Introduce Yourself... | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Introduce Yourself...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Aug 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    #351 kverges, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just got my Private Pilot yesterday! Lots more to learn, but it was a watershed event for me. Rob, don't don't get all pissy over the fact it is a Cirrus
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Andog

Andog Karting

Jul 17, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andy S
    Wanted to say hello from southern Illinois.. Not a pilot but a marketing guy and aviation buff.... Used to work with the Reno and Tunica Air Races... Miss that excitement.. The Unlimited racing are a thing of beauty and awe....

Safe flying to all!

Andy

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    congrats Keith! don't worry, I gave up on you years ago Vettes, Vipers, etc... :D

4. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    Congratulations! Great accomplishment.

5. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    Better now that construction is almost finished.

6. BlackonBlack

BlackonBlack Formula Junior

May 30, 2010
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #356 BlackonBlack, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
    Hi, as far as I can remember, flying always had a special place in my heart. Every time I flew
    I had to have window seats. Started flying lessons in high school ( 70's ) but had to quit for
    money issues. Finally got my PPL in '97 at Teterboro Airport, Million Air FBO. Sadly, I have not
    maintained currency since 9-11. I've got 260 hr logged. Have sometime 15 hr in rotorcraft @
    Caldwell Wright Airport.

Cars, love them. Who doesn't. My second job was at a gas station learning a mechanic's trade.
    Had to make money for my toys doing what I loved to do.

My fascination for Ferrari started when I lived in Switzerland for 1 year. I saw
    a red car that stood out from the rest. Ever since I was 11 years old I knew I had
    to have one of those.

Fast forward to now, married with 3 kids ( who loves cars ), I want to be around
    people who share my passion. The natural choice F-chat of course.

Ed

7. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Welcome!

Sounds like you belong right here with the rest of us!

:D

8. source

source Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2010
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Bumping this old thread!

G'day guys,

I have never been one for heights above anything a foot off the ground until recently. Last week I was given a rare opportunity to ride passenger (and control) in an aerochute; a powered-parachute. These craft are able to climb as high as 5000ft, and can maintain a flight time of about 1 and a half hours before refuel (2-stroke engines).

Remarkably, even from a 1000ft up in the air, the whole notion of 'fear of heights' is completely removed, and the focus shifts from this paranoia to the enjoyment of gentle flight. The flight itself was completely risk-free as it had all the appropriate restraints and fail-safes in place; for example, if the engine cark'd it midflight, the parachute would still function to allow for a safe landing, and if the parachute developed a hole (god forbid), the design of the aerochute allowed for it to 'roll' (whilst occupants are in a brace position) upon impact with the ground.

Had mega amounts of fun on that day and thought I would share the experience with the world!

Michael.

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    #359 Hannibal308, Sep 23, 2012
    Just wanted to say hello. I started flying at 15, soloing in a PA-38 Tomahawk at 16 and getting my ticket at 17 in a PA-28. I was so lucky learning to fly in beautiful Santa Barbara. I worked for every cent of that license. Good fortune chased me everywhere and I went to the USAF Academy and on to Pilot Training in Phoenix at the now civilized Williams AFB. I'm a Command Pilot with over 3K hours in single and twin engine fast jets including the T-38, AT-38, BAe Hawk T Mk1a, Eurofighter Typhoon, F-15, and F-16. My last flying assignment was in the RAF flying the Hawk at Boscombe Down, Wiltshire, UK. I'm a die hard Ferrari fan and am on the verge of getting my first Ferrari...a Euro Glass 308. I thought I'd leave a pic of the ultimate Ferrari on my wishlist. Blue Skies...

Hannibal

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    very cool, welcome!

11. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I missed passing the Class 1 flight physical by one ailment. My eyes were perfect.

I have about 200 hours TT - PIC. single engine, tail draggers, and aerobatics.

I also turned a 737-200 and rolled an A-7K Corsair II :).

12. Michiel

Michiel Formula 3

Apr 15, 2008
    Amsterdam, NL
    Full Name:
    Michiel
    Beautiful those F-104's...... I was at the F-104 farewell of the Italian Air Force at Pratica di Mare. That sound.........

13. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Just started to spend a lot of time on this forum in the last couple of days. I have owned a DD Countach since 1987 and 3 Ferrari's over the years 308, Mondial and Testarossa. Also have a Ford GT and a Mosler MT900s at 2400 pounds and 820 HP.
    Maybe adding a 360 next year.

Airplane stuff:
    2013 will be my 40th year at Oshkosh and 23 years ago I had a deal with Steve to buy what is now Jelly Belly. Steve changed his mind as I constantly remind him, so I bought this one instead. P-51D Worry Bird
    [​IMG]

It won Reserve Grand Champion at Oshkosh before I owned it in 1984 and Reserve Grand Champion in 1995 at Sun N Fun.

The pilot who flew the real Worry Bird in the war is still around and I just got back from a fishing trip in Sitka with Bob Frisch where he turned 88 on the second day. They do not make them like that anymore. He is a very respectable man and I try to get my kids around him as much as possible to see what he is made of.

I also have a -5 Corsair purchased in 1999

[​IMG]

Plus a couple other trainers etc. Most recent acquisition 1928 Stearman C3B mail plane
    [​IMG]

Currently working on restoring a 1931 Fleet Model 9. One of 2 that exists.

Been flying since 1978 and I am closing in on 90 types flown so far. Some of the neat ones include Mustang,(6 of them including mine), Corsair, Spitfire, Sea Fury, B-25, Falcon 50, and almost 2 hours in an F-16. I was able to get my All Makes and Models Experimental Aircraft endorsement on my license a couple of years before they stopped it, so if anyone wants to let me fly their P-40 I do not have to go through as much of a check out as someone who doesn't have that rating.

I flew in a formation at an airshow in the mid 90's as number four where the lead was Chuck Yeager and number 2 was Bud Anderson, and I rolled a Mustang over Duxford a couple of years ago.

Sorry for the bragging but most people don't care to listen. A lot of my friends have a room with their aviation stuff they call the "I love me room", my wife says we have an I love me house with all of the pictures on the walls etc.

I need to meet Russ as I saw his Camel at Oshkosh and it is absolutely spectacular. I think there might be some of my drool on it still.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #364 Bob Parks, Oct 11, 2012
    What a nice surprise to see your post. I had a flight in Worry Bird in 1985 during the 50th Anniversary of the B-17 when Jack Rose was the owner. What a thrill that was! Enclosed please behold the drawing that I prepared for the Spencer Aircraft calendar that year.

15. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    I believe I bought this drawing from you maybe in 1992. It is hanging near my office in my home. Very well done I am glad I bought it. I talk to or visit Jack every couple of years. Last I saw him he was working on a Great Lakes.

16. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris

No apologies necessary. Rather, please, tell us more!

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #367 rob lay, Oct 11, 2012
    I'm listening! congrats on everything. I love the Mustangs, but like I fell in love with Ferraris growing up on Magnum PI and Miami Vice, I fell in love with Corsairs growing up on Baa Baa Black Sheep. :) We have a Goodyear model here local Lancaster, TX.

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I think that my P-51 drawing was in a gallery on Boeing Field when it sold " To somebody back east" so that somebody must be you. Thanks for having it,anyway. I'm working on a series of large 4 foot profiles painted in oils of famous airplanes and the P-51D is started. I'm painting it in bare shiny aluminum without markings so that anyone in the future can order a version of it with their markings or personal decorations.
    One of the most exciting F4U incidents for me was in 1945 at Langley Field during the Armed Forces Air Show. Unannounced, it roared down the ramp low enough to kick up dust and went into a climb, passing the Bell P-59 jet that was supposed to be the star of the show. The F4U was the latest test version powered by a P&W R4360 and it put on quite show before it disappeared.If you're ever in the Seattle area it would be nice to meet you.

19. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    I used to frequent Seattle when Bob lived in Spokane but haven't been there in a while. I will keep the offer in mind.

[​IMG]

Here is your art just outside my home office. Very nicely done I am glad I got it before someone else did.

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm glad that the drawing has a good home with someone who, like the old Buick ad said, " Ask the guy who owns one."
    Thanks again.
    Bob

21. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    When I was in college (around 1980), I made a promise to myself that if I made a certain amount of money in a year, I would buy myself a Ferrari (used 308 for cash).
    Well in 1990, I did make my goal.

But I looked out of my apartment, and realized I had no where to park it. As I was deciding what to do, the Gulf war broke out (1991).
    I watched plane after plane take off and land on the carriers and said - that is what I am going to do. I started lessons, got my license and bought a Grumman Yankee.

A few years later I got my Instrument rating in that plane.

Around 1998 I wasn't flying as much, business was not so good, I had just gotten married, so I sold the plane.

Well in 2004, things were good, it was time for my midlife crisis.
    As I understand it, a midlife crisis consists of a trophy girlfriend, depression and a sports car.
    I decided to skip the first two and go right for the Ferrari.
    So I bought a Ferrari Mondial. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Two years later my neighbor was going to sell his 1985 Testarossa (my dream car) which I bought. I sold the Mondaial it to an awesome person who had the ride I can only wish we all could take. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-discussion-not-model-specific/106502-1700-miles-mondial.html

So back to Aviation.
    In 2010, one of my buddies decided he needed to go to Oshkosh. We flew in a Cessna 182. It was like being on a fraternity road trip. I new I needed a new plane. Soooo...

Some lessons, and now I am flying a Cessna 182 RG. Flying out of Somerset. Got my IPC, Complex and High Performance ratings.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    good story, congrats!

23. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #373 Thomas Magnum, Mar 1, 2013
  24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    As someone who works on the C-130 program every day - a big Herky welcome!

25. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #375 Bob Parks, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    I admire your dream of getting a Ferrari TR and that you are flying the big birds but to see Del Rio mentioned brings back memories from 1944 when I was stationed at Hondo and seeing Basic Training twin engine students doing practice landings (controlled crashes) at Hondo in Martin B-26's. Bizarre stuff. BTW my son has a TR.