Insurance for the California? | FerrariChat

Insurance for the California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by PMCCHRIS, Dec 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PMCCHRIS

PMCCHRIS Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    I just picked up a California (2013) for my new daily driver, I am with state farm with all my vehicles.

Rate just jumped to 3,000 per year (nearly double what I pay for everything else)... Out of curiosity what companies and rates are you guys getting?

2. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    i think i am paying about 1900 for my maserati thru State Farm

3. Jdriver

Jdriver Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Those rates are both high! I live in Mass and don't pay anywhere near that for my 458 or my new Bentley

4. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Varies from state to state, of course, but as a third car on my GEICO policy, it's about $1,300 a year. I did rate quotes with two of the collector car companies, and comparison shopped with another major carrier, and this was the best full-coverage policy I found. I had switched from 21st Century to GEICO a few years ago when their rates for convertibles rose dramatically. Shop around & you'll find something suitable.

5. PMCCHRIS

PMCCHRIS Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    Well talked to Farmer's who handle my home owners policy. 11K a year...

I have ZERO tickets on my record as well as zero accidents...

Texas vehicle, age 26.

6. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    You've got to age about 20 years very quickly, I suppose. Under 30 years with a car worth seven times your age will cost you various body parts or first-born children, I'm afraid. We all pay for our chosen paths in one way or another; insurance for a Ferrari is one of those problems others would like to have (until, of course, they actually have it and get to pay the bill). Good luck finding a reasonable rate (really).

7. PMCCHRIS

PMCCHRIS Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    Thank you sir,

I was under the impression that post age 25 the rates were not age influenced?

I spoke with my insurance representative with State Farm. A huge portion (around 1,000$) of my rate is un-insured or under insured protection, I was notified however that if someone without insurance hits me I can make the claim under my collision coverage and that the uninsured/under is a useless aspect.

Is this correct? Or should I simply keep it for peace of mind?

8. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    Hi - I also live in Ma but pay more to insure my 2013 California. Mind sharing who you insure with and the deductible? Thanks

9. Gofast430

Gofast430 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Don Dearmore
    2013 California State Farm in Kansas. Full coverage with $250 deductible comp.
    and collision. $742/6 months.

10. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    458 spider MSRP 337k age 42 Georgia no tickets last4 years my standard rate is about $5000 year but with discounts home multi car etc it's around 2200 year With state farm

11. Italian Stampede

Jul 10, 2014
    I was with State Farm for years, but they just kept raising the rates. I even had the multi-line and multi-car discounts, and they were still high!

I have since switched to the Barrett Jackson endorsed collector car insurance offered by TDC. ZERO deductible, unlimited roadside, repair shop of choice, and a lower rate than anyone else was able to quote me!

Not trying to make a plug for a company here, just trying to help out fellow Fcar owners!

Amy Spengler
    TDC Risk Management, Insuring Collector Cars, Homes, Watercraft, Aircraft and More
    1440 Arrowhead Drive Maumee, OH 43537
    419-794-1080 Direct
    877-545-2522 Toll Free
    [email protected]
    TDC Risk Management - Commercial Insurance, Affluent Personal Insurance

If you have a decent driving record, and not a ton of claims made in the past.. this is probably your ticket. Better product and less money, win-win.

tomc likes this.
  12. Super50

Super50 Rookie

Aug 31, 2014
    Does it matter (for insurance premiums) how many drivers in the household drive this car?
    In other words, if only one person in the household (with the best record) is the only driver, would insurance premiums be lower?

13. Gofast430

Gofast430 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Don Dearmore
    I have had State Farm for all my insurance for 25 years. Home, auto and business.
    Just received my new Homeowners policy with the new deductible method and I
    am going to change every policy I have. Beware of hidden increases from State Farm
    on policy renewals.

14. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    2012 California $1,900 per year including:
    $1M bodily injury
    $100K property damage
    $1M uninsured motorist
    $1M underinsured motorist
    $10K medical
    $100 deductible comprehensive
    $250 deductible collision
    Road service, expenses
    from Auto-Owners Insurance

My 2012 FF is $2,400 per year for the same thing

Four drivers, six cars, no tickets :), ages 67, 55, 23, 18

15. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    How can u pay so little for the insurance, Rick ? In Italy there's no way to go below 4k EUROS per year. Not dollars, EUROS. Just no way. And talking about a 100k euros 2010 California.

16. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Ouch, glad I'm not driving in Italy! Prices change state by state here. I know my insurance agent works hard to keep the price low too. But I have to think possibly it the odds of having an accident may be higher there? In Ohio we don't have no-fault insurance. Michigan to our north has no-fault insurance and their rates are WAY higher than ours. In Ohio it is illegal to drive without insurance.

In no-fault states if someone else causes an accident, their insurance does not cover it. Your own insurance must cover your car and your passengers so you pay way more because of the bad driving history of others. We don't have that in Ohio.

tomc likes this.
  17. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    Intredasting.

I heard something about that in 2010 while I was in Ft. Lauderdale in Florida.
    Should be illegale EVRYWHERE to drive without insurance if u ask me, freedom or not, rich or not. Then again yes, in Italy Ferraris cost way less than in the US, but taxes and insurance are WAY higher, from what I've seen.

Example : in 2011 Monti (prime minister) decided to apply a supertax on all vehicles exceeding 250 hp.
    For every 1,36 hp more than 250 (meaning for every 1Kw more than 180) u pay 20 euros. Per year :)

For example : the FF pays 2k tax per year. Normally. Now, if u buy it NEW, for the first 5 years u pay 2k euros PLUS 6k euros of super tax. Meaning 8k euros yearly just in taxes. After the 5th year the supertax effects only 65%, so it's 6k per year. When the car is 10 years old, u only pay the normal 2k tax until it hits 20 years when it doesnt pay anymore taxes of anykind and almost no insurance too cause it's considered historical.

Which means 10,500 dollars yearly only in taxes.

Ah, 100 octane gasoline in Italy= 9,62 dollars pg

Plus, for a new FF forget about less than 6keuros insurance per year.

I guess accidents rates are way lower in Ohio than in Italy.

Then again this makes Ferraris depreciate really fast and they indeed become bargains after 10 years when the supertax ends.

18. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    They depreciate here too especially if you drive them every day like I do. And that is OK. Who knows, I may eat half the price of my FF or more next year when I will hopefully sell it to order a new FF.

Good news maybe for you ... since the T only gives its full horsepower in 7th gear, if you promise to only use 1-6 maybe they will give you a tax discount :D ?

19. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    For my usage, I'd be happy just with 1-4 :D

20. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    I have Geico for our everyday cars and Leland West for my California. The three everyday cars (08 Land Rover LR2, 2014 ML350, 2015 S550) with Geico for 3600/yr in TX. Rate is high due to 2 teenage drivers - one 19 and one new driver at 17. No accidents and no tickets - 800+ credit.

Just added the 10 Cali. - Geico quoted additional 3200. Called around, Safeo similar, State farm similar - Haggerty $2500. Finally Leland West at $1670.

to be fair, Geico allowed unlimited miles/drivers and Leland at 3K/year tier - only myself and wife. I am fine with 3K because this is a weekend/fun ride only.