Interesting message from the Fullerton NJ Fiat Dealer | FerrariChat

Interesting message from the Fullerton NJ Fiat Dealer

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Carnut, Jun 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    When I was recently looking for another Abarth, I contacted a few Fiat dealers who had them in stock including this dealer. I got a voicemail follow up yesterday, and the message was that Fiat is considering stopping all imports into the U.S. and that everyone wants to get an Abarth before they are gone. My first thought was they be getting desperate to sell cars to come up with that story, unless there is more to it. I must say I would not blame Fiat for leaving but I am not aware that this is even a consideration. Anyone else heard anything like this.

2. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    That sounds like a BS sales call.

3. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    That's my thought too, but if so it could be a two-edged sword- that tactic could scare off some prospective buyers who might fear buying a car that would soon have no dealer support.

4. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    True also. Which makes the call even more BS.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    "considering"?????

Yah I believe that one.

The trends are DOWN but it's manly from a lack of new and upgraded product. The 500 arrived in 2011. The cross over SUV Fiat 500L is not selling anything like other SUV's in the market.

Here's the 500 numbers over the years. I do see more dealers interested in selling higher priced Alfa products over Fiat. Kinda hard to make money on a $99 a month 3 year lease.

From May 2012 to May 2018 you would say sales are pretty much a "disaster".

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    With those numbers they don't need to think about stopping. The market will stop for them.

Mrpbody44 likes this.
  7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I know that they were feeding me a sales BS line (obviously they don't know me, no one needs to sell me anything). Those numbers, I did not think things were that bad, though when I went looking for the Abarth, not any of the local dealers had one. In fact most had only a few 500's in stock and the rest were the 124's. What surprised me was that almost everyone was an automatic including the Abarth 124's.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    500 sales have been dropping hard since 2016. FCA appears not to care.

The 500 got off to a rocky start. Soon they fired the person in charge of marketing and went to the cooler "It's hip to be Italian" advertising and sales took off. Adding the Abarth also helped. But a lack of product and innovation over the years has hurt 500 sales. It's just "price, price, price" now.

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    More proof the auto is dead. People just don't want them anymore, even for Abarth's. I searched far and wide for a manual Mini S. Also like trying to find hens teeth. I found a few, but most were stripped down with few options. Almost no choice at all. When I found one the dealer was soooooooooooooooooo happy to sell it to me. He had it on his lot and was going to pass it off to some other dealer.

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Fiat is so poorly managed. And has always been. They always rest on their laurels. Come up with one or two good products, sells well for a few years (panda and 500) and then **** it up by not doing anything new or good.

The 500x could have been interesting but it's too expensive for a small fiat SUV. A decent equipped one is $30k. You can get a nice Murano or Tiguan for that price.

Not sure how they will replace the 500, but they need something new asap or they will go back to just selling in Italy.

11. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Wonder if they've stopped imports until the tariff fight is sorted?

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    All 500's come from Mexico so its part of NAFTA, not the EU "proposed" tariffs. The 124's come from Japan. I haven't heard anything about tariffs on cars from Japan. If anything they would be shipping like crazy now before any tariffs hit.

No, I think it's just weak sales and I think FCA sees more of a future in higher priced Alfa products at their existing "studios".

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The Fiat brand is hurting in the US market. Years of neglect, a lack of promotion, and a lack of exciting product.

The Jeep Renegade sells great and it's a Fiat 500L with a different body. The sales difference is like 10-1. Granted its a lot better looking than the 500L but I think the Jeep is actually more expensive.

Like I said, I see Fiat dealers morphing more into Alfa dealers. There's more money there. Some Alfa dealers are also selling Maserati in the USA.

14. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Renegade is the 500X, IMO 500X looks better than the Renegade but yes Renegade outsells 500X by a mile.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You are correct. But the Renegade is a huge Jeep success.

16. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Thanks for that - I must look into where our stocks come from. The 500 was released here in 2007 and has been very popular, but its the only model available apart from the Abarth spider (which is also proving popular here). Marketing of Fiat here is almost non-existant...
    500x should have had some other name - doesn't fit the 500 theme.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

There hasn't been any marketing of Fiat in the USA in at least 2 years -- maybe more. I don't think there has been one change to the Fiat 500 since they brought in the Abarth.

18. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Amazing... wonder what they know which we don't that they think these 2 markets aren't worth worrying about?

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  20. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I wonder how many people would even notice if they left at this point. The Abarth is a fun little car and is the only thing that Fiat has that ever interested me.

davem likes this.
  21. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    The other problem was there was a huge pent up demand for the 500 and mostly its Abarth version. Like 30 years! So all of us faithful mostly bought the 1 st yr model in 12.
    Was waiting for more Abarth models like the Punto