Instrument panel illumination - help | FerrariChat

Instrument panel illumination - help

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MauroV, Sep 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Please can someone let me know if the instruments on my 1983 RHD QV are as they should be.

At night, the instrument panel (tachometer, speedo, oil pressure, oil temperature and water temperature) all have a green glow when the lights are on. However, the fuel gauge has a bright white glow.

It seems odd, I always assumed that someone had changed the fuel gauge or maybe replaced a bulb with the wrong type. But I don't often use the car at night so it has never been much of a problem. But now most of the gauges don't seem to work so I need to do something about it. Should I try to get the the fuel gauge light to match the other lights or is it meant to be a different colour?

Thanks

Mauro
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Everything should be amber rather than green or white.

3. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    It may be model/market specific. My '87 US Market car is all white, to add to the confusion.

4. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Thanks. So it looks like whatever the colour of the instrument lights illumination, having one gauge which is a different colour to all the rest isn't correct.

Mauro

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The gas gauge is correct. Except you've probably got 1/2 a tank. :D

ronfrohock likes this.
  6. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    QVs are green.
    3.2s are amber.

There is a green filter cap on each lamp housing inside the instrument. This was done to adjust the light color of the incandescent bulbs of the instruments to the (then only) green output of the 12V LEDs inside the dashboard switches.

7. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Ok, thanks for that, so it could be the original fuel gauge but the green filter cap is missing?

8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    You're welcome. Check if there is an LED in that one that would overpower the green shade??

Here the colors of mine (The before and after refers to the binnacle angle change):