Integra Type R | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Integra Type R

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Sterling Sackey, Jan 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

#51 Sterling Sackey, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Ryan S., Boomhauer and NürScud like this.
  2. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Wow, nice find!

3. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    If the VIN starts with JH4DC231 . . then it's a real Type R. It's the 231 part that's revealing. A GSR would be a 238 (239 with leather).

4. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I had a clone of this car. It was stolen. There wasn't much left when it was found. Hell of a car!

5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I believe the DC2 Integra is the most stolen car in history. Had a DC2 in high school/college. Was stolen twice. Once in front of my house. Good thing that night, i didnt have too much gas in the tank. Thieves just left it on the sidd of the freeway.

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    In 3 years time, the JDM 96 versions will be legal in the U.S. I'll be looking for one in phoenix yellow. A majority are white. JDM versions are 200-300 lbs lighter, come with better seats, a slightly better motor, and imo a better looking front end.

7. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I remember the same fact. Mine was stolen in front of my apartment. I had received the settlement check from the insurance company and got a call from the police saying they had found what was left of my car. I went to the impound yard and saw the car, it was completely stripped: no motor, tires or interior.

I took the settlement check and bought a new Integra GSR as the dealer didn't have and couldn't locate any Type R's. The GSR was nice but not the same.

8. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    You didn't work at the palmer's Bedford Autodrom in 2000 did you? I did a drivers event there and one of the batch of cars we drove was a ITR 1.8

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Yes that would have been the place. I worked there most of 2000 and was rotated between events but spent a lot of time with the Type R's. Great cars that were enormously fun to drive on the limit.

On thing that was interesting about them is that the Type R engines always seemed to consume more oil than the regular Honda engines. Of course all engines burn more oil when really beaten but the Type R would have quite a lot higher consumption. At the track the cars were very well cared for and always got everything they needed. As for oil changes, because the Type R's were topped up so regularly there was no need to fully dump the oil and all they got were a new filter now and then.

10. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    you may have been my instructor... they said they paired us cuz we were canucks...

i thought the s2k was much more of a hoot of a car to drive than the itr. on the track you dont miss the thin torque down low and you can steer pretty well with the right foot like an E30 old M3. its a surprisingly a tail happy car for a factory setting which was awesome... its no wonder they tone it down with subsequent years. every time i i came around somebody had spun it 100 yards into the wet grass on the 3 gear sweeper.

most entertaining car of the day was easily the caterham 7...

11. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

#61 Sterling Sackey, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ryan S. and NürScud like this.
  12. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

We shot a short driving film with my '00 Integra Type R, hope you guys enjoy!

Ryan S. and NürScud like this.
  13. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Still enjoying this car 9 or so months after purchase in mid-July 2017. With 32,000 original miles, each time I get an offer I can't quite convince myself to give it up. :)

[​IMG]

14. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Best Motoring's first review of the Integra Type R in 1995, in 3 parts. Watch the initial scene for some awesome high-rev driving sounds. An early NSX-R joins in on the action. Turn on subtitles for English under the "CC" button.

15. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Each B18C engine produced for early Integra Type Rs had its ports polished by hand, by a skilled engine builder at Honda. This is part of the reason why, at the beginning, Honda actually lost money on every Integra Type R produced! The engineering department convinced the accounting people at the company that a zero-compromises platform for racing homologation would be worth the loss, and so the car was green-lit despite the lack of profitability.

The engine work resulted in around 111 horsepower per liter, a record at the time and about the same as found in a Ferrari F430 a decade later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Very cool!

17. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Boomhauer and NürScud like this.
  18. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  19. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

S2000 CR!

GuyIncognito likes this.
  20. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Boomhauer, Julia and joe sackey like this.
  21. Jonsav

Jonsav Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2014
    Canada
    GLWS, strong numbers on the white one that just went.

22. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Sterling, you might rather not say, and that is of course your right, but I would be curious to hear these cars backstories. How does any car travel through so much time with so little use and so little wear? Was it deliberately preserved? Was it forgotten? Was it stored and just lost? Very unusual for any car, compounded by it being a desirable car. I love a good story. Again, I understand if you dont want to reveal too much of your business method, but I was curious.

23. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

It doesn't really have to do with a business method. How does a Ferrari travel through time with so little use and so little wear? Caring owners and someone who recognizes the collectibility of the car...

The car has 33,000 miles, I'm not really sure why you're acting like it has zero miles on it!

24. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P

Ferraris are rare and exotic. A lot of them are bought for reasons other than primary transportation and are stored away and fussed over. Most of them have very low miles. Acuras are normal cars. Theyre driven to the grocery store, to the mall, they get door dings, they get stolen, they get left out in the rain and in the sun, they haul stuff to and from work and school. So yeah, an almost 20 year old car with 33k miles seems to me clearly someone either was protecting it, which is interesting, or it was lost somewhere, which is interesting. I dont recall acting like it has zero miles, but it certainly has less than its peers, which have long ago been modded and used to death. Good luck with the sale.

25. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

That's correct, but this is not a normal Acura, it's an Integra Type R, which was recognized as a very special & limited model even when new. The original owner of this car paid $5,000 over sticker for the privilege of purchasing it in the year 2000. It's not as rare as a Ferrari F40, but it is nearly twice as rare (by production numbers) as a Ferrari Testarossa. There are people at every level of car collecting who recognize something special and want to preserve it as a weekend driver rather than a daily driver. Not to mention the fact that the Type R is not a good daily driver at all - it has zero sound deadening, very little usable around-town torque, and gear ratios that make it cruise at about 5,000 RPM on the highway. If we are being honest, it's a fairly miserable tool for the daily driving job, as any track prepared car would be!

So, to answer your question, the car was not "lost" or "protected," just treated as any other enthusiast weekend car would be by owners who were more collector types and less hardcore driver types. It has averaged about 1,800 miles per year over its life, pretty normal use for a weekend fun car.

Edit: And, yes, I'm aware that most Type Rs had a much different fate. That's a shame, but it's the reason I bought this car in the first place, it's one of the few that was preserved nicely. I just don't like the insinuation that such a car must come with some sort of "story."