Interesting Tire Documentation | FerrariChat

Interesting Tire Documentation

Discussion in '206/246' started by Crawler, Feb 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I found a big envelope of documents pertaining to our car recently. One of these is a photocopy the original bill of sale from H.R. Owen in London, dated March 23, 1974. Someone (presumably the salesman) has hand written on the form "Present Goodyear tyres to be changed for Michelin XWX!". I can only take this to mean that the car was delivered to the dealer with the Goodyears, and that my father had stipulated the changeover to Michelins as a condition of the sale. More evidence that cars were delivered from the factory with a variety of tire types.

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Responding so Dan doesn't think we are ignoring him and taking him for granted. :)

3. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Thanks. You're all heart. ;) It's just that I've heard enough of that "wrong tire" malarkey from some folks when they see a car shod with different tires from their beloved (and absurdly expensive) XWXs.

Having said that, I'd love to have those tires back on my car, but not at 400 bucks a pop.

4. djh4570

djh4570 Karting

Sep 14, 2006
    NewZealand
    Full Name:
    Danny John Hayes
    Just out of interest according to my copy of the workshop manual Dated Nov 75 if you look at the page detailing wheels and tyres Tavola 35 (its in Italian with no page numbers ) it clearly shows the Goodyear Grand Prix 800 as the alternate tyre. Oh and if you think XWXs are bad there they are $850 a piece here if and when they are available.

5. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    US-spec Dinos were delivered with either the Goodyear G800 Grand Prixs or Michelin XVRs (the XWXs are a later version that looks just like the XVRs)- it was just the luck of the draw as to which tires came on any particular car

6. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I think, but I am not 100% certain, that Dinos may have also been delivered with Michelin XWDs or XDXs - or something like that. I'll try to find the reference to them . . .

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    for all the "original types" of tires mentioned, where is the best place and what is the price of such tires?