Internal shift shaft seal leak in 308? | FerrariChat

Internal shift shaft seal leak in 308?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Octonion, Sep 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
  2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Open the filler plug and use something like a turkey baster and a piece of tubing to suck out a sample of the gear oil. If it's black there is motor oil in it.

Rifledriver and Octonion like this.
  3. F308fan

F308fan Karting

May 7, 2017
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Tony Pacini
    Can it leak the other way, from the gearbox side into the engine side?

4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The oil level on the dipstick will be lower, and if you take off the fill level plug on the transmission case, if much/any oil comes out, then it is higher than it should be.

One indirect indicator is if the seal is leaking oil outside the engine around where the shaft goes into the casing, making for some drips and weeping of oil that might appear to be coming from elsewhere. If it is leaking there, it is probable the inside seals are nearing their service life too.

They are just square profile o rings, I am surprised they seal pretty well as along as they do.

Not too bad to replace them both, it can be done by taking off only the tranmission pan, there are some threads on how to do that.

Octonion likes this.
  5. F308fan

F308fan Karting

May 7, 2017
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Tony Pacini
    Mine’s a 2V; the oil level on the dipstick is ALWAYS lower ;)

Rifledriver and moysiuan like this.
  6. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    When my 328 leaked several years ago, routine checking of the engine oil level suddenly revealed a lower reading on dipstick. It is doubtful that the tranny oil can get into the engine because, as I recall, the oil level in the engine has a higher free surface.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    This is mostly true. The seals on the early cars were just a round O ring. The later cars were not really square, they were shaped with a square face on one side a hollowed out rear side with an inner and outer lip seal very much like a drum brake brake piston seal. A brake piston seal works because it is pressure activated and increased sealing with an increase in pressure. There is not much pressure or none in the engine/trans but the seal had little lip pressure to start with. They work pretty OK until heat and constant oil exposure conspire to make the rubber hard. If the outer leaks the inner is almost certainly leaking too.

moysiuan likes this.
  8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    When things are running, it's probably possible for a small amount of either oil to move in either direction past a leaking seal, but, when the engine is not running, the engine oil level in the wet sump is well above the oil level in the gearbox = the pressure difference is always from the engine to the gearbox so it's mostly during car disuse that the engine oil is moving into the gearbox past a leaking seal.

9. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The most obvious way to tell engine oil is leaking into the gearbox, or already has, is when the engine is fully warm it is very difficult to shift any gear

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    It can overflow from the trans vent. I added dye. Also when I opened the level plug it over flowed

moysiuan likes this.