Installing the Interstate MTZ-34R in F430 | FerrariChat

Installing the Interstate MTZ-34R in F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by caymangone, Feb 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    After lots of research, I decided to go with the Interstate MTZ-34R AGM battery as a replacement to what's in the car now. I think others have posted no issues with the install, but wasn't sure since the height of the Interstate was taller than the Duralast that was in there. The only issue I ran in to, which really wasn't an issue as it turned out, was the placement of the hold-down bar. I found since the battery is taller, you run out of threads on the hold-down rods when placing the bar across the top leading edge of the battery casing. However, there are horizontal ridges along the front side of the Interstate that the hold-down bar catches and allows you to cinch down the nuts just fine. Rock solid with absolutely no movement or chance of vibrating loose. The pictures doesn't show it well, but there is plenty of clearance between the battery posts and the horizontal black bar that the foot well cover mounts to. Now I'm just waiting on the Ctek 7002 trickle charger to arrive to install the pig-tail quick disconnect.
    One thing about the Interstate AGM is that it weighs in at 46.5 pounds. Not sure how this compares to other AGM options out there but that's about 10 pounds more than the Duralast H6-DL that came out of it. But of course the Interstate offers 800 CCA compared to the 615CCA of the Duralast and just an all around better battery that comes with a full 4 year replacement warranty. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bob in Texas and Buzios like this.
  2. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Sylvan Lake Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    If your F430 has the Factory Charging Port CTeck has a plug-in attachment for that. It can be found on EBay

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks KBR54. I'll look into that.

4. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Sylvan Lake Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    The Factory Charging Port if installed is under the Glove Box on the right side about where the string to open the Glove Box if no power is.
    The advantages of using this is the car will not start if it is plugged in and there is a Charging symbol on the dash.
    I can send you a pic of where it is if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Perfect. I'll look for it this evening and reach back out if I cant find it. Thx!

6. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    KBR54 likes this.
  7. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yep! Found it! Thanks guys! Much better over what I was planning on doing.

8. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    pumping life into an old thread... but is it possible to retrofit the factory charging port if your car didn't come with it?

9. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well, I guess it's possible to get the charging functionality if you are handy and can find the parts. I don't think you would be able to get the second part of the functionality which is: When plugged in, you cannot start the car, a loud relay clunks and you get a battery symbol on the dash. Works this way so you don't drive off still connected.
    If you match the pin-outs on the connector you could wire the receptacle direct to the battery mimicking that part and have an OEM plug for the charging. A fellow named Warren from a bunch of years ago had a long post of how to wire the plug. I used his instructions to wire the connector to have the shutdown feature. Wouldn't be too had to make this work.

10. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    I'm trying to order an Interstate MTZ-34R, Amazon only lists the non R version on their Amazon store and I'm not getting a response from them on how to order an R version.

Whoever has one, did you have to go through a distributor?

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I go to the Interstate store in my town to get it. BUT, in the last 2 years, both Interstate 34R batteries I bought have pre-maturely failed at 18 months. So now I am looking for a different brand.

12. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Wow that's certainly not very comforting as I have that battery in my car.. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it

13. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Thank you for the head's up. The other I was considering is Odyssey, had one in my last car, tender on it, lasted for I don't even know how many years.

14. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    I put in the Odyssey battery in my F430 last year. Hook it up to a Ctek charger/maintainer.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    did you use the 34R or the 48 H? seeing some posts about the 34R being risky regarding coming into contact with the cross bar

I like the 34R 1500T extreme, sounds like a monster, not sure how much risk is involved