Interesting Statin Issue | FerrariChat

Interesting Statin Issue

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Scotty, Feb 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    So, I have been on statins (mostly Lipitor) for a decade or so. Congenital lipid issues, bad family history, etc. Had a bit of muscle soreness (known side effect) treated with CoQ10 (probably one of the only supplement uses recognized by the FDA). Started pushing myself this past spring. Had increasing muscle pain--assumed for a long while that it was exercise induced.
    Long story short--stopped the statin, pain went away. While I am still trying to sort through that, it is recognized that folks who have acute muscle pain (which is what I had) from statin also have issues with synthesizing new muscle and repairing muscle damage (I'm paraphrasing to keep it simple). Anyway, I have been mostly parked (stalled) in my lifting program.
    Fast forward to now--I am making consistent gains in weight moved, and adding body weight that is clearly muscle.
    Wild that it would seem clear that the statin was slowing/inhibiting gains in my lifting program. Also nice to be able to push myself aerobically and not hurt like hell the same evening.

2. Iced Coffee

Iced Coffee Karting

Dec 27, 2012
    Willow Park, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike N.
    This is yet another great reason for me to be on my exercise program: Statins will wreak havoc on your body...and I don't care what Astra-Zenica or Eli Lilly or whoever makes these damn things says to the contrary. They cause muscle aches, muscle cramps, flushing, ED and a host of other problems. Yes, they keep your cholesterol in check, and some folks who are predisposed to high cholesterol need that kind of remedy. But I firmly believe that a majority can solve their problems by losing weight and eating properly.

Half my body aches when I get into or out of a chair. I am so done with these damn things. My doctor says when I drop under 240, he'll take me off of them. Can't happen soon enough.

3. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I certainly can not advise you what to do, but the Statins have been pushed to their limits. I certainly do not trust today's Pharma's research which in conglomeration with Insurance companies have set the treatment guidelines for healthy CV systems. Statins do NOT reverse plaquing, they are basically an anti-inflamatory to BV inner lining to reduce new plaque fracturing, thus embolization to old established large plaque thus MI or Stroke. It is not my intend here to give you a lesson on clot formation, Cholesteral Managemet etc. and I can not discuss alternatives that I have tried with my patients in similar serials. Medicine in this US of A has certainly deteriorated in many aspects in this last 15yrs and I will say it is time for me to exit my beloved profession! Unfortunately you and others have not seen the beginning of what is in store!

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i agree with the the above. i not sure curing is the goal of the pharma industry as much as maintaining a patient on a lifetime drug regimine. the quality of the health care in this country will certainly go down with qualified people exiting the profession.
    back to statins.....
    what alternatives do you recommend?
    thoughts on red yeast rice? cholestoff? garlic? what alternatives are actually working when diet and exercise alone is not lowering cholesterol?
    ed

5. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The issue is Coenzyme Q10, CoQ10. Statin makers have known for years, probably approaching the full decade you've been on them, that statin's interfere with the production of this key antioxidant. My nutritionist wife literally saved my father's life over this. He'd been on Lipitor for many years as well. The syndrome began with muscle atrophe, soreness, progressed to spasms and severe cramping all over his body. He went to several experts who eventually diagnosed him with the 112th variant of ALS. While this was happening, my wife dug into the literature on his entire regimen of drugs and vitamins and found the issue with CoQ10. The fix is simply reformulating the statins to add CoQ10 but that requires going back through the entire FDA approval process again. My wife convinced my father this was an issue. He presented it to his ALS doctors who at the time laughed it off. Since he'd been handed an excruciating death sentence by them, he decided to heed my wife's findings anyway. He quit Lipitor and began a large dose of CoQ10 under doctor's supervision. He was pretty far gone, couldn't dress himself, couldn't sleep anymore. The literature at the time said it could take 90 days for the effects to reverse. He took five months before showing signs of improvement.

It's been about six years now. He's been fully recovered for half a decade.

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    The issue isn't just CoQ10, though it is a huge issue. Probably everyone on a statin should be on CoQ10. But, being on CoQ10 will not resolve all muscle issues that occur with statins (or, at least, the published literature that I've read suggests this).

7. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #7 Piper, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
    Fair enough. I haven't kept up since my father's episode. Anything since then I'd be unaware.

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    my coq10 has ginko in it. i thought ginko had some brain bleeding issues assoc with it?
    any insight very much appreciated.
    ed

9. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    She didn't spend any time researching, but the wife says she's never heard such a thing. one big problem with these supplements is that they aren't regulated and aren't very well tested. Very important to not overdo them. Herbs are drugs. You take white willow bark, you are taking aspirin, for instance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2