Intake sound | FerrariChat

Intake sound

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F456M, Nov 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi. Looking at F12 videos today. They have a very distinctive «wooop» intake sound. At least that’s what I believe it is, in addition to the great exhaust sound. When looking at the F12 engine, it looks like it have about the same aluminium intake as a 456/550/575. But why has the F12 that much sound and the older cars have nothing at all? My 2003 Maserati 4200 Coupe had a plastic inlet manifold with one big pipe/hose to the air filter. It had a magnificent sound picture which had a lot to do with that sound coming from under the hood. It was actually much more fun to drive than the Maranello. And just as fast too up to a certain speed. And cost 1/5.... So is it possible to get some more fun and intake sound from a 550?

See this video:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B34tJJVg_Aa/?igshid=656xi4rezsjk

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I think that when Ferrari designed the Maranello, they had in mind a civilised GT, so aimed for quiet rather than raucous.

F456M likes this.
  3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yes thats probably just right. However, I feel the car with that potential could be just a littlebit more hard core.