Intermeccanica Italia Advice | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Intermeccanica Italia Advice

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by beng, Aug 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Just discovered this thread (I'm usually in "Vintage.") Back in the day, I sold a 250LM to Sonny Bono, and the only way I could satisfy his manager was to take his Italia in trade. The Italia was dark green, and had a pinsripe outline of Cher on the "B" pillar. After it sat in my drive-way for a week or so, I noticed a foul smell, and after a one hour search discovered a package of Italian salami that had fallen under the spare tire. Yuk!

That aside, I remember it as a pleasant car to drive, although I'm sure it would feel "vintage" today. Except for the lack of that great engine sound, it drove at least as good as contemporary Ferraris, maybe better.

I've always wondered what happened to that car. Sorry, no S/N or other info.

Watching Sonny drive off in the LM was an experience, but that's another story.

2. mangustaman

mangustaman Rookie

Jul 1, 2008
    I have Ferrari 355 seats in my Pantera (02222)which has 2.5 in. lowered floorpans.The neat thing about these seats is that thay are electrically adjustable AND have the shoulder/lap safety belt built into them. That eliminates the shoulder straps being anchored on the rear bulkhead.Each seat was 4500$ from the dealer and then they were stripped and recovered in a scheme carried thruout the rest of the car. Jerry

3. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    I managed to break the right/rear shock mount. It was pretty badly rusted out. The other side is not much better so now I am debating whether to repair or try and install an independent rear suspension.

Does anybody have any experience installing an IRS in the Italia? Is it worth doing - meaning, is there a significant improvement in handling, cornering, etc. My Italia can be downright scary when driven to limit in that it spins wheels in almost every gear and will get sideways without warning. Wheel hop can be a problem, too.

I was looking at the Heidts unit, which looks like it would install without too much effort. But, they aren't giving them away. I also looked at the Jaguar hot rod setup, but I think that will take some engineering to get set up right.

Any thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

4. oceans

oceans Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Ben, I'd give John Fortney a call at Italia Restorations concerning the pro's and con's of IRS. He may have an off the cuff solution. How about postin a picture of your car?
    Oceans

5. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    #130 beng, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. oceans

oceans Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Ben, I've been calling the 805-466-6293 number.He has always taken time to talk Italias with me. Your car looks great! I just had mine fitted for covered headlights that I bought from Italia reproductions. He may be able to get you in touch with Drac Conley who has done Italias in the past.

7. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Thanks Rob. I will give him a ring.

8. oceans

oceans Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    There's a 69 for sale on ebay @ 43k as of today. Hmmm...
    Anybody know what type of brake pads were used for the emergency brakes with a 9" rear end?

9. dtona_1969

dtona_1969 Rookie

Dec 25, 2005
    According to the old club newsletters, the Intermeccanica Italia used a Girling rear caliper (64032734) similar to what would have been found on a AC Cobra or Fiat 2300.
    Pads rear = Girling 64325738
    Pads parking = Girling 64932005

10. oceans

oceans Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thanks Dtona, and welcome to Ferrarichat. I'll look into getting some new pads.

11. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    This is really sad to see, but there is an early '68 Italia that is not much more than an amalgam of rust held together by a few stubborn strands of steel. The whole mess looks as if it is about to collapse in on itself. Astonishingly, they are asking nearly $25k for this disaster. I'm not sure there's much that could even be salvaged for parts here but hopefully i am wrong.

http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1968-intermeccanica-italia--c-640.htm

12. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    If it looks that bad on the outside the rest of it is just as you described.

Lets just say a perfect one is worth 100K ( They sell all the time for 30-65 K) what could it be worth? Unlike many of the other italian makes the engine and rims are worth very little, so there is no salvage. IMO maybe 500 dollars. What a mess.

13. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    I had a 1967 Intermeccanica Torino, (same car as Italia). Got the car when I was 19 after I sold my 1957 Chevy. Drove it almost daily for about five years. Had it for about fifteen years total.

Mine was a coupe, 289, four speed. The previous owner had installed a steep solid lifter cam, a Mallory dual point distributer, made some carburetor adjustments and installed straight through glass pack mufflers. I suspect it was making over 300 HP. Other than that, it was pretty close to stock.

I remember it being a great car. Geared really tall so a bit slow off the line but by the time you hit 2nd gear you were very happy. The Ford 289 V8 was among highest revving factory built engines at the time, redlined I recall at 7500 RPM. The thing screamed. Also was a major chick magnet.

There were a few weak points:

. The brakes were discs at all four wheels, but SOLID discs. It was good for one quick stop, one okay stop, then forget it. Basically you had to be in the right gear and use the engine for braking. But hey, downshifting is fun.

. In the summer, the passenger cabin was intolerably hot. I had no AC.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the car. I could tune it up myself. I thought is was very reliable. I drove it across the USA a few times. I mean from New York to California and back. Once in the Arizona desert, the battery wall melted. But heck, it was 115 degF that day. On the same journey through Arizona, a ball joint popped out but we fixed it with some truck parts enough to make it to Los Angeles.

Got side tracked with family and work. Set it aside. Wanted to do a total restoration which it need by then. But along came my son instead. Finally had to make room in the garage and sold it. Saddest day of my life.

I like the genre of mid-60's cars with American V-8's in Euro (especially Italian) bodys. This was it for me.

14. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine

Bro,

From the photos I'd say:

Salvage value is windshield, engine and trans, probably nothing more. Maybe some trim, door locks, etc.. What could that be? $2,500 worth? Certainly not $25,000.

Having owned a 1967 coupe in the past, and always regretting the day I sold it, I would like to have it to restore. But there is obviously a turd-load of work to do.

Assuming a clear title, I think they've got a $5,000 car for someone who wants to restore it for himself, has the restoration skills and the time, and hopes to wind up with anywhere near even money when he's done.

One potential customer for them is somebody who has a stolen car and only needs a clean title. Because some people out there do that kind of thing.

Optionally, they could hold out for someone who is really passionate about these, or who is a real fool, or if they are really lucky and along comes a really passionate fool.

Carmine

PS: I think it's the same dealer has a wreck of a Ghibli for sale that also seems priced unrealistically. But hey. They're running a business.

15. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast

Your thinking of Ferrari's, lambo, Maser. too much rust think about the amount of sheetmetal, cheaper to buy a restored car. It's gone.

16. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I'd laugh if I weren't crying.

Even in the old days I wasn't stupid enough to fall into the trap of looking at it with glazed over eyes saying to myself I can save it.

17. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Bondo was king in the 80's

18. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    #145 MK1044, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
    Fellows,

There is wisdom in your words. But I still suspect there's enough there to do it. I'd have to see it in person to be certain. The frame looks pretty bad. Replacing major pieces would certainly eliminate any possibility of being an accurate "original" car. Depending upon suspension connection points, hinges and lock connection points, etc..

Salvage value:
    . if engine is running then 289 V-8 with Borg Warner T10 four speed $500;
    . windshield if very good to excellent $1000;
    . probably no other pieces worth storing, advertising, etc..
    These are very light cars so the scrap metal is probably not worth more than $100.

Maybe offer the salvage value plus gamble factor: maybe $2,500.

Minus inspection, aquisition, transport, etc. costs. A local SoCal guy could do it. For me in NYC it doesn't make any sense.

But as I said in my earlier post, their real potential clients at that price are either:
    . an unscrupulous person who needs the title to cover a stolen car;
    . a really passionate fool.

:) The advert says: "Condition: good".

19. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    LOL do what?

20. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    MK1044,

I'm surprised they put the car on a lift with that much rust! It could have
    collapsed at that moment. Phew!!!!

Mark

21. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Mark,

Agreed. It looks pretty scary. I would not stick my head under it without plenty of timber cribbing. On the other hand, if the car was that compromised (structurally), I would expect that we could see that around the doors. Hard to tell from the photos, though.

My gut feel is that it needs plenty of work but can be restored. Priced way too high. I've been thinking about calling them up to see if it's a misprint. Maybe they mean $2,500? That I would do. ;-)

Carmine

22. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    This is both an amazing story and a stunning example of an Apollo. I was fortunate enough to see Phil's absolutely stunning black 1966 Vetta Ventura, which is quite similar to the Apollo, and these cares are just so pretty.

This one has a really incredible story:

This 1963 Intermeccanica Apollo GT-5000 (Chassis # 1043) was found in an abandoned warehouse in 2004, having never been given a drivetrain and still a finished rolling shell as delivered from Italy when new. It has quite a story (below), and is believed by marque experts to be the last of the 66 original production Apollo coupes to have remained incomplete when found eight years ago. Even though it was found as a zero-mile roller without drivetrain, the car was completely rebuilt by the current seller to a very high standard with the assistance of Milt Brown, who originally developed the Apollo model in the early 60′s. The car has covered 3800 miles to-date including several 500-mile plus road tours. It is now available, for the first time ever, in Franklin, Tennessee for $128k.

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/04/02/bat-exclusive-long-lost-1963-intermeccanica-apollo-gt-5000/

23. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=251102084443&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_36946wt_948

The interior and wheels are, to my taste, all wrong (and not original or even period-correct) but the white exeterior works surprisingly well with the Italia lines. The BIN at $115 seems awfully optimistic with so little information provided about the restoration and work that has been done. The pictures seem fairly thorough but it would be helpful if restoration photos were included.

Does anybody know this car?