Interesting 3 car comparison | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Interesting 3 car comparison

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by pdxjim488, Feb 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I think you’re getting a LOT more reliability and build quality from the Ferrari than the McLaren.

2. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Explain with specifics...or you just 'thinking' because it's what you feel?

My 458 was in the shop 4 times for various issues during my 13 months with her. My 720 in the shop 0 times so far.

Fit and finish inside are 10x better (IMHO) on my Mac.

Motorwerks and iloveferrari like this.
  3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Based on what I’ve read and watched.

4. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Got it.

Gh21631 and tekaefixe like this.
  5. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    If my personal experience is typical of the brand, McLarens are built exceptionally well and are reliable. Ferraris are too but I don’t think there is a lot of difference

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Gh21631, Motorwerks and IPO1 like this.
  6. theplanner

theplanner Karting

Jul 3, 2018
    In Australia the base model drive away is
    pista 650k
    600lt 520k
    3rs 450k

However the 600lt comes with bearly any thing. Specing like the pista base model with a few carbon bits u creep into low 600k which makes the 600lt really poor value in comparison. A nicely spec pista goes for around 750k similar 600lt will be high 690k.
    3rs can be had with Weissach pack etc for 520k.

Shadowfax likes this.
  7. markcs

markcs Karting

Oct 23, 2016
    Welcome back Shadow
    been in jail again???? lol

09Scuderia and Shadowfax like this.
  8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Wow!

Us a well specced 600 is about 260-270k. Base price is 240k. I don’t know base price for Pista but I believe it’s already 100k more. 3rs base price is 190k range.

9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Thanks for the feed back. I’ve driven quite a few Ferrari’s over current and past several generations. I’ve been in the McLaren a bit not driven. On a vehicle this high tech there quite possibly will be issues with it no matter who makes it. I’m curious if the DragTime guy has had any issues with his 720s for as hard as he drives it. Then again they’re probably better the harder they driven.

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    2.5 years of 488 ownership and no issues.
    Roughly 6 months of 720 ownership - no issues.

Mclarens have had a history of electronic gremlins with their early 12C models but the newer cars seem as good as the other manufacturers. Ofcourse you are going to have the story of how my brothers cousins uncles neighbor once had an issue with his Mclaren breaking down but for the most part- all cars seem to be doing well.

Motorwerks, LVP488 and crinoid like this.
  11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I will say the 488 feels like it was carved out of a single piece of rock.

12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I wouldn't go that far. With the metal chasis, you feel some creaks here and there but mechanically its been rock solid for me for sure.

crinoid likes this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Irrelevant in the sense there is no evidence to date that supports your claim.

The point I was making - aside that the 3 in question are all great cars (which we all know) - is that the argument being repeatedly pushed by the Mac crowd (here on Fchat - yourself included) - is that Ferrari and others are behind the game by not having a carbon tub, yet the power to weight ratios vs track times don't support this claim at all. Then there are the reports on which gives the better/superior driving experience to the driver.

Having experienced 600lt on circuit myself, I find it extraordinary how nobody other than Chris Harris has reported on 600lt's considerable turbo lag and how it affects mid corner and the whole driving experience of that car. View here - watch 2:35 on ..
    Furthermore, the Autocar reviewer here has essentially dismissed Pista's superior engine and power delivery by calling the two equal in driving experience? :rolleyes:

I guess the ultimate irony in this particular review is that Gt3rs, which has the least HP and heavier weight overall is (yet again) reported as being the sharper and more satisfying car to drive.

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #39 Shadowfax, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    740hp, 770hp whatever...neither are the claimed 720, when Pista's 710 and Gt2rs's 690, Gt3rs's 540 are pushing better times in respect to their power to weight ratios. What we are seeing here is a HP war from Mac, not a war based on superior engineering and, delivering a superior driving experience.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Stop with the "Mac Crowd" conspiracy theories. There is no "Mac Crowd" here - and no one but yourself brought up the carbon tub argument first on this thread on post #10. No no else even mentioned it. The discussion is about why are the trying to compare cars in different price points and different horsepowers when other more capable comparisons can be made.

Boomhauer, xskier and Motorwerks like this.
  16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Luck of the draw. My 488 GTB was being PPF at same time a 720 was started. They had to stop for many issues.. Spoiler not moving. Had to be towed back to the dealer to rectify. Came back then wouldn't start , battery ok. Bad fitting panels. Gee even screws were a total mix with different ones used to the left and right. Panel gaps were a joke.

Im 100% sure that there would be Ferrari owners with issues also , you are just describing what YOU went through.

Shadowfax likes this.
  17. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    This is such a silly comparo - the 720s and GT2RS would have been better in comparison.
    And the driving is poor at best. What a waste of track time.

18. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Good feedback from someone who has OWNED both. Thank you. Much better than I saw one during PPF and all of these things happened to someone else car.

I will say I don't think either is any worse than the other--they are cars.

But so far after owning BOTH 720 is much better than my 458 in reliability and finish. The paint job on Mac is second to none of any brand I've owned. Again, MY thoughts from cars I"VE OWNED. Ferrari paint was horrendous and I will say GT3RS was pretty bad as well.

SoCal to az likes this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agree.

Motorwerks and IPO1 like this.
  20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Couldn't agree more....although I think we've already seen the other two in action....although they were in more skilled hands thankfully. That all said, it's becoming clearer by the review the 600lt is by far the better drive than big brother...as has been everything else.

TAILWAG likes this.
  21. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Not so sure. For years Ferrari has overstated their performance numbers and played games with their “test cars”. Yes Mclaren is typically understating it’s numbers like Porsche but I’d rather have them do that then the former. Further, Mclaren does have a lot of new tech that imo is noticeable when driving on road and track. My 720 has very little turbo lag unlike the 12c and 570/600 series.

Gh21631, TAILWAG, Coincid and 2 others like this.
  22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    And unquestionably a far superior engine......although it's probably not fair comparing a Ferrari or Porsche engine to a Mac engine.

Napoli and crinoid like this.
  23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #48 Shadowfax, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Sorry howydo but I don't think opinions have much to do with this one other than to perhaps offer which car drives better as a sum of its parts.
    Also can't ever recall a Ferrari or Porsche engine being under-quoted to the degree we are talking here. And, this so called new "mac" tech seems to be removing the driving experience based upon what Harris said (watch from .42 on on the harris vid)......as in not as easy to read as the more analog set up in 600lt, not that this "new mac tech" is keeping pace with Ferrari and Porsche's tech/engineering going by the current power to weight figures and circuit times. Hard to argue that one I'm afraid. Hp wars is hp wars...

09Scuderia likes this.
  24. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I think the perceived Ferrari engine advantage will disappear once/if Ferrari decommission the NA V12. McLaren has no charismatic engines in their stable (except for the BMW engine in the F1). Ferrari has the iconic V12 and this is what gives Ferrari the high ground when it comes to engines...I don’t consider the NA V8 iconic in any way; very good engine, but the Lamborghini V10 sounds better and feels more exotic. Although I bought the Pista, I do not believe that the engine is far superior to the McLaren. I think the engine management is better, turbo lag is smaller, the -somewhat artificial- torque curve makes the car drive better, but “far superior” is a little generous.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

howydo, xskier and Motorwerks like this.
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    My post was in the context of Turbocharged engines - not NA.

Ferrari and Porsche Turbo engines clearly hold superiority over Mac's engines in every way. The engine is a big part of these types of cars - the heart and soul and the power delivery can make a world of difference to the average driver. To say far superior is being conservative actually.