Interior detailing | FerrariChat

Interior detailing

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Cmack tex, Feb 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cmack tex

Cmack tex Rookie

Feb 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Craig Mackintosh
    First time Ferrari owner needs some advise. Can I use a quality interior detail product on the dash and door panels. I bought the car brand new and I don’t want to apply a product that will darken the dash and trim pieces if that is taboo in the Ferrari world. Thanks

2. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Sure. I have Crema upholstery and use Gliptone with great effect. Can't imagine any quality leather cleaner and conditioner that would darken.

3. Cmack tex

Cmack tex Rookie

Feb 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Craig Mackintosh
    Thanks so much for the response. I have a Black/Nero interior and tried a bit of maguiar’s ultimate protectant on the underside of the steering column as a test and it made the black a bit deeper with some sheen. Just not sure if I should turn my new cars interior from a dull black to a more appealing look.

Thanks again.

4. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Well, I wouldn't want all that black interior to get shiny. Doesn't look good at all IMO, and not the way it was delivered. Also, a shiny dash is a misery when the sun is low. One of the positive traits of Gliptone is that it preserves the original matte finish of the leather. Leatherique is also a great product that will do the same thing. A lot of posts herein on the subject.

5. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Shad is correct, put nothing on the dash that makes it shiny.

For new leather in a new Ferrari, you shouldn’t need anything as robust as Leatherique. Avoid any product that says suitable for leather AND vinyl.

Any good quality product that is a mild leather conditioner should do nicely. You will always get a slight change in color/sheen when treating real leather, but as long as you do the entire interior you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Cmack tex

Cmack tex Rookie

Feb 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Craig Mackintosh
    Thanks so much, I really appreciate your input. A mild conditioner it is.

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Agree with others. Gliptone cleaner and conditioner is great. Leatherique oil is only needed if leather is stiff, Leatherique Prestine Cleaner is a pretty useful cleaner though.

I don't think any "protectant" product should ever be used on leather. Leather "breathes" -- that's why it feels so much better than vinyl even when vinyl is good enough to look like leather. Protectant products will tend to block that breathing, which is not an issue for vinyl but is for leather.

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    What about lexol

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

9. sandreb

sandreb Karting

Feb 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sander B.
    I recommend 303 product. It will just leave a clean look finish and is not greasy. It offers UV protection also.

10. MAPS

MAPS Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    Marco Silva
    +1 on the Gliptone cleaner (I don't own a Ferrari, but use it on the light coloured leather of my Jaguar). Was advised against the used of conditioners but instead use a Sealant (haven't tried yet).

I did used a leather cleaner that was great at cleaning an leaving the original matt finish, IIRC it was the soft cleaner "Leather Master, by Dr. Tork".

I also clean the leather using a damp cloth with warm water (it is the recommended "process" by the manufacturer). It works!