Insurance Question | FerrariChat

Insurance Question

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Dean 355, Oct 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dean 355

Dean 355 Karting

Mar 22, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Dean
    My insurance with A-Plan run out in April but was not renewed as the car went was covered under seperate insurance. The renewal quote was for £953 (which included a 1 year bonus).

When I phoned up the other day to get a current qoute I was told it would now cost approx £1,100. They tried telling me that prices have gone up since April, which I dont buy one bit. I assume they are just trying to fleece me because I let it lapse.

Has anyone else experianced this and is it 'normal' practice.

I have since got cheaper quotes but originally felt I would rather stay with A-Plan if they were reasonably close to the cheapest quote as they seemed to provide good service.

2. Dean 355

Dean 355 Karting

Mar 22, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Something else I just thought of. When they ask if the car is modified, would they include aftermarket exhausts (not decatted) in that, and if so, is it likely to make much difference to the premium.

3. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    You must declare the change in exhaust. Some companies say this does not increase the premium while others will charge.

If you don't it gives them another potential reason to wriggle out of a payment.

4. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ken's right always declare any mods even exhausts.

5. Bronco Jr

Bronco Jr Guest

I switched to A Plan this year, told them I might fit sa sports exhaust at some point, they recorded that on the file, sent me confirmation. No premium increase and when I fitted the exhaust and told them they were fine about it and still no charge.

BUT as the other above advise, telling them is the important thing...

6. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Will I have to declare my minor mods on the Mondy then :)

7. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    In theory, yes. You should declare and ensure that it is recorded even if there is no increase in premium. what is there to lose by declaring?

8. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Sorry Ken it was a joke I was saying to SteveW, see thread below for minor mods ;)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94536

9. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nah, they'll never notice mate ;) :D

10. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
  11. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Actually when I got a quote they didn't really ask for any more, just a few pounds

12. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Shame on you, although I wouldn't say personality ;)

13. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Bet if you had to make a claim and you hadn't told them they would try and get out of paying up.

14. Robgvx

Robgvx Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    RobGvx
    I just renewed with A Plan. I had cheaper prices elsewhere though. - Went to Confused.com.

Interestingly, I spoke to one company whose price went up when I spoke to them, compared to what their web site had quoted via Confused.com. They told me that this was because the price hadn't included for the Tubi, which I had clearly mentioned on the web quote form. When I asked why the price should be higher for an exhaust, they told me that it was because if there were two 360s side by side the thief would steal mine first because it had a Tubi....

Er, right.

R

15. Dean 355

Dean 355 Karting

Mar 22, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Thanks for the replies.

Just got a very competitive quote from AON. Apparently they can class the 355 as a (modern) classic, lowering premiums by up to 25%. Must be a member of the FOC though.

16. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    They gave me the same discount just through being a member of CS.Can't bring myself to rejoin the FOC.

17. Dean 355

Dean 355 Karting

Mar 22, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Perhap's a stupid question but whats CS?

18. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie