Insurance covering two states FL and WA | FerrariChat

Insurance covering two states FL and WA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F14, Nov 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F14

F14 Rookie

Aug 16, 2017
    Hello Folks, I am planning to purchase my first Fcar and need some input for car insurance that can cover 2 states (Florida and Washington). I plan to purchase the Fcar in FL but plan to drive it in WA and FL. The car must be registered in FL and have FL plate and tabs. I have property in both state of WA and FL so I can provide proof of residency no issues on both FL and WA state.

ASK:
    - Have any of you done this? i.e. buy in one state and register there but drive it in different state. How does the insurance work in case if you got accident and needs to make a claim.

- Do you have recommendation of which insurance company can cover Fcar in FL *and* WA state? I want to ensure the Fcar is covered and insured both when I drive it off the dealers lot in FL and when I drive it in WA state (and occasionally drive it back in FL as I spend quite a bit of time in both states FL and WA).

Thanks in advance!

2. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Insurance should not be an issue. The insurance companies will determine in what state/region based on the amount of time the car is in the state.

Issue you may have is registration/tags. Stated usually let you stay in that state with out of state plates for a certain time unless you are active duty military. Cops if they notice the car in the area for extended time can give you a ticket for not registering in that state.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When you insure it your covered in every state. What's the question? I've bought cars in Fla and registered in NY and vice versa. There is no difference.

4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Answer 1: yes. Claim process is the same.

Answer 2: all of them

Just tell your insurance agent what the plan is for the domicile of the car and they will tell you what to do.

As someone mentioned above, the bigger hassle may end up being the troopers in each state wanting you to register it there. So you will want to keep your story practiced and documentation ready for when they pull you over to check (ask me how I know). It's not logical but the reality is that some states' regs require you to register there even if less than "majority of the year". I guess they expect you to register and re-register your car every time you go back and forth. I doubt this happens in real life, but a strict reading of the regs suggests it could. I keep cars in a few states and go back and forth and thus far the only one that "checked" my state of registration frequently was the people's republic of California.

5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Oh, one other thing to be aware of...a state can not only ask you to register your car in their state, they can ask for sales tax "if" you bought the car someplace else, yet are driving it in their state. Again, CA is a real example. Buying a car in one state and moving it to another "soon* thereafter", can result in having to pay sales tax in the new state. (They usually give an offset for taxes paid elsewhere). But, if you buy in a low or no sales tax state, but then end up using it in a higher sales tax state, be prepared...

(*Soon can mean a long time, iirc in CA it's a year)

6. F14

F14 Rookie

Aug 16, 2017
    Thank you Sir! I've sent you PM. Would love to chat with you further.

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    WA is the same way. Buy it out of state and they will charge you sales tax when you register it. Never made sense to me but neither does taxing the same car over and over and over every time it's sold to someone new.

8. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    There is no issue with insurance. I live in two different states and have never been asked to have another registration. My SUV is our main transport between states, but this year, I plan to ship my car to Florida when we go so I can drive it over the summer. I have a Jeep that stays in Florida and is registered there but everything else is registered at our primary home in Texas.

9. F14

F14 Rookie

Aug 16, 2017
    Thank you all for the replies!

10. Copasetic222

Copasetic222 Karting

Jan 25, 2009
    I bought an FF in Florida in February, registered it in Florida, became a Florida resident the end of March and switched insurance from a Minnesota insurance agent to a Florida agent (on all my vehicles).

Was with Travelers for years but had to switch to Met Life because the value of the FF was too high for Travelers. Was pleasantly surprised with the rates and no issues so far.