Interesting Watch Shops in New York City | FerrariChat

Interesting Watch Shops in New York City

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Brian A, Nov 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    What are interesting watch shops to visit / browse in New York City?

I don't know New York City very well, and will be there through the Thanksgiving Holiday with spare time on my hands.

I'll basically be a tire kicker just passing time, so don't want to bother any proprietor who has better things to do with their time. Probably big stores with big glass cases are best.

I am mostly interested in antique and used watches. I just find them interesting. I am also curious about the various Ferrari watches through the years. I own a 1997 Girard Perregaux 8020 (pour Ferrari). I'm not that much interested in down market “Ferrari Lifestyle” watches, but maybe they could be cool too.

I have heard of the Hublot Boutique. I see lots of watches for sale by “Element in Time NYC”. I know of Tourneau and Tiffany. Mostly though, I am stuck.

Any suggestions for must-see shops?

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Patek Phillipe store, Govberg and then Canal Street. In that order.

:)

Matt

3. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    WEMPE! Only new watches, but the best.

Joe

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    +1

I bought a Daytona from a Michael Ashton and he had a cool store back then. Met Donna Summer in there too. :)

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Excellent. Thank you.

I look forward to my visit to the big city. I enjoy even the adventure of just walking around navigating to destinations.

6. hvdaytona

hvdaytona Karting

Nov 8, 2015
    +2, ask for xina. Great service and really knowledgable.

7. 355mm

355mm Rookie

Feb 14, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If things haven't changed in the past 15 years, I would start on Madison Ave and 54th, start walking up Madison into the mid 60's. I remember stores on both sides of the street. I believe Wempe is on 5th Ave and 54-55th. I blame my watch passion on walking up Madison to work everyday and looking at store windows filled with watches. I light google search of your favorite watch houses will help to make sure where to go. Have a great time! This area is amazing during the holidays. PM me with any other questions.

8. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    Things have only gotten better for Watch shopping on Madison. Every brand is well represented.
    Wempe's new store is spectacular!

Joe

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Thanks to the great advice here, spent a fun few hours today using watch shopping as a way to explore a little bit of Manhattan. I hope to do more after Thanksgiving too.

So far, visited these places:

Wempe - Yes, awesome. Name it; it is probably there. Loved, loved, loved the reproduction of John Harrison's H1 chronometer. I've seen all of his real prototypes in Greenwich.

Aaron Faber - Not on anyone's list, but I love vintage watches and Mr. Faber showed me a bunch of cool ones. He had 2 (two!!!!) pre-moon Speedmasters, which were totally awesomely cool. Man, I want one. Tried one on. He made me feel really welcome.

Element of Time - They list like crazy on Chrono24 and eBay, so became intrigued to check them out. They are down this rough-and-tumble raise-your-elbows street (47th btwn 5th and 6th). Found the door, but discovered a bunch of people on phones (internet sales only). The street itself looks like a good place to get a good deal on a $100 Patek Phillipe.

Bremont - Yes; quite cool. The salesperson seemed quite bored and seemed to enjoy my company. Some great stories about the watches and some great watches. A very cool authentic circa 1960 aircraft ejection seat on display.

Richard Mille Boutique - Umm, still seems to be in the "planning stages" either that or it has open and closed already.

Walked past IWC, Omega, Blancpain and others; hope to check them out after T'giving.

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    No, it hasn't opened yet.

11. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Take a stroll down West 47th Street, between 5th and 6th Avenue. It’s NYC’s “Diamond District” with one jewelry store after another. Many watches, especially Rolexes, on display.

12. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
  13. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I am back from a wonderful Thanksgiving trip to NYC.

I am not a regular visitor and was struck by just how cool that city is; lots of interesting things to do, the place feels safe and clean, New Yorkers are so friendly and helpful, etc.

Through the week I was there, I continued stopping into watch shops almost every day; it was my fun thing to do whenever I had a moment (and many of my other activities centered around the watch shop area, which helped a lot).

I talked mostly with watch salespeople, most of which didn’t seem that interested in talking watches other than running through their sales scripts regarding their merchandise. That’s fair enough; that’s what the stores are all about.

There were a few wonderful encounters though which are memorable; Aaron Faber with his encyclopedic knowledge of old watches, the young woman in the Omega boutique who took an intense interest in my GP8020, ditto with the young man in the Madison Ave Hublot boutique.

The number of watch shops and the availability of everything was just stunning. I certainly did not see it all. As an exclamation point on that, NYC dealt me a surprise when I thought I’d just jump into Tiffany’s as a last stop just if they had anything interesting … turns out they had a whole floor dedicated to Patek Philippe. Wow.

I found myself fantasy shopping; making a list of watches I’d buy “if only if….”

14. stevegtsi

stevegtsi Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    Check out analogshift. Great selection. Easy to work with

QUOTE="Brian A, post: 145696732, member: 129205"]I am back from a wonderful Thanksgiving trip to NYC.

I am not a regular visitor and was struck by just how cool that city is; lots of interesting things to do, the place feels safe and clean, New Yorkers are so friendly and helpful, etc.

Through the week I was there, I continued stopping into watch shops almost every day; it was my fun thing to do whenever I had a moment (and many of my other activities centered around the watch shop area, which helped a lot).

I talked mostly with watch salespeople, most of which didn’t seem that interested in talking watches other than running through their sales scripts regarding their merchandise. That’s fair enough; that’s what the stores are all about.

There were a few wonderful encounters though which are memorable; Aaron Faber with his encyclopedic knowledge of old watches, the young woman in the Omega boutique who took an intense interest in my GP8020, ditto with the young man in the Madison Ave Hublot boutique.

The number of watch shops and the availability of everything was just stunning. I certainly did not see it all. As an exclamation point on that, NYC dealt me a surprise when I thought I’d just jump into Tiffany’s as a last stop just if they had anything interesting … turns out they had a whole floor dedicated to Patek Philippe. Wow.

I found myself fantasy shopping; making a list of watches I’d buy “if only if….”[/QUOTE]