Instrument Cluster issues on our F430 | FerrariChat

Instrument Cluster issues on our F430

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Trini430, Feb 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Trini430

Trini430 Rookie

Feb 16, 2016
    #1 Trini430, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey guys,
    I am trying to help my friend solve an issue with his F430.

At the moment these are the issues being faced:

1) Instrument cluster does not display information
    2) Cluster red light comes on when car is off, goes off if the passenger door is opened (Right Hand Drive Vehicle)
    3) Can shift to first and second normally, to get in gear after that takes depressing both paddles, going to neutral and then back into a gear. It up shifts but then you have no idea what gear is engaged.

Before these issues occurred, the power window switches were replaced (this entails removing the radio also.) Shortly after this was done, the battery died and had to be replaced.

When symptoms first showed up, the cluster ran through various error messaged in a cycle over and over as you can see from the attached photos and video URL. It then proceeded to give the three issues being experienced currently (Listed above).

https://youtu.be/2UpdZi7JTEc

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, especially if anyone had similar issues.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Check the charging system first. Over voltage or under voltage can play havoc with modules. I have seen this many many times, not only on Ferrari's but other cars too.

If all is ok, get it on a scan tool and start pulling faults from all modules and see what you have. But keep in mind, cluster issues are not out of the ordinary in the 430.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not only voltage but bad diodes have been at fault for many problems.

The dash is connected to the CAN system. A failure of any component on the CAN buss can cause malfunctions of any other component on the buss.

Qavion likes this.
  4. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    I would contact Rod Drew @ FAI (Francorchamps of America) in Costa Mesa, CA 92627

Phone number (949) 631-6373

He does repairs on Ferrari Clusters & can answer all your questions

Ballvice and Dave rocks like this.
  5. Trini430

Trini430 Rookie

Feb 16, 2016
    Hey guys not a problem, we will check the charging system to see if there are any anomalies.

The issue is that this car is in the Caribbean Island of Trinidad, so access to an SD3 machine is difficult. I was a software based one available, will post a link and ask for feedback.

I will also contact Mr. Drew and speak to him for some guidance.

Again, thanks for the response and I will keep you posted.

6. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    I second Brian's thoughts that the CAN bus is currupted somewhere. There are many systems that use it for comms, any of which could be causing the fault. SD3 required..

7. Trini430

Trini430 Rookie

Feb 16, 2016
    Ok understood. In speaking to the owner, Ferrari of Venezuela intends to plug in another cluster to determine if the problem exists within. His concern is that the new cluster can also become damaged.

To get an SD3 on the car, we may have to ship it to Florida. Was trying to determine if we could have rented one.

8. SocialBee

SocialBee Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 29, 2015
    New Jersey
    Just sent you a private message.

9. Trini430

Trini430 Rookie

Feb 16, 2016
    Hey guys, we had the cluster replaced. Most things are functional once again. However we could not get the proxy file so some errors are displayed currently and it defaults to low traction mode at the moment. We await another technician visit.

10. Trini430

Trini430 Rookie

Feb 16, 2016
    Ok, cluster programmed and now only the E-DIFF is problematic, I have started a thread for it.

11. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    You may have already done this but I have found that by disconnecting battery overnight to let all capacitors drain , then reconnect - lock and unlock doors w remote and then trunk - then get in car w everything off turn on ignition and wait about 2-3 minutes then turn off and operate car normally can fix a myriad of illnesses. You might try it , if you have 't already.

12. Amber Cooper

Amber Cooper Rookie

Jan 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    AmberCooper777
    Hi guys.
    I also experienced the same problems with my F430 like Trini430.
    But i followed James cln advise about disconnecting the batt overnight and lock & unlock the doors & trunk stuff. But after turn ignition on, wait about a few minutes, restart engine, all instrument panels & meters still dark not displaying any infos. Only the needle lights turned on. I had give up on driving with 2 gears max. I thought is this has something to do with the cluster's fuse burnt or something?
    Anybody expert on this issue? Appreciate ur tremendous advise & expertise...

13. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Hello, did you solved your problem?

14. Benjamin Ho

Benjamin Ho Rookie

Dec 27, 2019
    I also had the exact same issue and to add more details to what @Trini430 mentioned above:

1) Faulty instrument clutter drains the battery of car
    2) Instrument clutter goes back to normal after car is restarted by jump start but will only work for a few times and fails again
    3) Car works perfectly normally when instrument clutter is normal

Went to a few shops incl. Ferrari dealership and no solution can be found other than replacing the instrument cluster.

Mine is a RHD car here in Hong Kong.

Damage for replacing cluster is a hefty ~US$6000!

Car still in shop waiting for cluster shipment from Italy. Fingers crossed no further issue after replacing cluster.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FAI mentioned above can fix just about any instrument problem that is actually in the cluster.

16. Amber Cooper

Amber Cooper Rookie

Jan 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    AmberCooper777
    #16 Amber Cooper, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    Still...no positive sign after all the turn off and on, ignite off & on in 3 min, etc. as recommended by all.
    Had to drive in 2 gears max all day long, then neutral to shift up 3rd, & neutral again to climb 4th & so on :-(

17. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    2009 F430-F1, Having a similar issue, turn the car on and under normal circumstances the car was in "SPORT" mode, using the manettino switch I was able to switch from Sport to Race Mode. I mainly us the car on the race track. Just recently this showed up on my display, see picture. Now the car will only go into "Low Grip Mode" which I assume is the Default Mode. The error code states: ECU NOT communicating with ABS, Have changed both and still having the same issue. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED, Have take the car to several Ferrari Dealers, NO HELP

18. Trini430

Trini430 Rookie

Feb 16, 2016
    So you replaced the ECU and ABS unit, and to no avail the error remains? Sounds like a wiring issue or interference from something else on the CANBUS network. Curious to know if they checked it properly.

19. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    Have checked the wiring harness, have not found any problems. Mainly use the car for track, no Race mode, No Track. Has the mechanic puzzled. He has been working on his issue for two weeks with no results

20. F430htown

F430htown Rookie

May 17, 2021
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hi everyone - any updates on this issue ?

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Do you also have the e-gear warning showing?

22. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
  23. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    Kee
    keep us in the loop when done

24. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    You are getting off very cheap my friend, I paid in total $14,000 in total, new cluster from Italy and installation, once the cluster was installed I have never had any issues.

25. Antmoney

Antmoney Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2009
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I own a 2008 F430 and my instrument cluster is having an issue. Similar to issues on this thread. Dash lights up like a Xmas tree and error code warnings up. Service box has had e-diff warning, car warning with arrows pointing at tires, etc. I have the car at Ferrari dealership and the instrument cluster is being sent to be diagnosed and repaired, to Rod FAI. My question is has anyone had their instrument sent out to FAI and what were typical costs to diagnose & repair? Once repaired, cluster will be sent back to dealership, and reinstalled in my car. If anyone has experienced this issue and had their instrument cluster repaired, let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

cavlino likes this.