Interesting response to my Ferrari today... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Interesting response to my Ferrari today...

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by f355spider, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Agree but I feel safer as a group :)

2. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    Thus far in my first year of ownership, I've encountered six basic reactions people express toward the car and/or me in the car.

1. Disinterest
    2. Jealousy
    3. Let's Race!
    4. What is it?
    5. Is it real?
    6. Appreciation

The first: Disinterest. It isn't really an emotion at all since these folks don't pay any attention to any automobiles. The second is the all too familiar Jealousy/I hate your guts look...usually from men (and a few of those Subaru Forester driving women...from the other side of the fence).Third, Lets Race! and they can be driving ANYTHING. Fourth, What is it? Usually from women and almost always very in a very friendly curious tone. Their most common comment is "its beautiful!" Then their jaws drop when I tell them the car's pushin' 30 years old. Fifth, Is it real? and Sixth, the Appreciative Stare/Thumbs up either parked or in motion. Most often when parked, I find people respectfully leaning over just admiring the design and looking in the cockpit....

3. 4re4lem

4re4lem Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I had a similar experince last week, as I was going to my 308 I noticed two fiftiest gentlemen attempting to authenticate my car, they were after kneeling on the groung to inspect the undercarrige resigned to acept the fack that this was not a tricked out Fiero. I guess in a world where immitation have become common place the real thing comes as quite a shock....

4. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    What is it about the Subaru Forester women - they are all the same - very fearful eco-terrorists types or alternatively church ladys with absolutely no awareness of anything. Its amazing how one car company can so selectively design a product with such a precisely similar customer base.

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Dave T., You make me laugh. My mother drives one but she is simply a FEARLESS TERRORIST!.
    DJ

6. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Found these expression on:

1. Disinterest - either 360 or 550
    2. Jealousy - more with the 360
    3. Let's Race! - more with the 360
    4. What is it? - more with the 550, they thought it is a MUSTANG
    5. Is it real? - never experience
    6. Appreciation - surprisingly with my 550!!

Shelbee, who cares?? I own to enjoy it, don't usually bother, just simply ignore and gas on!!

7. ExoticRobert

ExoticRobert Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Mukilteo, Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hey I have a idea, we could all sell our F-cars, and all buy the classic Dodge K-car as a club, than we all could go to Greenlake and not get spit on!!! :)
    Just a thought! Can you tell its been a long day??

Never mind, I think I will keep my car!! :)

8. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Just got a response # 3 "Let's race" by a young driver who drove a bimmer, 3 series. he was behind me, tailgating. Took off after green light, hit 100 in 5s. thanks to F1 on spider :) :), went straight to underground parking at BC. Where was he again??

9. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Had a pickup full of r** necks pull up beside me the other day. Usual revving the engine, wanting to race, etc. as they're driving off one of them riding in the back hollers "Magnum PI was my favorite show man!!". Had me laughing!!

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    During most of my drives last year I usually got smiles and thumbs-up from just about everybody. Also a couple of offers to race and I just smiled and shook my head no, too embarrassing to get beat by Hondas.

DJ

11. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H

LOL! K-car's not going work either. Don't you know they hate America over in that area? :) Old VW Beetles might be better, perhaps?

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Rob - I thought that people were getting sick from jogging around Greenlake (something about toxic goose crap bacteria eminating from the lake). Is it cleaner now?

Willis - The ultimate 'cover' would be an old Saab, or preferably an old Volvo.

Dave/Aero - About Subaru, I get this owner's mag they send out; they published stats that something crazy like 30% of all Subaru owners are educators/teachers or education system employees... how's that for a specific niche?!

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ryalex,
    Greenlake is no better. Hence the name "GREEN-lake" from all the alge bloom each year. They are presently (this week) removing noxious weeds and adding chemicals or something...saw it on the news. The big problem is the lake is not fed with enough fresh water. The city diverts/pumps as much as it can spare, but it is not enough...

If they did nothing, it would be a much smaller, smelly green swamp. :)

People love that little lake, so the city wastes millions trying to keep it presentable.

14. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Hey! My daily driver is a Subaru (Outback).... guess I'm safe to park it at Green Lake. ;)

PS: It's my second Subaru, they are super reliable cars. I'll probably buy a third when this one wears out (if ever).

15. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    i pity the bastard who screws with my car...

i have noticed the ferrari evokes alot of hostile remarks and behavior...nothing like my porsche 356's...

every wednesday night about 11:00pm i go to the baltic room to check out friend's who play a regular gig there...i park my car in an empty parking lot across the street...when i sit at the bar i have a birdseye view...

i always try to be in sight of the car if it is left alone...unfortuneately can't trust anyone anywhere..

worst event was when i caught a guy kicking in my 1984 carrera cabriolet drivers door in portland a few years ago...his head looked a bit more dented than the door did when i got done with him and the police smacked him around pretty good when they got there...

16. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    My wife's Civic got its fender kicked in by a bicycle nazi in Portland, over what? Well he was driving in traffic as traffic...but acting like he had pedestrian right-of-way. That tin can's gone from our stable now, but her new/old car...'80 MBZ SD tank doesn't get out much. Its in pristine condition, so she's afraid to park it in Seattle...it's already been keyed:(

So, unless we are going to a place/venue that we're extremely familiar with, good parking, etc., the stable stays home, and we go out for a night in the old pickup. Its a shame to see my wife dressed to the 'nines' and have her in the old truck. But her attitude is stellar, in that we know we won't have to be calling the insurance company after a night out on the town.

I wish nice establishments would get a clue...they might get even more upscale business if a truly secure, white glove parking situation was available.

17. 4re4lem

4re4lem Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle is really not any worse that most other cities. Ferrari's have always brought out the best and worst in some folks. Jelousy is a beast and it motivates people to act like animals. Charactaristics like this are not limited to geographic locations but to individuals. I have no fear to drive mine anywhere...... when I finaly get around to driving it.....

18. NickM3

NickM3 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Y.
    If you wanna keep your car safe, move to california.

I worry everytime i park my car and its worth 1/10th what some of your cars are. :)

19. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    The reason you guys have these problems is simple. Ferrari owner's have a reputation of being, cocky ignorant, rich trust fund pricks. Just like the little honda tool boxes have a reputation, ferrari owner's have a similar one. People in washington are fools, either that or you all live in the shady regions. Happen to live in West Seattle, I will tell you all what type of problems i have when i build and finish a Porsche 550 spyder.

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Though there may be individual Ferrari owners that meet this stereotype, I have been fortunate to have the pleasure of NOT meeting such people in the the local Ferrari Club. In fact, IF there are such Ferrari owners, they must be exclusively not members of the FCA...and that would be fine with me. :)

Dave
    Previous Honda owner....

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Yeah, That's me, "a fool living in a shady region". WTF?

Signed,
    "In the Sticks"

22. 4re4lem

4re4lem Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    It is written "The fool has said in his heart there is no God" Ps 12:1. Fools don't drive Ferrari's. Not for long anyway.... My friend your perception of Ferrari owners is askewd and in need of correction. The members of our NWFCA are some of the nicest folks around. An arongant condesending demeanor is not indicative or relative to material ownership, but rather a flaw in one's personality, enhacned by ignorance and or stupidity. It is hard to have a conversation with someone so jostled by perception, I hope that you don't judge the rest of the world by what you see, if you do you are missing the real meaning of life.........

23. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    LLLLEEEEMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!

24. 4re4lem

4re4lem Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Dana!

25. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    I wonder if Fastback's experience is mostly with Porsche owners and he is extrapolating that experience on to Ferrari owners? I haven't met anyone in the local Ferrari club who isn't a thoughtful descent person. My experience is that "Car People" in general are nice people.