Into Golf ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Into Golf ?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by FerrariSlave, Mar 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Diva

Ferrari Diva Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Diva
    I've played golf, took lessons, would rather watch paint dry.

2. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

You can use a ball from your partners or buy some more if necessary and it doesn't hold up play.

3. ahahaha, post this discusion on golf boards their great.

4. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    LMAO Uro!

5. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I got my first set of clubs when I was 13. I am now 23. Ping Eye 2 knock-offs. Didn't play much at all for the first 2 years.

Then highschool came along, so I began to take lessons, and joined the golf team. Upgraded the clubs to some Titleist oversize irons that I had for only about 1 year(because Southwest Airlines LOST my clubs! Bastards only gave me $1000 for what amounted to $2000+ worth of equipment).

Then I upgraded bigtime to the Ping ISI nickel irons. They had the steel, copper, and nickel versions. The steel ones were the largest and worst feeling of the bunch. The nickles are slightly smaller and much softer in feel. I still play those irons to this day, although I wouldn't mind getting me a set of the newer Titleist blades.

Only have had 2 putters(1st one broke when attempting a baseball style swing after tossing a ball up in the air, heh). Currently using a Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport II. Hate it. In fact, I put better with my 56 degree Cleveland, in all honesty, its ridiculous. So I figure I need to just buy a simple blade putter, and load the back of it up with lead tape, and it will somewhat match the feel of putting with my wedge, but have a MUCH more consistent rebound off of the face.

When playing highschool golf I played 5 days/week and got down to about a 4 handicap.

Then came the qualifier for the last tournament of my senior year in highschool. This is the single series of events that led me to QUIT golf for 2 years!

Basicaly to qualify for the event I had to play the first 9 holes of my home course TWICE in a row to get my 18 hole qualifying score in.

Like a dumbass, I play the first nine like complete crap and score myself a blistering 47. PAINFULL!

So then I go back to the first tee to start all over for my second 9-hole score. Knowing I have to shoot somewhere near 36 this time, I figure not to give a crap and just have fun. Well I had more fun than I bargained for.

Hole 1: Par
    Hole 2: Par
    Hole 3: Chip in for birdie
    Hole 4: Par
    Hole 5: Chip in for birdie(again)
    Hole 6: This is when the golf coach and other members got wind that I actually had a chance. So now I get a small gallery of 6 people watching. Hit it stiff, tap in bird!
    Hole 7: Par
    Hole 8: Two putt the par 5 for a birdie
    Hole 9: Barely ring in a left to right 8-footer for par and a score of 32.

32 ended up being a tie for the course record on that 9 holes! And this after earilier shooting 47!!! Total score? 79!

Which tied me for a sudden death playoff with a teammate for the last spot a the tourney.

So we go back to the 1st tee, both tie hole #1.

2nd hole? I lose my swing, tempo, composure:D And blow the hole, missing the last tourny after comming SOOOO CLOSE from the most improbable conditions.

That was the day I became resigned to the idea that golf, at times, can be nothing but RANDOM BULL *****! (at least that is what I thought at the time.):)

So I quit the game right then and there, only to play again 2 years later. First round out at English Turn(local club, PGA Tour host for 10 years), championship tees, and shoot a 73. It was ridiculous. I just laughed at the absurdity of the situation.

So then I began playing again, albeit infrequently(1-3 times per month).

Somehow my handicap dropped to a 3, despite being a 4 in highschool.

Moral of this rant? GOLF WILL DRIVE YOU INSANE!!!! So just go out, relax, take what comes, and you never know, you might start dropping strokes off of your handicap.

I guess nowadays I play better than I did in highschool because of my attitude, despite not being NEARLY as committed, and taking no lessons whatsoever!

Anyways, anyone ever see that movie 'dead solid perfect' with Randy Quaid? There is a great scene in it where an older gentleman is playing the worst golf of his life. He finally gets fed up after a duff, pick up his club with utter contempt, and just says, "Fu*k YOU and everything you stand for!!!"

Classic :D

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    During casual rounds, most club events and even (maybe) your clubs major events such as an invitational or memeber guest, you can use any ball you wish. Anything you find along the way, beg, borrow or steal.

A "one ball" rule mostly applies to events sanctioned by bodies like the USGA, PGA or your state (professional or amatuer) golf association. Basically "one ball" means that you must start and finish your stipulated round with a ball of the same type you started with. You can switch it during play for another of the same type or if it's lost. The rule is basically to eliminate any advantage soemone might get by using different balls for different situations... golf on!

7. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    hmm, all these ball types to choose from... i'm going to use a round one.

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I hate you!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

DL

9. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    After reading and posting to this thread I got inspired to go embarass myself on the golf course today. Course was brutal! It was completely tipped out, and had rained 5 inches yesterday!!!

Luckily I had an obnoxiously high ball flight with the driver, so distance off the tee wasn't hurt too badly by the sloshly fairways. Shot 5 over on the front, no birdies to at least make me feel better.

Then went par, par, par, bogey, par, EAGLE, bogey, par, par for a total score of 77.

The eagle was on the signature hole 15. 540yrd par 5 with a large Island green. Driver, 3 iron to 12 feet(thank god for the 30mph downwind help!), and a decent putt.

Now time to tune into the Masters to watch how its REALLY done!

I predict a Michelson/Nicklaus playoff, with Nicklaus sinking a 30 footer for his 7th Masters victory......ok, maybe not!

10. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I just had my set of clubs regripped for the first time in YEARS...man what a difference!

I got the winn grips, by far the best I have ever used. highly recommended!

11. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I agree, just got a winn on my putter. twenty years made it pretty slick.

My clubs hadn't been regripped in about 15 years, but I got new clubs so no worries there.

It does make a world of difference when you're not grabbing icicles.

My index is creeping down, should be reaching my goal of shooting high 70's low 80's constantly by the end of the summer. Just need to keep finiding the time to play.

12. Yikes, 15 years, nice that you got them regripped though.

Anyone got any questions,comments or feedback on www.golfboards.net. ?

It has grown to 24 users and 410 articles in 2 weeks, which isn't bad.

13. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Picked it back up last summer after not playing since high school (1991). Played yesterday for the first time this year. Played horribly, but was teaching a girl and only played 9 holes..of course the 6 pack of beer with no lunch didn't help matters but I had fun!
    ;-)

14. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    LOL! I literally can't drink more than one beer when on the course. My game gets affected after any more than one. It's quite funny because I am 6'2" and can hold my own when taking a drink, but the coordination when playing golf is so intense that I really can't play very well with a couple of drinks in me.

What clubs did you settle on?
    My clubs were so bad that I think the lack of grip was literally costing me 2-3 shots per round at times. I couldn't believe the difference once I took the newly regripped clubs to the course. lol
    If you are time constrained maybe you could schedule a couple of lessons here and there with your club pro. It really makes a difference when you are trying to go from shooting in the mid to upper 80s down into the 70s. Its just good to keep the fundamentals in check, that way you can have the most effective practice sessions when alone on the range.

15. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    John,

I picked the hogan apex ftx's, I used to swing the old hogan apexes and I do like blades. these are nice because they are bit more progressive in the long irons. TM r7 ht, and vsteel 3 and 5 wood (these are the best fairway woods I've ever played). I also carry my trusty 60 hogan (the grooves are a bit worn, but I know that club so well and can't seem to find one in the same weight.) and a 52 hogan carnoustie (I'm just learning it). My putter is an old berrilium ping anser I stole from my dad after he had a bad round.

For me it's all about focusing on each individual shot and not letting the last one get in my head and try to over correct anything. I have a sound swing, if I don't try to jump on the ball.

Played nine at my local track and shot par today. One bogey, one birdie. Played with two good players and that helped a lot, plus the round moved along smoothly, not much waiting. Not much of a course but you still have to make shots.

I would schedule a lesson, but I don't have much faith in the pros I've met so far, and they don't come highly recommended. I had a great teacher in High school, so my expectations are quite high. I'm a little weird about it.

16. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    i shot par once... on one hole. i felt like a hero who'd just got a hole-in-one on a par-5.

17. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

that's how I got started. :)

18. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    It's almost as addictive as Ferrari's isn't it? I have always say that it only takes one perfect shot a round to keep me coming back.

19. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I was a big golf nut in high school......went to provincials twice and was a 4 handicap at the age of 16....but now I don't get out much and need to play well to shoot in the 70s

20. SMC

SMC Rookie

Nov 16, 2003
    cup size

21. bruceski3

bruceski3 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    East TN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I play Putt Putt - PPA (Pro Putters Association). Does that count as golf??
    We use the same sanctioned PGA balls which we used to only play with the Titleist Tour Balata 100's and now we use the Strata Balls. I got the ball out in my car but I forgot what the name is for the ball itself.
    Btw we play for 50,000 dollars on ESPN2 on July 24-29th which breaks down into 3 different championships for $20,000 , $25,000 and $5,000 dollars. www.proputters.com
    Also the 3 best Putters in the World go head to head in Orlando FL at some resort for 100,000 dollars. Doubt I will ever be a finalist in Orlando FL but I enjoy hustling money on Putt Putt though in my Hometown.

22. Any F-chatters over on www.golfboards.net? I can't identify by nick names, usally people use different ones on different forums. I usally use the same one at every forum. :)

23. Sorry for the site downtime, we are now back up on a new server, which is much faster and more realible. Check it out, BTW to reask the question above, we have any F-chatters on golfboards.net yet ?

24. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    jsut registered, vincent 355

25. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    Well I just joined after reading this post. Over there, I go by otto.