Intermeccanica Italia Advice | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Intermeccanica Italia Advice

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by beng, Aug 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oceans

oceans Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Amazing collection!
    I noticed that Italia Reprodctions has a couple of coupes on it's cars for sale section. Might be worth lookng at.
    Oceans

2. joltnjoes

joltnjoes Rookie

Jun 4, 2006
    Thanks for the info. I am friends with John Fortney the owner of Italia Reproductions. His website is old and not updated. The Italia Coupes are already sold. Phil from San Diego.

3. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast

I spy Iso Lele!!! any details

4. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Incredible collection of cars photographed on this thread. Apollos and Inters always seem to take massive jumps in value over the course of 4/5 years. I notice there is no mention of early Mopar powered Inters with 273s yet (admittedly rare), and I'm wondering whether the 68 Mopar bullethole marker lights were standard on the 69s ?

I love these cars!

5. oceans

oceans Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I think the side marker lights were Carrello or Altissima in the teardrop or round shape before they were forced to go with those rectangular DOT fittings.

6. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    The earlier taillights look as thought they might come from an R8 ??. Great lines on all of these cars although the Murena 429 is a little awkward. Wow. ;)

7. Italia1013

Italia1013 Rookie

Sep 22, 2008
    The work on your Italia looks great. Nicely done interior. Post some more photo's when you have a chance.

8. oceans

oceans Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    A note on the "Maverick Tailights". I bought the car in 1989 and stripped it to the bare metal in 1993 and had the premier painter in the area do a first class paint job along with re-chroming and other items. The original Altissima rear lenses were pretty far gone and although my painter shook every tree he knew, no new lenses or chrome surrounds were falling out. As the project neared completion I started getting realistic about whether the crazed, clouded, soot besmirched units should be put back on what was shaping up to be a very rich-looking, tight little ride.
    I started focusing on tail lights of every car I saw on the road that might be a donor as well as looking through my library. One day I saw an old Maverick go by and the next day I was in a salvage yard picking parts. This was a couple of years before John Fortney was on the scene with Italia Reproductions. I really have no interest in going back to the proper lenses. With a new front end, Ford Racing crate motor, rewiring, five speed, oil cooler, aluminum radiator/cooling fan, 16" wheels and other modifications, it's never going to win a prize in a concours. It makes me happy and that's all.
    I'll try and prevail upon "IRISH" to post some pics of his car here as well as let me test drive his "Webbered-Up" beauty someday.
    As soon as it stops raining here, I'll get some wax on mine and post some more pics.
    Cheers,
    Rob

9. joltnjoes

joltnjoes Rookie

Jun 4, 2006
    #59 joltnjoes, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I wish I could see it again..

The sequential tail lights from a early seventies mercury cougar fit exactly in the rear cove of the Italia torino..they were full coverage left to right and were concave V red lenses with thin vertical chrome accents...
    Saw it in the 70's on a coupe
    I'll google a pic and post it...

would love to have someone Pshop it.

11. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #61 msdesignltd, Sep 8, 2009
  12. BLT2DRIVE

BLT2DRIVE Karting

Nov 3, 2008
    Holmby Hills,Calif.
    Full Name:
    Todd Varble
    Nice work, no whining, just getting it done... AWESOME!

13. Italia1013

Italia1013 Rookie

Sep 22, 2008
    BLT2Drive: Thanks for the comment. They are great cars, but they are cars, After you find one you like, fix it, make it safe, drive it , break it and start over. I read a great article on Veloce Today.com about the collector car hobby and how it has been hijacked by high dolllar investors and the "Business of Restoration." Perhaps that is that reason behind the growing popularity of "Survivor Class" shows for original unrestored vehicles.

14. Irish

Irish Karting

Mar 18, 2009
    #64 Irish, Sep 30, 2009
  15. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    ....engine compartment only!

NICE! Please do show us MORE!!!! :)

16. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    That's great Irish. I think the Italia is the perfect compliment to the Pantera that I see it sitting next to. So now the big question, which one is faster? Handles best?

17. joltnjoes

joltnjoes Rookie

Jun 4, 2006
    I am very impressed with the quality of the work done on your Italia! What motor is in your car? What did you do with the original parts. I have 3 Italia convertibles. One of the cars came to me as a restomod with mustang II suspension, new jag rear suspension, built 351 motor with aluminum radiator etc. The previous owner changed the car from a manual to automatic. I am going to convert it back and put in a 5 speed. What brand 5 speed should I install? I don't know much about manual transmissions. The car will be a fast touring car when done not a low geared drag racer. My other two Italia convertibles are mostly stock and I will keep them as original as possible. I may trade one for a coupe or another Intermeccanica car. Who did your restoration? How far are they from San Diego where I am located? What are you going to do with your stock parts that you removed? Let me know. Again, great job! Phil from San Diego my cars on this link http://www.gallery.me.com/joltnjoe

18. Irish

Irish Karting

Mar 18, 2009
    My Italia is all stock other than the valve covers and head light covers, the engine is the original 351 Windsor so there are no surplus parts.

The restoration work was done in LA (Los Angles) the same shop supplied the valve covers and also did the lens covers for the head lights.

In regard to transmission my car has the original T-10 4 speed.

You can contact the restoration shop on [email protected]. Not sure of his schedule as he is doing a ground up on my 68 Iso Griffo.

19. Irish

Irish Karting

Mar 18, 2009
    That's great Irish. I think the Italia is the perfect compliment to the Pantera that I see it sitting next to. So now the big question, which one is faster? Handles best?

The Italia is about 300 hp at fly wheel and solid rear end so in reality a Honda Civic would probably smoke it, but having said that its a pleasure to drive and handles as one would expect.

The Pantera is built to about 400 hp and is allot of work to drive until you get it above 2500 rpm and 50 mph given the non power steering, again a late model 350 Z will be faster and handle better.

The joy in owning and driving classic cars is generally speaking not for handling or speed its more of the whole owner ship experience, am I going to get where I want to go ? with out over heating ? is the air con going to stay running ? is it going to rain ? do I have too much oil pressure ?

If I want speed and handling I take my 575 M for a quick 50 or 250 mile run around the block.

20. oceans

oceans Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I used a Tremec 5Spd when I restomodded my Italia. It depends on which motor your Italia has right now. I recall that the Tremec would mate-up with a Cleveland, but further investigation may be needed. I kept my Cleveland and the Borg-Warner 4Spd. Definitely go with a 5Spd over a 4Spd - completely different car. No Civic will ever smoke mine. Of course the 385+ BHP Ford Racing crate Windsor motor may have something to do with that.
    Oceans

21. joltnjoes

joltnjoes Rookie

Jun 4, 2006
    Did Drac Conley do your red 1969 Italia? If yes he did a fantastic job! Bravo Drac from Phil from San Diego. Drac you need to come see my cars. Irish please also come visit!

22. Italia1013

Italia1013 Rookie

Sep 22, 2008
    Ditto: Beautiful Job Irish. Do you have any specs on the rear shocks used in your Italia. Mine seem to be a bit soft for my likeing and I wondered what shock you used. Do you know if the same valve covers are available for the Cleveland motor.

Regrads,

Al Santoro

23. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Irish

Nice job

I noticed you have an Iso banner do you own a Iso?

24. Irish

Irish Karting

Mar 18, 2009
    Yes, I have a 68 Griffo and a 71 Fidia.