Interesting selection of 550s for auction | FerrariChat

Interesting selection of 550s for auction

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bluebottle, Apr 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Rock star and car collector.

4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That looks like a really nice Barchetta. I'd love one, but just don't get the 3X price over a normal 550. For a 200k estimate, I'd be tempted..

5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
  6. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    the barchetta I grasp bc its a totally different car, the one I dont grasp is the price people are paying for 3 pedal 575's. The going rate is what $300k over an F1? Im sure driving a stick is a blast and all but meh give me a 575 F1 + $300k of other toys

7. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    I make no notions of being in a position to make such a statement right now, but given the choice above I’m in full agreement fan82. Of course I would love a stick- I’m 53 yo, I learned to drive on a stick!!- but i’ll take a 575 F1 AND 300 grand any day vs a 3 pedal.

And no offense fan82 but my understanding is that the f1 on the 575 is much improved from that of the 355, which was essentially “generation 1.” From the knowledge I’ve gleaned from reading through many threads on the subject here on fchat, it is my understanding that the 575 f1 can in fact be quite enjoyable IF properly used (and very fast!!). If taz says that is his experience that alone is good enough for me. But I’m curious fan82, did you have a 355 F1? What is/your experience? I’ve had none!! Wish I did though.

8. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I have an F1 575 and its amazing, im sure the 3 pedal is something special but so is my SLR and thats around $300k so give me the F1 575 and my SLR over a stick 575. I know the kind of people who spend $400k on a car don't care about money and its about what the car means to them but I have those 2 cars and they're worth the price of 1 stick 575 and I just don't think the F1 is that bad, the car is still beautiful to look at and drive.

Temple likes this.
  9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    It's the same car, no roof, couple of carbon bits. Same engine, transmission. 575 SA has a different engine and interior bits, and fancy roof, so massive premium more justified.

The going rate for a stick 575 is definitely not that much over here, but that's a different thread.

10. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Here's my experience. I bought a 355 Berlinetta Fi brand new in 1999. Roso Corso/Tan. I loved that car and put almost 30K miles on it in 12 years. In 2011 I saw Ferrari of SF had a 575 Fi in Grigio Ingrid, one of my favorite colors. It only had a couple thousand miles and was like new.

I called them about a test drive, went there and they gave me the keys and said wring it out. I took it on the highway about 20 miles then turned onto one of the Marin headlands winding roads. I went about 2 miles down that road, turned around and drove back to the dealer, handed the keys back and said "No Thanks, just don't like it"

I had at that time 11 years of 355 Fi experience so I knew how to drive a F1 but the overall 575 F1 experience just left me cold, I really don't know why, maybe because it didn't have FHP. A year later I bought my Grigio Ingrid 550, sold the 355 and never looked back.

Just goes to show we're all different and have different expectations in a "Sports" car

Temple likes this.
  11. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Hi Dave,

I “know” you from the boards here and I know you know your stuff so a question: you went from 355 f1, liked it enough that kept the 355 for 11 yrs. Tried an 575 f1 and really didn’t like it. Found a 550 (only available in 3 pedal) in a kinda rare color that you like and said good-bye to the 355. And no regrets since. That right?

12. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Oops: the 575 was the Grigio Ingrid!! What you end up with (550 color)? So you found the f1 experience funner (more engaging?) in the 355 than the 575?

Temple

13. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, I did keep both the 355 and the 550 together for a year before my long suffering wife decided she really wanted her side of the garage back so I, regrettably, sold the 355 to a friend. I actually kept it twelve years in all.

We can go on a long weekend golf trip in the 550 which was impossible in the 355, I only wish I had a three car garage, I'd still have the 355 F1.....sigh.........

Thoughts about the 355 Berlinetta F1.......I've always had a sports car starting in 1959 with an Austin Healey 100-6MM, through several english cars, Lotus, MG, Triumph, to a secession of Porsches then finally to the 355.
    In my opinion the 355 was the absolute best sports car of all, I consider the 550 to be in a different category, it's a GT car.

Dave rocks likes this.
  14. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Both the 575 and the 550 were Grigio Ingrid, It was the only color I would consider which really narrowed it down. I got lucky on the 550, had to go to South Carolina to get it.

15. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Yes, I know. I’m well versed enough (read f-chat/the boards enough) to know that ingrid rare in both the 550 and 575. I’m not sure I’ve seen one even one mentioned here. I’m sure I wrong, my point is that Ingrid is certainly quite a rare color. Doesn’t surprise one bit you had to go to SC to find her/get her.

16. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Funny thing, shortly after I got it I took it to a track day at Laguna, the only other Maranello there was....... and the next track day at Thunderhill, same thing, different Maranello but the same color.......Grigio Ingrid...........go figure :)

My car getting detailed
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/36553-1999-ferrari-f-550-detail-correction.html

17. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Who is Ingrid? She must have been someone special for Ferrari to have named a colour after her.

18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    NE550 and Bluebottle like this.
  19. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  20. centerfireman

centerfireman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2015
    Roseville, CA
    Dave: An off topic question: Where do you find the open “coin tray” that sits on the tunnel between the seats? Or did you have it custom made? I know that a similar tray can be found on RHD 550s but no one seems to stock them and I have not been able to find a used one. Thanks.

21. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I made that myself and had a professional upholsterer cover it. the leather "almost" matches, it was the closest we could find to sabbia. The rear section holds a box of Kleenex, I have allergies :(

Here's the thread,

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/550-console-tray.242596/

22. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Hey Dave and Fan82,

So I’m curious- it was always my “understanding” that the f1 in the 355 was essentially generation 1. Certainly it was the first f1 system put into a production road car (355). As a generation 1 it suffered from many “bugs”. When the 575 came out (the) f1 was now the norm(!!), and the production/manufacture/technology/
    practical experience gained meant that the system was much improved, especially reliability. And yet it would appear that both you guys were disappointed when driving the 575f1. I understand 2 very different cars (mid-engine V-8 sports car vs a front V-12 grand tourer (in the classic sense!!). Would love to hear you guys’/your thoughts.

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #23 tazandjan, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    There have been several generations of F1, including at least four for the 575M (including HGTC), including both software and hardware. The 575M software is similar to the last F1 TCU that was introduced for the 360 for MY02.

Takes a while to get used to an F1 V12, especially compared to the 1st generation system in the F355, which also had completely different torque characteristics and had very little rev matching capability because there was no digital throttle. Compared to a 575, an F355 does not have enough torque to pull the fuzz off a dandelion.

Sounds like the one Dave drove was an early one and also likely had the first shock ECU, 183960, which was set up a bit too loosely for some owners' tastes.

I have been driving an F1 575M for 10 years and have a much better early (pre-steering position sensor) shock ECU and FHP. Mine drives beautifully and her operation is second nature to me since she is my daily driver. 575Ms went through continuous updates throughout production, which is why it is difficult to make overarching statements on driving one. If you cannot drive an F1 575M more smoothly than anyone can a 3 pedal 550 or 575, you need a lot more practice.

Incidentally, mine has never been in Auto since I owned her. Not even sure if the button works and do not care.

Attached Files:

24. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    Thanks, Taz.........about to take mine for its first drive ever in my ownership. I have manuals and autos, but the F1 experience is new to me. That's why I bought it.
    Reading the manual ? when shifting down, does the engine automatically meet the required engine revs....or is it a bit like the old fashioned over-drive 'boxes, where skill needed to be applied to prevent snapping passengers necks back and forth ??
    Manual says keep your foot planted anyway, upshift or down ? Does it work in practice.?
    Hoping it's fun !

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If you are in Normal, there is no rev matching. In Sport, there is rev matching on upshifts and downshifts. In the lower gears, gearshifts are smoother during normal driving if you feather the throttle slightly during upshifts in Normal or Sport. If pushing hard, no lift required.