Intermeccanica Italia Advice | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Intermeccanica Italia Advice

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by beng, Aug 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I just saw my first one ever at the 2008 Radnor concours. How much does the convert and coupe go for these days? Please post more pics!
    Erik

2. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    #27 beng, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I got a call from the transport today - the car should be here within a week or so. In the meantime, I came across another Italia in my own backyard. Apparently, this is a slow-going restoration, with lots of improvements of the sort I have in mind. Check out the custom manifold the owner had made for Weber side draft carbs. Really spectacular work from Hogan's. Set up with Borranis and new leather interior. This is going to be an impressive car when completed. Quarters were a bit cramped for the photos.

ebrown - beautiful work on yours, too. Silver really suits the graceful lines of the car. I would really appreciate any/all advice and wisdom you can provide. Please PM or email me directly. Many thanks.

Michael - why do you say '72 is the best year for the Italia? As near as I have been able to tell, there were very few changes during the short span of years this car was produced. I am very interested to hear about the differences.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

Just a general statement, as with all limited runs the later years seem to get the kinks out....as far as changes...I THINK...the 72's all had the 351 cleveland instead of the windsor, all had the campys instead of the chrome 5 stars, had slightly larger tail lamps, rectangular as opposed to triangular.
    They had a little better smile in the grill area, something was cleaned up up front....but generally they were all the same, just assembled at later or earlier times...
    Looks like you too are doing a spectacular job...Please post more pics asap.

I would love to find a perfect 72 Coupe again...In case you here of one ?????????

Did anyone know the where abouts of that Factory 72 Coupe Targa that was in Hemmings last year....Shouda grabbed it! VERY RARE

4. oceans

oceans Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #29 oceans, Sep 16, 2008
  5. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

Are those minilite wheels?

Nice!

6. ebrown5686

ebrown5686 Rookie

Sep 14, 2008
    Albuquerque
    Full Name:
    Ed Brown
    Thanks for the kind words, you all. Just got back from the Concorso Italiano, a fabulous event that doesn't seem to put a great priority on etceterini. I was asked to park in an area well away from the Pantera's and Iso's, and found my self a spot between a pink Cadillac Allante and a Citroen ( both very nice cars but not the motif I was working for). The show just great....I met a lot of terrific people and saw some great cars. But there were three very nice Italias there and they just really didn't get their day.
    I'm running out of time,as I've got a trip in the morning. I'd love to talk with any of you about the many stories in rebuilding one (just getting the right wheels is a bear!) Mine is cosmetically done and really glows but the most exciting part is that, as we start to get out the many bugs, a really fine GT car is starting to emerge with a very strong and distinct personality.
    Let's figure out how to get something together, some group activity that helps those of us restoring cars to share and document info, but also helps these great old cars find their place in the pantheon of classic Ialian cars.
    Gotta go and hope to talk with you further soon'
    Ed

7. oceans

oceans Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #32 oceans, Sep 17, 2008
    Yes, they are 16" Minilite wheels. Bought from "Pack Racing" in Arizona, made in Australia. I've scanned a couple more images, the first is my car at a minor car show where I met Jack Griffith (with the car) and the second is a montage of my car in its silver phase with John Kelsey's Griffith at his now defunct museum in Daytona.
    My car was originally fly yellow and built in December of 1972, but sold as a '72.

MK1044 likes this.
  8. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Does the silver car have Pinto Tail lights???

9. oceans

oceans Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I prefer to call them maverick tail lights.

10. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    This car is at Bobileff's. Slow going resto is right, it's been there for a long time. Very unique color.

PM sent.

Alberto

11. Italia1013

Italia1013 Rookie

Sep 22, 2008
    #36 Italia1013, Sep 22, 2008
    It's good to see so many Italia's surviving. Ebrowns 72 Spyder is georgeous. Attached are photos of my 1971 Coupe and some before and after shots of the work. It has the 351C - 4V. I've had it for about 3 years and have just completed some work, including replacing thr front suspension, all brakes and an engine rebuild. FYI, the new suspension is from Chris Alston's Chassis Works, brakes are Wilwood 11.75" front and 11" rear aand necessitated larger 15" wheels. I went with 15 x 7 Mag 500's as I liked the look but needed a 4.5" offfset. Tires are 205/60R15- Dunlops. I'm still getting everything sorted out completely but the car is well on its way. I'd be happy to answer any questions on the work.

MK1044 likes this.
  12. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    The Italia has arrived - delivered safe and sound by Intercity (who were terrific). It's a bit more worn and buggy than I expected. I will have some sorting to do for sure.

The Italia definitely makes a huge impression. While it was being unloaded, one guy walked up with his lower jaw hanging open and very slowly asked me "excuse me sir, what year is that Ferrari?" I parked it in my office building garage for a brief bit while I had to go out of town and was inundated with questions and lots of words of admiration. Everybody comments that it is such a beautiful car. In my opinion, it looks best with the top down. I will post more pictures when I get a chance, including a picture of the dash. There are a number of switches and levers on it that I cannot figure out. Of course, I'm not familiar with the layout and there is no owner's manual so some of them are a bit of a mystery. Also, the bumpers look to be crudely welded-together segments, instead of a clean curvature. Is this normal or did somebody Franken-weld pieces together (I know, post pics).

Overall, it is such an elegant sultry shape and I'm sure it will be a blast to drive once I get everything dialed-in. Keep the information coming! I would love to know how many Italias are still around and on the road.

Italia1013 - Nice work. I would love to hear more about your set-up and how it performs for you - especially the front suspension and brakes. Where is Chris Alston located?

13. Italia1013

Italia1013 Rookie

Sep 22, 2008
    #38 Italia1013, Sep 24, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
    Beng,
    Congrats on the Italia. I have a few questions? Coupe or Convertible? A/C? Engine 351C, 302 0r 289? Where are you located?

I first saw the Italia when I was 15 years old. 3 years ago I had the opportunity to buy one and I love it. A lot of info can be found at www.intermeccanica.org. although the site is no longer being updated. You can also find a wiring diagram and owners manual ( that will tell you what the switches do) a lot of history and other publications there. The design of the car is attributed to Franco Scaglione ( Ferrari 250 & others) and also to Bob Cumberford ( GM stylist and author for several car magazines) The original chassis was designed by Mark Donahue ( Yes, the Race driver) and Bob Crossthwaite chassis designer for BRM's old F1 team.

You'll find the car very sturdy and well put together. The downside was the "execution" of the front suspension The car was built with parts from over 290 subcontarctors and most of the front suspension was Fiat Truck parts that are difficult if not impossible to replace. I am told that the upper A arms were unique the the Italia however. I believe that as the car went from the 289 to the 351, increased power and weight overburdened the front end. My car developed cracks along the shock tower welds. Most people recomended a Mustang II type suspension replacement as the way to go and that is the route I took.

You can find Chris Alston at www.cachassisworks.com. Click on "Products" and you will see the G-Machine crossmember. This is what I had installed here in NJ. He can probably recommend a local shop if you need it. We did run into a few problems. The front sway bar interfered with the oil pan. I'm still working around that one but it has not upset handling going without it as the replacement crossmember is very rigid. A fix could be a custom sway bar or aftermarket sway bar eliminator. The new steering rack interfered with the radiator outlet so we substituted a Griffin Aluminum unit It fit right in and the 351 can use all the cooling it can get. The new front suspension is also fuly adjustable and easier to allign.

As for the Brakes, since the front came with new 11.75" Willwood brakes. I upgraded the rears as well. This required us to pull the rear and change end caps to fit 11" Willwoods. An improvement over the 11' front and 10' rear girling originals. They did require larger wheels however so I went with 15 x 7 wheels with 205/65-15 tires. My track was moved in 1/2 inch on each side and the wheels needed a 4.25 inch backspace but everthing clears nicely.

Drac Connelly in California has done at least one very exceptional full rebuild with all original parts but I don't know the cost or his situation as he has had some unfortunate health concerns. John Fortney at Italia Reproductions (www.italiareproductions.com) was also working on a coil over rear suspension replacement. (Be sure to check the rear shock supports for cracking and rust as well. )

I have several of the Publications on the car and many listed on the Intermeccanica web site can be found on ebay. I've also spoken to Frank Reisners wife ( who last I knew was still in BC, Canada at Intermeccanica) Reisner founded Intermeccanica which still makes Porsche speedster replicas.

Lastly, I have some parts left over from the rebuild for for sale for anyone interested. A list is below.

1. 5 Mag 500 wheels 14 x 6 with 195/65R14 Pirelli P400 tires ( About 1000 miles on them.)
    2. 5 Original Cromodora Wheels in need of refinishing but straight. size 14 x 6.5
    3. Original front & rear Girling Calipers and discs.
    4. Original steering rack
    5 Two Italia hubcaps for Cromodoras above.

Lets keep in touch. I'd be happy to give any other info I can.

Regards and Good Luck,

Al Santoro

14. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

Please Sell this car to Me if you should be so inclined...

15. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Still here - I went to University with their son, Henry - who's now running the shop. Somewhere there's a few pictures of their Speedster's gathering with my 348 in the background ;). Great group of car guys. I was lucky enough to meet Frank and get a tour/history of his shop in the mid 80's - quite the collection of projects over the years.

Love the Italia's, and thanks for posting pics of such great examples! I understood they were mostly designed as fashion statements, and not expected to survive for more than a few years: 35 years later is amazing.

16. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    This thread is awesome gang. I have a whole new level of appreciation for these cars since seeing them at Concorso and in this thread. A really exceptionally cool design! Beautiful cars, ownership must be sweet! Congrats!

17. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Hey, now!!! Back of the line!!!! . . . . . . . These have been in my profile since the first day I joined F-Chat. I just want a brand-new 40 year old car, not that I'm that picky - well, maybe I am.

:D :D :D

18. oceans

oceans Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Italia1013,
    I have been thinking about a new front end for my IM4 for some years now. I rebuilt the old suspension about nine years ago with off-the-shelf bushings after modifying the ends, but want a better ride up front. I checked out the G machine website and like it better than any other I have seen. I have a few questions about the application:
    1) What width did you select?

2) I cant tell from the pictures - what did you do to marry up the shock towers to the G machine?

3) Did you have to move the steering universal?

4) How is the steering geometry - does it do well in really tight turning at slow speeds?

5) Where did you get those beautifull headlight lenses and surrounds?

I'm in Jacksonville and have a couple of shops that can do the work. I would consider sending the car to a premium shop with experience.
    Thanks

19. Italia1013

Italia1013 Rookie

Sep 22, 2008
    #44 Italia1013, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
    Oceans:

Here is the info I have but I'll double check with my mechanic as soon as I can reach him.

1. I beleive g-machine front end was ordered at 58 inches, 1 inch narrower than stock width. I'll check my records. We were being conservative in allowing an extra half inch on either side. This actually worked out well as we ended up doing the same on the rear end when welding the new carriers to the rear end to accomodate the brakes. The g-machine front end came with Willwood brakes so I wanted the same in the rear. As a result, we ended up with plenty of tire cleance and I was able to put 205/60 series tires on without a problem so I think the sacrifice in track was worth it.

2. The shock towers were put back in for effect. They are actually not attached to the front suspension at all. To brace to front end, we welded a stout 2" chrome molly tubes on an angle from the 4 x 4 frame to the suspension upright. It ended up being very solid. I'll try to find a better photo. I believe that a major flaw in the original Italia design was hanging the entire weight of the car off those shock towers. That design combined with largely fiat truck parts for a front suspension was allways suspicious. This was exacerbated by move from the 289 to the 302 and then to the heavier the 351C. Now the weight is bourne by the frame itself with the added plus of a fully adjustable front suspension and brakes you can get parts for. At the end we had heavy boxes welded into place and eveyone agreed that they look just right.

3. The Steering fell right into place. No welding required. If you wish, you can order it with power steering, but then you have to find room for the pump, etc. I just went with unassisted Rack & Pinion.

4. Actually, it appears to turn much tighter.

5. Those were on the car when I purchased it. Not original but they are attention getters. you may still be able to get them at www.italiareproductions.com or occasionally on ebay. I do like them except when I detail the car. I don't know if I could have brought myself to install them originally as it requires drilling the headlight surround area for the attachment clamps.

I realize that some may not like modifiying cars from the original, but if you want to drive these things they have to be safe. Hunting down all the old parts may not in all cases be practical or possible. Sooner or later as things need replacement, you will have to sustitute something if you want to keep the car on the road. Besides, I think of the Italia along the lines of Pantera's, and modifications don't seem to hurt their values much. The real interest in the car is its beautiful shape and design and I'm certainly trying to keep that intact.

Besides, with Italia's, its never sure what was original. I've heard of Expresso coffee can lids serving as mounting plates for window lift motors. Mine has two nicely brazed washers in addition to the alternator spacer.

I'll get some more info. shortly. Regards.

Al Santoro

20. Italia1013

Italia1013 Rookie

Sep 22, 2008
    #45 Italia1013, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
    I am still trying to get my mecahnic but to add some info. as to the shock towers, another reason we didn't need to tie them into the suspension is that we built an additional tube frame extending out to support the front of the car body. You can see parts of it in the photos extnding fron the new welded suspension to the radiator mount.

These supports are seen in the cemter of photo 3 in my post above.

Also, the supports referenced in #2 above are shown in Photo 4 above coming form the lower rt. of the photo to the suspension upright.

Regards,
    Al Santoro

21. oceans

oceans Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Just got my 1971 Italia back from the fabricator with a new front end. If it ever stops raining here in Sunny Florida, I'll get some pix posted of the operation and the new interior I had put in last fall. Thanks to Al Santoro for putting me on to the G-machine. The car feels much more sure-footed.
    Oceans

22. oceans

oceans Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #47 oceans, Jun 1, 2009
  23. joltnjoes

joltnjoes Rookie

Jun 4, 2006
    #48 joltnjoes, Aug 13, 2009
    I am a classic car lover and an Intermeccanica collector in San Diego, California. I currently own about 30 cars including 8 Intermeccanica cars. My Intermeccanica cars include: (3) Intermeccanica Italia convertibles 1968, 1970, & 1971. (2) 1969 Intermeccanica Murena sport wagons, A 1974 Intermeccanica Indra 2+2, a 1966 Vetta Ventura, and a 1982 Intermeccanica Roadster (Porsche Convertible D replica). My cars can be seen online at http://www.gallery.me.com/joltnjoe

I am looking to collect every car made by Intermeccanica! I need an Italia coupe! I may trade an Italia Convertible if necessary. Any help finding cars or parts will be greatly appreciated. Phil 858 775-7660

24. joltnjoes

joltnjoes Rookie

Jun 4, 2006
    More Intermeccanica cars from Phil in San Diego. Any advice or leads on parts or cars is appreciated.