elminated this problem:
    QA1 Front shocks with NO A-arm modification!
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134442

15. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    I know that the grinding is no longer required, which is great! I was just expressing concern about those that had already been ground. While it ain't my car and all, I'd hate to see someone hurt. In fact I'd hate to see anyone hurt for any reason.....

DT

16. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Thank you, my friend.

Proma Star Dual Adjustable (premium, best for track, requires more fiddling as 2 knobs):

DDR4855P
    DDR5855P

Now on to spring length/rate. Verell, do you think using a 9" spring is advisable due to the reduced spring perch to spring perch length with the extended mount ? I want to be sure I have enough adjustment to lower the front quite a bit (using Eibach 350lb, per Enjoythemusic they don't settle much at all).

Your input is truly appreciated.

-Lou

17. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    So after searching every suspension upgrade thread, reading real world advice from experienced users, and researching spring compression and shock adjustment data, here is my decision. Best choice for cost, adjustability etc. for street/some track use QA-1 DR single adjustables. Best spring choice is Eibach's 12" rear, 10" front (should be fine with the extended top eye, as the total adjustable drop is 3") I have decided 375front/325rear is my choice for a solid street/canyon ride and good track performance. Summit Racing part #s and cost copied below.

Part # Item Price Qty Price

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EIB-10002500375 Coil Over Spring, Red Powdercoated, 2.50 in. Diameter, 10 in. Length, 375 lbs./in., Each $61.69 2 $123.38

EIB-12002500325 Coil Over Spring, Red Powdercoated, 2.50 in. Diameter, 12 in. Length, 325 lbs./in., Each $59.95 2 $119.90

HAL-DR4855P Coil-Over Shock, Aluminum, Clear Anodized, Street/Strip, Front/Rear, Eyelet/Eyelet Mount, Each $160.99 2 $321.98

HAL-DR5855P Coil-Over Shock, Aluminum, Clear Anodized, Street/Strip, Rear, Eyelet/Eyelet Mount, Each $160.99 2 $321.98

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts Total: $887.24
    Handling Charge: $10.95

Total Order: $898.19

-Lou

18. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Lou,
    As I mentioned in the 'w/o a-arm mods' thread, The Koni shocks SUBSTANTIALLY pre-load the OEM springs. Equivalent preload needs to be factored into your spring length choice. I've been concerned that 10" 250 lb springs might not have sufficient pre-load. I think staying with 10" fronts with your 375 lb was probably the right thing to do.

CAVEAT: I haven't completed a a complete analysis of 308 spring rate vs ride height vs preload for the QA1s vs Konis so I'm not comfortable making specific spring recommendations. I've got a friend that has a commercial racing suspension analysis program that I hope to borrow & run the 308 numbers thru later this summer.

However, I think you did the right thing by researching prior posts & deciding what fits your driving style. I'll be very interested in some ride height & spring length under load measurements after you have your springs installed & corner weighting adjusted.

re:
    I believe the risk is pretty low.

If you analyze the A-arm design, you'll see that the area being modified shouldn't be a major load carrier as it goes between the two mounting brackets for the A-Arm inner bushings. One of the bushing mounts would have to give way before that part would come under significant stress. Also, it's a piece of 'angle iron' so there's substantial structure remaining on top of the A-arm as well.

I've seen quite a few cars where their a-arm designs don't have any cross-member in this location, but just count on the bushing mounts to do their job. Altho, they do use fairly hefty Al castings for the A's legs that hold the inner bushings.

However, I agree that avoiding any structural modification is wisest unless extensive mechanical structural analysis is done. Hence the way we did Birdman's shocks.

19. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    My new QA1's arrived from Summit Racing today, super fast delivery, but the Eibach springs are B/O until 5-14. Summit quoted availability by 5-2-07 at time of purchase, FYI (but they did send me a free Summit Racing hat). Should dovetail nicely with availability/shipping of parts from Verell and the "other" projects on the QV.

Verell,
    Glad you support my choice on the springs (if the street ride makes my fillings fall out I can always change to a lower rate setup for not too $$). From reading others experience, it seems a 400 rate front is a good track rate, and 300f/250r is a safe bet for street. A -50lb differential for the rears seems the way to go across the board, so I think my choice is a good compromise for how I use my car. I will, of course, post numbers and results as I complete the set-up and corner weighting.

-Luigi

20. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    That was fast. I'm still waiting for mine.:(

Must be coming by stagecoach. :)

21. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
  22. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Since you're probably installing QA1s, you should read the following carefully:

23. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Gentleman,

How do you spin those adjusters on the bottom of the springs?

The front ones seem they can spin but the rear ones are tight.

They didn't come with any special tool.

Pizzaman

24. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Borrow Birdman's tool, it's purchased separately.