Insurance | FerrariChat

Insurance

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by ollie, Mar 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ollie

ollie Karting

Oct 7, 2001
    San Juan Capistrano
    Full Name:
    Oliver B. Cagle
    I know this has come up before and I would be happy to go there, so just tell me or.... What insurance Company should I contact regarding mt 1978 308 GTS. I drive maybe 2000 a year and I want my son to drive as well. These miles include him.

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    How old is your son?

3. ollie

ollie Karting

Oct 7, 2001
    San Juan Capistrano
    Full Name:
    Oliver B. Cagle
  4. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    In that case, I would get quotes from Hagerty, Leland West, American Collectors, etc. If your son was younger, the car wouldn't be eligible for these companies. All of these companies have strict guidelines on driving to work... like, you can't do it. :) Also, give your current company a shot, you never know, they may be competetive. Also, if you want to drive it to work on nice days during the summer, your current, standard insurance company will be a little more flexible with regards to usage.

5. KRIS P.

KRIS P. Karting

Feb 15, 2005
    The OC
    I have State Farm and my Gallardo is $200 a month for $250,000/$500,000
    coverage. You can even take it on a track too.

6. julian355

julian355 Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    orange county
    Full Name:
    julian
    I have my 355 with AAA very cheap 5k per year 82.00 on a three car policy
    AAA.com/usa

7. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    I use Wawanesa for my insurance for my '95 456GT + '95 M3... $1600 / year total for $300 deductible, full coverage, with no mileage restrictions to my knowledge... they are local to so cal.

I've found, by comparison, that American Express has VERY competitive rates - Leland might work for you since you drive very little mileage.

One note is that Wawanesa does not insure cars over $100k (at least they didn't when I signed up a year ago)...

Hope that helps,
    Byron

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I pay around $850 a year for the TR. Full coverage - Deductible is $1k.

Through AAA.

9. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    I would agree with Byron's & Jerry's comments. I was shopping around last year, and stayed with my current provider, Wawanesa. Since it's was the fourth car on my policy - the difference was less than $500 a year for a 328.
    At the same time, I also checked with AAA - and the salesperson confessed that just a couple months ago, they couldn't compete with Wawanesa, but recently, they have dropped their rates, where now, they are pretty competitive. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Good luck.

10. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm with State Farm and pay $1,450 per year for my '02 360M.

11. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    This is pretty common. Rates fluctuate over time and across companies. Company A may have made good investments over the last few yrs, and had low loss ratios, and decided that they could increase their cash reserves, which means they can assume more risks (policies) than in previous yrs. So they'll lower rates to encourage people to switch to their company.

Or, maybe company B didn't manage their investments as well, or had higher than expected loss ratios, and is not able to increase their cash reserves. So they might raise rates they offer to new business, because they want to slow or stop overall growth.

This doesn't happen overnight, but it doesn't hurt to shop your policy every once in a while.

The flip side is, don't jump ship from your current carrier over a few dollars a month. And, like I repeat ad nauseum, having a good relationship with an agent who knows you and your situation personally is invaluable, when compared with the 12 dollar an hour telephone operators you get with the 1-800-companies. :)

12. bostonblizz21

bostonblizz21 Rookie

Sep 28, 2005
    #12 bostonblizz21, Sep 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    dude try checking out http://www.insurance-quote-free.com/chris cheaper! i've checked out Progressive before but they were too high! ugggh! Goodluck
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. DavidsF355Spider

DavidsF355Spider Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2005
    Torrance, California
    Full Name:
    David

I have AAA now, but I'm changing to State Farm, half the price