Interested In Boating Classes & Other Questions | FerrariChat

Interested In Boating Classes & Other Questions

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by F355 Fan 82, Mar 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Ok so before you laugh at me for knowing nothing about boats, I want to ask for some guidance from pros like yourself. So I've got a couple of exotics, a 575 and an SLR, so speed is something I've always loved, I have lived in south beach the last 7 years and live on the water so I stare at boats every single day and since surprisingly I know nobody that owns one I figured I'd ask questions in here.

1) If you've never driven a boat, where do you get classes/license to operate one. What is the timeframe involved?

2) I'm pretty set on wanting a van dutch, to me they're just gorgeous and I stare at this 55' one in the marina everyday when I jog in the morning. I've looked around and they're in my price range and would like to know a few things.

a) I've read about the thirsty multi gallons per mile online, but what I'd like to is with an island like Bimini being 48 miles away from Miami, if I want to take my friends down there for the day to go gambling,enjoy the sun,etc. Would a 55' foot like that be safe to drive or are trips like that reserved for bigger boats? There's also a 40' van dutch thats significantly less would that be safe to take across a stretch like that?

3) I've read around alot about running costs, they really don't scare me bc I've owned an SLR for a couple years and that car is probably about as expensive a machine as I've ever encountered. I've spent around $50,000 in 3 years servicing it just routine stuff, every damn thing costs so much on it. With that said, realistically most of the forums I've read have smaller boats as examples. In my case a 40 or 55' van dutch boat, what would it cost to store and annually maintain it.

4) I was out of town for the boat show recently but I'd love to set up an appointment with van dutch to talk about the boat and ask questions but I just don't want to look like a complete idiot when I do. So thats why I wanted to come in here to ask a few things first

5) Finally on new boats, what kind of discounts can I expect negotiating and with used boats what kind of discounts can I expect off asking prices?

Thank you

2. Patrick21x

Patrick21x Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    Orange County
    I am replying to this while laying in bed on my 60' Searay :) Ill try to answer a couple of your questions.

This was my second boat with the first being a 40' Searay. That boat was absolutely too small for longer days in the ocean. You mention 45 miles away to gamble. I personally would not go with anything smaller than 60'. The 40' no one could be downstairs because it was too rough a ride. With 60' the wife and kid lay down and watch movies when we are on a longer trip.

I too Loved the Von Dutch. But be warned, the ONLY thing that boat is good for is cruising the harbor with a bunch of hot chicks laying out in bikinis. Ive been on a Van a couple of times. If you tried going 45 miles away, everyone would get wet as ####. The sun BEATS down on you all day. Thats cool cruising the harbor with a bunch of chicks, but 4-8 hour boat trips in open water would suck real quick. You want to be able to take the party from outside straight to the inside when it gets to hot or cold.

Seriously, Von Dutch is cool for a really short time, then your over it. By short, I mean if you get it on Friday, your regretting it by Sunday LOL.

Maybe consider something like a Cruiser type boat. Something like a 60' Sunseeker. Being you like the Van Dutch, maynbe look at a newer 60' AZIMUT. Those are very sleek and modern. Trust me, you will want a boat you can party and have fun all day on, then go inside and relax when the sun goes down.

As for learning. I never had a boat and everyone said I was crazy for buying a 40' to start with. As owner operator, no licence was required here in CA. I did hire a Captain to take me out and teach me for the afternoon. HeSchooled me on the systems of the boat. Showed me how to pump out waste at sea. Within a couple hours I was comfortably docking and maneuvering with dual engines (No Bow thrusters). I then had the captain take me to Catalina Island. About a 4 hour round trip. During this time he taught me basic navigation, reading charts, operating radio, and how to moore the boat. On the way back it was dark so I got to learn using the Radar. After this I was good to go and have been on my own every since. When I got the 60', I hired the same guy for a few hours of coaching as the bigger boat was a bit intimidating. Turns out the bigger one is eave easier to maneuver, Especially with the bow thrust-er. He got me up to speed and sent me on my way. SInce then I have been up and down the coast and out to the Island many time. This boat is one of the best things I have ever bought. We are constantly sharing it with friends and family. Being together with them all on the water really is hard to beat. I absolutely love boating.... In a 60' that is :) I certainly didnt like it near as much in the 40' as we where always limited to the amount of people that could come and the distance we could go. I think a 72 footer would be absolutely perfect. Any bigger you would need a full crew. At least with the 60', I can maneuver it while my Wife or Friend ties us up. Any bigger, we would need a couple deck hands.

Something to mention too is that The newer models have joystick control which makes it so a 10 year old can drive it.

As far as prices go, I would NEVER buy brand new. Boats are not like cars, They depreciate much much worse. ReSell can be a pain if you buy the wrong boat too. The first owner is going to take a HARD hit. You haven't seen depreciation until you drop 2 mil on a new boat and sell it for 1.2m 2 years later LOL. Anyway, Thats just me, I would look for at least 1 year old

Expect about 10% in boat cost for annual maintenance and upkeep. Really depends on what you pay for docking as thats probably the largest expense. I pay $3500 month for my slip here in CA to give you an idea.

Maybe you should just book a trip and come to CA. I can take you out on my Cruiser and give you a quick 101 to get you going. We could then go 2 docks over and take the Van Dutch out for a test drive :) I am friends with one of the main guys. They have a Van Dutch dealership here. I think they just got a 55' in this week. No Joke :) Feel free to PM me your number and I will reach out to you and answer your questions a little more in depth if that helps.

Patrick

This pic is from today, Took a quick trip to Long Beach (About an Hour away) for Lunch :

Image Unavailable, Please Login

sherpa23, LARRYH and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    My 2 cents wroth, although I'm a yachtie...

1) No idea where you learn in the State, but a quick goolge search shows you need a lic in Florida; all yours online for about $20! I doubt this would teach you much other than don't drink and drive and wear a lifejacket. In the absence of a formal course structure, Patrick's approach is a good one as it can be tailored to what you want to do / where you want to go. If you want a serious course, search Royal Yachting Association and look at their syllabus. Passing a course endorsed by them is generally recognised world over for chartering.
    2) Van Dutch, nice boat, but as Patrick says its for popping from Monaco to Portofino with some bikinis onboard; or as a tender to a superyacht. They are planning boats, so unless you are happy at 20 plus Knots for 3 hours, then probably not for what you want to do (and even in flat calm waters that is going to be an endurance test all round!!). A semi-displacement like Patrick's would be much more suited; but you wont get the speed.
    2a) Are they safe for a 48 mile offshore trip? Something to ask the manufacture. Are they coded for this area? Coding is a combination of design/build standards and equipment you carry. You will want to investigate this as it will affect any insurance policy as will probably your qualifications/experience.
    3) Running costs are generally taken as 10% of purchase price, that's before you leave the dock.
    4) No harm in acting the newbie, just don't take the first offer, and like everything do your homework. The more people you speak to the more you will know. And one of the things you will very quickly find out is if you thought there were an abundance of cowboys and idiots in the car market, just wait until you get into boating!!!!
    5) New boats, as Patrick says, but if you are set on one, buy it at a boat show in the winter; good offers because of the time of year and the show boat is always reduced. For used boats, all depends on how motivated the seller is. Motivation generally goes up in the fall, as they wont be using it over the winter, and even more so late winter as next years mooring fees loom :)

Best advise I could give...charter a few different boats before you take the plunge (pardon the pun).

Good luck, and post pics!!!

LARRYH and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  4. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Thanks for the info patrick. I love those sunseeker predators, they're awesome boats, I will look into those more, I dont know what it is about the van dutch, it just looks so sleek I love it but yes the majority of me wanting a boat is for fun weekend trips with friends from miami to bimini which like I said is give or take 40 miles.

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    PAtrick
    I owned a boat just like yours for 9 years truly a great boat.....we had ours up and down the coast and all through the chesapeake bay. Loved the boat sold it about 2 years ago we bought it new and sold it for about 50% of what we paid ...
    I would agree the operating costs BEFORE leaving the dock are about 10% of the cost

6. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Pro tip. Stay away from the Van Dutch.

I'm in Ft Lauderdale. I go to Bimini and the Bahamas all the time. I did 1200NM and 10 or 12 trips across the Gulf Stream last year. I'm crossing next week. Bimini is 45NM from Miami and crossing is weather dependent. I've crossed many times in a 24' boat. June-October you'll be able to cross 80% of the time in a 30' boat. Do you want to stay on the boat? It gets complicated in a hurry. If you like it, you'll want to go places other than Bimini. Many of the new boats are easy to operate so you can come up the learning curve pretty quickly. Lots of expense. Fuel ends up being one of the least expensive things but is the one most are concerned about on the front end.

7. BAK

BAK Karting

Apr 14, 2007
    Novi, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Not in any way a expert and have owned 6 boats, If I could make one recommendation that is, "Buy your last boat first"

8. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    How far north and south did you go on the East coast?