Insurance for a semi daily driver. | FerrariChat

Insurance for a semi daily driver.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Threeofnine, Sep 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Threeofnine

Threeofnine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    I drive my Testarossa quite a bit. I currently have it insured via Grundy but there are so many restrictions I am looking to make a switch. Especially after talking to my agent and he informed me that I wouldn’t be covered if I took the TR on vacation to the beach unless I took my daily driver too. The reasoning being that I’d have to use the TR as a daily driver while there and that’s not allowed. Also, any trip to a supermarket, post office, school etc will not be covered.

Are there any insurance companies that will write an agreed value policy without all the restrictions of a typical collector car policy? I’ve heard that putting a classic exotic car on a standard insurance policy is a very bad idea.

2. mcw

mcw Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    My collector cars are insured for normal usage by American Alternative Insurance Corporation (NAIC number 19720). You might inquire with them if they would cover your needs. USAA covers my modern cars and after many years of covering all my cars, USAA offered recommendation for the older cars via what I now use. I had found that prominent classic car insurers did not cover unrestricted, normal usage.

Threeofnine likes this.
  3. Threeofnine

Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    thanks! I’ll check them out.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Traveler's might work.

Threeofnine likes this.
  5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hate to say this, but whichever company underwrites Porsche Insurance might do this.

When I bought my ‘93 911 last year, I needed agreed value coverage for obvious reasons, and it was my only car at the time. Hagerty, Grundy, et al wouldn’t touch it. Porsche did, and the rate was actually lower than the crappy Geico policy I had in the interim.

Worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Threeofnine likes this.
  6. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #6 Aerosurfer, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    So who is the company?

EDIT... looks like Mile Premier LLC is the underwriter, but a quick search shows they are only available in certain states for mileage policies

Threeofnine likes this.
  7. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    CHUBB wrote me an agreed upon value policy that covers everything except acts of terrorism and tracking the car. I’m free to drive it as I please when I please. The underwriter is everything in my experience and I’m happy that both parties have done well by me.

Threeofnine likes this.
  8. Threeofnine

Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    Chubb is actually who I intent to call tomorrow. I’ve not had any luck over the last few days after reaching out to a few independent agents. I was told Safeco will write a general use policy but their agreed value limit is only around $100k.

020147 likes this.
  9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Why? I have my daily driver TR insured by State Farm (along with my other cars and house). To me, the "bad idea" is getting a lower-cost, restricted policy and then violating the restrictions.

Threeofnine likes this.
  10. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    I’m sorry to hear of your troubles finding an agent. If you cannot find someone locally you can shoot me PM and I can ask my agent about writing an out of state policy. He has done some interesting things in the insurance world and may be able to help if all else fails.

Threeofnine likes this.
  11. Threeofnine

Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    This is what I’ve been told by others (so it could be completely wrong). A standard insurance policy likely has labor rate caps so will not pay exotic car labor rates . Also, in the event of a total loss, they will probably low ball you.

12. Threeofnine

Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I’m going to try a couple more places but if I come up empty I would definitely appreciate you inquiring with you agent.

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I think that you can still get an agreed value if willing to pay an appropriate premium (although might take hassling with a 3rd party appraisal). ANY/EVERY insurance company will low ball you ;).

14. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I tried, but the usual candidates -- State Farm, Progressive, etc. -- wouldn't.

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #15 Steve Magnusson, Sep 15, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    A new customer out-of-the-blue for a single car = yeah, that's difficult. Were/are you a long-term, multi-policy, minimal-claim customer of those companies? I think that can make a big difference when it comes to exotics/agreed value (I've had an initial positive vibe from State Farm for doing this on a restomod that I've got under-construction as long as it appraises out OK)...

16. Luis A.

Luis A. Karting

Jul 14, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    [QUOTE="Steve Magnusson. ANY/EVERY insurance company will low ball you ;).[/QUOTE]
    Not the case with an agreed value policy.

17. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Not the case with an agreed value policy.[/QUOTE]
    That comment was with respect to a "standard policy".

Luis A. likes this.
  18. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You don’t really know till you file a major claim — totaled or stolen. For a traditional policy, I believe the insurance company pays whatever their algorithm dictates.

It’s fine for a daily driver, but for them a Testarossa is just a used car from the 1980s. One with very high accident repair costs…

I had agreed value with Chubb for my ‘56 Porsche and it was a zero hassle settlement.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    I don't know if any of the other mainstream insurers are doing this, but AAA, in California at least, has agreed-upon value classic car insurance just like Hagerty and Grundy. I remember the numbers were pretty similar to what I was paying at Hagerty so I didn't bother making a change.

It has indeed always been conventional wisdom that you'll never get properly compensated for a valuable classic car if you're involved in a bad accident, or a total loss or theft, while being covered in a normal policy.

But… but when I give this some extra thought, even though it's not an agreed value policy, Geico/Allstate/etc still do have to follow some reasonable guideline about the car's value. I wonder if the use the blue book? I mean, it would be pretty tough for them to make a unilateral decision that a car that can be proven to have an average value of $200,000 is not worth 200,000.

And of course it costs considerably more to insure a classic car on the normal policy.

The big problem is if you have a rare version of an existing model that has extra value because of .... low mileage, that Keith Moon owned it, you just spent $100,000 on your $200,000 car to repair it, has a rebuilt engine, etc. etc. That of course is the beauty of the agreed-value policies that the vintage car insurers offer. You still have to sell them on why your particular 911 is so special and you want a policy that's 30% over the "Hagerty price guide" 911 cost, but they do listen, and it seems like they do typically write the policy.

I take the risk (and pay the additional cost) of having some of my vintage cars on my normal policy, because they are used as daily drivers occasionally - and (key point) not garaged. This is a restriction with the hagerty's and grundy's of the world that annoys me more than anything, because I have multiple vehicles. I have personally tried to get some middle ground on the garage requirement with the argument that I have a home that is fully fenced and gated, and the cars can be parked in an area that cannot be seen from the street. But both companies gave me a very immediate, and unwavering "NO" on this issue. I even asked a hypothetical of if I lived in a gated property inside a gated community and it was still, "No"!

Jarrod, your biggest issue is that you don't have any other "normal" car to take the heat off of the Testarossa. It could literally be worth it to you to buy a "normal" car which officially is your "daily driver." Because you're in the worst situation of anyone replying on your post because you can't even get a Hagerty policy without having an official "daily driver".

And it doesn't mean it has to be a 2022 Lexus. For the longest time, my official daily driver was an early '00's Suburban 2500. Until two years ago when I upgraded to a 2013. Which is funny when you think about it, because Hagerty would insure a 2005 Ferrari!

Another huge mountain to overcome is if you commute to a job every day - and your only car is a classic car.

It was mentioned in the replies that Grundy was really hard-core about maintaining extremely narrow usage parameters for their cars, but hagerty is not like that in my experience. I got into an accident in '94 G car at a time of day when it was obvious the car was not being used in the Rose Bowl Parade, but no one from Hagerty contacted me and said "why were you driving the car at 11 o'clock at night?"

I mean Hagerty is seriously upping their stakes in this hobby. This year they took over the naming rights of the official drivers' lounge at the Monterey Reunion, that forever has been the Rolex lounge. (It never failed to crack me up when some guy would be at the entrance and pointing at their Rolex and pleading with the gatekeeper that they should be let in! I guess now people will be flashing their proof of insurance cards...). Hagerty even offered a couple track experience events at Laguna on the Wednesday of the Reunion week. They're also advertising hard for people to insure their street cars for track days and insure full on race cars - something they never used to do. So they're really diving in hard and creating new properties and experiences for their customers, so all this investment would just blow up in their faces if they were constantly hassling people about getting their cars repaired properly etc.

(By the way the F car was repaired at Arroyo Auto in Burbank California which is a place that has done major big-dollar restorations. Hell… they even had a Hagerty booth there! (Which was startling because you'll see the Geico booth in a typical big body shop, and it's usually just a cubicle that the insurance company inspector can camp out at when they're on the road.

So there were certainly no corners cut on this bit of unfortunate body repair, and I don't think I ever even took a phone call from anyone at Hagerty during the whole process.

actually there is one portion of the hagerty lifetime universal experience that they need to do some serious work on and that's the roadside assistance program. Even though I've had a policy for 1 million years I never used it before until pretty recently, and it was terrible. It prompted me to go online and look for some chatter about it, and this roadside assistance program has been roasted online and reviews for years. so it's bizarre that Hagerty doesn't tighten that up.

Well sorry for the long ramble, but maybe there's some stuff in there that could be informative. Jarrod, good luck on your quest.

Threeofnine likes this.
  20. Threeofnine

Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    Thank you for the informative post. Actually I do have a couple normal cars. I own a 2018 Tesla Model 3 and a 1997 Chevy c/k 4x4 pickup truck. The TR isn’t used totally as a daily—there’s no way I’m leaving it unattended in a parking lot while I shop for an hour, also I’m trying my best to make sure rain never touches it. It also isn’t driven to work because I work 100% from home, even before the pandemic.

However, if I want to take it down to the coast for a couple days, drive it to the Post Office, Pharmacy, Curbside Grocery pickup etc. I don’t think that’s too much to ask, but Grundy apparently thinks it is.

21. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    You get what you pay for
    Chubb is my go to choice- no hassles. Even with new high value cars- if total loss they pay the original price of the car not the depreciated value of the car.
    It’s costly but you have peace of mind

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Do you go direct to them or does it need to be through an agent/broker?

23. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I went through my broker

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Jack-the-lad likes this.