Installing the Pertronix MR-183 | FerrariChat

Installing the Pertronix MR-183

Discussion in '308/328' started by Fairview, Nov 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    #1 Fairview, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a 1978 308 GTS with the original points and condensers set up with dual distributors. The Pertronix MR-183 kit has appealed to me for a couple reasons, one of which is the simplicity. The kit is presently available for approximately $210, so it doesn't cost much more than replacing the points and condenser.

It took me about 3 hours to install the kit. The instructions from Pertronix are actually quite good but I thought I'd post a few photos to give you an idea of the procedure. And I'm posting some "Hints from Heloise" so to speak with things that helped me.

1) Remember to make a note of the orientation of the rotor and distributor you are pulling for the installation

2) Here's what you'll be taking out of your distributor. Note the felt lubricating pad and holder are still installed, more on that in a moment
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    #2 Fairview, Nov 19, 2012
    3) The holder for the felt lubricating pad is held by soft aluminum rivets. This needs to be removed without leaving pieces in the lower chamber with the centrifigal advance assemblies. I carefully worked the holder back and forth with a Vice Grip until it came out. Lubricate the centrifigal advance assemblies while you are in there. *Note-see the circlip around the rotor shaft? This needs to be taken off and reinstalled but this isn't noted in the Pertronix instructions*

3. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    #3 Fairview, Nov 19, 2012
    4) Follow the Petronix instructions from here but let me give you a hint. If you take a felt tip pen and mark in different colors the pickups and the distributor body, you'll be able to determine which set of wires goes to each pickup after installation. That can help in determining which set of wires goes to which coil. And the last picture is the distributor ready for installation.

4. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    #4 Fairview, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    Very impressive results came from this relatively simple and inexpensive upgrade. After the timing was set (time the engine as you normally would), acceleration is razor sharp right up through 7000 rpm (I didn't go any higher as I was scared- I put my own timing belts on!).

The engine overall is smoother and more turbine-like. Idle is rock solid and the engine will rev quickly and freely (like a Husqvarna chainsaw!).

If any of you have more detailed questions, just let me know or pm.

Jeff

p.s. A query for those with Petronix systems already- could you preinstall another unit in the other distributor, simply not wire it up, and if the first one burns out on a trip or something, connect the wires and off you go?

5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY

6. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I'm glad to see you pointed out the circlip not called out in the Pertronix instructions. I've requested they clarify that, but don't expect action on it.

Tools list: Besides the usual, make sure you've got a good small gear puller to remove the upper bearing on the distributor. At least mine was a bear to get off and my small puller wasn't proper for the job.

Top tip: The insulation on the wires feels nice & soft, and it IS pretty weak & can be pinched, resulting in a short. Treat & route those leads with care.

Someone in another thread reported timing errors from one bank to the other because they reversed the modules from their original orientation on the mounting ring; I wound up replacing one on warranty but even with that, found timing equal from bank-to-bank.

7. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Hi Guys,

Pertonix MR-183 on my list this winter for 75gt4, mainly for simplicity, reliablility, cost meantime eliminating as reducing many ignition problem areas in one go as I can.

Can I ask:

- did you remove the points in both distributors? or leave the slave set in there and just disconnect them?

- can all resistors be removed?

- did you both change your coils? (I have some new aftermarket coils that match the specs of the Pertonix Flamethrowers which i think they recommend to match up with the kit).
    - Don, you pulled the bearing to overhaul the distributors right? was there signs that an overhaul was needed or was that 'while i'm in there'?

- Did you change the spark plug leads?

Sorry, perhaps some very obvious questions.

8. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I haven't removed the leftover parts from the second distributor. I should.
    All resistors can be removed.
    I installed Flamethrower II coils, recommended by Pertronix as best matched to the Ignitor II.
    The top bearing needs to be removed to remove the old innards and install the Pertronix setup.
    Spark plugs are still Cavis.

9. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Thanks Don,

As as I understand the MR-183 is Ignitor whereas the 9MR-183 is the IgnitorII kit (which wont burn out if you leave the ignition on without the motor running). In which case IgnitorII should be the one to get. Does that tally?

Sake of repetition for others reading, understand both are kits for converting points to electronic meanwhile moving that role from 2 distributors into 1 (leaving the other dizzie functioning as a spark distributing slave).

10. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    They list a slew of other benefits of the Ignitor II compared to the original, I thought it was a slam dunk to pay the few extra bucks. It didn't cost much to upgrade at Summit Racing.

11. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    awesome - thank you

12. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Sorry, another dumb question. Once installed, did you change the gap on the plugs?

I currently run 0.20-0.25 but it seems very narrow - perhaps with better spark (new coils) the gap can be increased.

13. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I left my plugs at their as-built gap of 0.029". Some day I might monkey with that.

14. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    I have the same set up as you, Ignitor II and Flamethrower II Epoxy. Also the Flame Thrower 7 mm spark plug wires set. I haven't changed the spark plug gap yet and I am not sure if I should. What is the real benefit from doing this?

/Pero

15. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Had Crane Cam prior to Pertronix and when I checked my old mail I actually asked Summit Racing for what to do with spark plug gap (this was CC system). Increase or what. Answer:

"Hello,
    Even with the high output ignitions, we have really found no performance advantage beyond .040 - .045, so I would keep it in this range."

/Pero

16. DSTP

DSTP Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    MD
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm looking forward to the upgrade! Have a couple of questions. Which dizzy did you guys choose for the installation? What about the mechanical advance? And that micro switch located next to the throttle plate on one of the carbs? I thought that's part of the wiring?

17. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

I used the rear one for better access and that the advance curve was better on that one. Have a -75 GT4, not sure I have a micro switch.

/Pero

18. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    When you remove the points you can also remove the microswitch and bracket. The only thing you might want to do to the mechanical advance is to check it and lub. it. I installed mine in the dizzy closest to the rear of the car. Set the timing at 7* and replaced the coils with Bosch Blue. The system has been installed back in 2000 and I have not touched it. Also I left the plugs at the OEM gap and am using NGK 5's . I only changed the plugs once in 12 years and they looked great.

19. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The Petronix or the Crane Cams set-up do not provide the advance -- the stock mechanical advance system is retained and used.

Both the Petronix and Crane Cams set-ups are an "R1 only" architecture -- the (US) throttle microswitch is not used (and the idle timing is set to the R1 spec, not the R2 spec).

20. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY

Just a question here , how does the Pertronix instruction sheet tell you to set up the other distributor.

21. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Same here except I use 6's. I left the points in the forward dizzy with the gap closed to the limit.

22. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    The microswitch won't be doing anything as it is used with the points (if, in the unlikely event, your car is still using both the R1 and R2 points). No harm in leaving it installed where it is, though.

You should use a stroboscopic timing light to check your mechanical advance in each distributor before doing anything. I found that my rear distributor was not quite advancing all the way, so I used the front distributor and lubed the advances while in there.

This installation is so easy. Frankly, I found it easier than installing conventional points. I wish I had just gone ahead with the Pertronix when I did the first tune up a year and a half ago. It would have saved me a lot of fiddling around.

Does anybody want me to scan and post the Petronix instructions again?

Jeff

23. DSTP

DSTP Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    MD
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Does anybody want me to scan and post the Petronix instructions again?

Jeff[/QUOTE]

Jeff if it not to much, I would appreciate the repost of the instructions or thread link - thanks!

24. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Pardon my ignorance, but how did you convert one dizzy, and are apparently still using two? if I am reading the right?

You state one dizzy has insufficient mech advance, bat apparently it is still being used somehow? That mech adv deficiency is still there, even if the points are not being used in that one.

Or did you find an 8 tower cap for one of your distributors?

I am somewhat confused on this.

Doug

25. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    BTW, having the mech advances in each dizzy not in sync can make for some really weird running symptoms if the advance variation gets too great.