Introduce Yourself... | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Introduce Yourself...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Aug 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. imported_Playersmarkus

Apr 26, 2007
    Markus here, from F Chat. Made a huge mistake and took a helicopter flying lesson in 03, got hooked of course, got my private in 04 and since 05 I'm one week away from my commercial :O).

Have most of my experience in Schweizer 300,333 and 206 JR. Little bit of left seat experience in a couple other birds. My dream bird is one of the three aerobatic approved Red Bull Bo105's.

The helicopter is the ultimate vehicle in my opinion, but I also want to get my fixed wing ratings done asap. Flying is the ultimate freedom and relaxation for me (as long as the engine is running :O) ). There is so much to learn, to improve, to practise...it's the only hobby I know which simply cannot ever get boring. AMEN.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Welcome Markus. Markus from Players Run?

3. imported_Playersmarkus

Apr 26, 2007
    Yes, that's me. Don't worry, I have no intentions to chat about PR :O) PR is biz and flying is my love...
    Rob, will we get a 'Helicopter' forum ;O)?

M

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Very cool, haven't talked to you in awhile.

We had one, but have minimized the forums for now. I'm starting to work harder at getting traffic. Pass the site along to all your flying buds.

Actually, I will start any forums you want if you get enough people, either a regional area, local club, or something like a helicopter forum. Just promise me over 10-20 active people and I'll do it. That offer goes for anyone. If you have 10-20 people local in your area that get together and need a forum, I'll give you one, just needs to be active.

5. lovick1

lovick1 Karting

Apr 30, 2006
    The Lovick Lodge
    Full Name:
    Timothy J. Lovick
    Hello all.

Tim Lovick here.

I fell in love with aviation at an earlier age than I can remember. I spent the first 12 years of my life living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and my Dad used to take me to the EAA Airventure every year.

I majored in aviation my first year in college, but then did not have the cash to take the flying lessons and subsequently changed my major. Back in 2003 I finally got back to it and acquired my Private.

One of my other passions is Scuderia Ferrari. Yes... I came here from Ferrarichat.com after learning of this sites existence from Rob.

Glad to be here! Cool site!

BTW: The picture next to my name is my daughter asleep in the back of my Cherokee. Every time I take her up, she's out within 10 minutes!

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That's a cute picture. How old you think before I can fly Mia up 420 miles to Kansas?

7. lovick1

lovick1 Karting

Apr 30, 2006
    The Lovick Lodge
    Full Name:
    Timothy J. Lovick
    Sydney was age 2 the first time I took her up. It did not seem to bother her at all. She did not seem to feel any signs of motion sickness, but then fell asleep! She ALWAYS falls asleep. I'm not sure if she gets bored, or the hum of the engine just puts her out.

I'm not sure about a child younger than that. I guess the real issue is how high are you gonna go? The change in altitude, and subsequently, air pressure can be hard on the inner ears of our little ones.

I bet the Dr. that did your medical could give you some advice.

T

8. lancemaria

lancemaria Rookie

May 9, 2007
    Hey folks. I'm a traveler from the Spain. Look forward to looking around and improving my knowledge so I might share with my friends.. I'm sure I'll find this forum useful and will hopefully be able to contribute with some experiences in the future.

glad to be here!

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Hola, Manuel.
    Welcome to Av-Chat. What are your interests?

10. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Retired Airline pilot here. Just checking out this site. thanks, Tony

11. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Welcome - we could use some experience and wisdom around here. Lots of visitors to the site who are just getting involved and could use your perspective.

12. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I would be happy to contribute where I can.

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Hi Tony, welome aboard. I have to assume that you had some time in the 727, hence the handle.
    I,too, had a bit to do with it too. I worked on it for several years and then taught 727 airplane familiarization classes to almost three thousand people---not all Boeing. It was a jump not only in design and aerodynamics but some manufacturing innovations too. I have always had a soft spot for the airplane even after working on all the others up to and including the 777. I gave many tours to airline pilots and heard comments like, " You'll never get all that trailng edge stuff to work." And, " It is the only airplane flying that assembles the trailing edge after take off."
    It proved to be very reliable and effective.
    Switches

14. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    My favorite model was the 200 series. I remember walking out to the aircraft one day and they had a brand new 200 at the gate. I was like a kid with a new toy. It smelled new, everything was shiny and clean. First line flight! I did not want to give it up!

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The stretches always seem to be to the better in most airplanes. The -200 was (is) a beautiful airplane.
    Switches

16. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Just got back into town after a trip from Atlanta to Chicago and back on United. I don't think I hae been on a United airplane in 30 years!

Anyway - my wife and I flew 1st class in the new CRJ - 700 - it was quite nice for an under 2 hour flight. We were impressed.

Came back this evening on a 737 - very nice - lots of leg room - crew was great - they anounced "thanks for flying with us and not Delta!"

You can follow the entire trip from Clearance delivery to ground control instructions at the destination on Channel 8 of the audio - which is great for us pilot types.

17. av8erboy

av8erboy Rookie

Jul 25, 2007
    I fit in the above categories somewhere, I am early retired from career of 20 years now 44 years old looking to do what I want to do. If it turns into a career - Great, I am just not sure where I want this next adventure in my life to take me. My father was an Air force Mechanic, My Grandfather was a P-38 pilot, I have always loved WWII aircraft and will probably join the Commemorative Air Force after my immediate training is done.

The Plan :
    Get as many Certs, Ratings, and as much experience as possible and see where it takes me. I am drawn to the Idea of flying some big aircraft someday and my age might be a bit of a draw back but it is not like am a twenty something trying to build a career. So I guess I will just see how far my hard work and dedication to this new challenge will take me.

18. Foz

Foz Rookie

Aug 7, 2007
    Hi fellas,
    Sure like what I have seen of your site here. Looks like a pretty decent bunch...Think I might just pull up a chair and chat.
    I found this place here while I was killin' time and looking for more info on flight training. Stumbled on to Rob's day by day account of his quest ta fly.
    Danged if I didn't have ta read the whole nine yards. Way to go Rob!
    I'll be dropping in regular I 'spect..... Warren

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Welcome, that was a month ago, a distant memory! :)

20. yoramschwell

yoramschwell Rookie

Sep 17, 2007
    I've always loved flying. I am working as a data manager for a small non-profit organization. I am gathering information now to find a way to get my pilot's license. I am also looking into a career change, and would like to combine a hobby with a profession. My wife is totally onboard with my becoming a pilot. I've got the support. Now I just need the time and money to make it happen.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

21. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Keep the day job - buy a few lottery tickets, maybe try to get a part-time/weekend job working around airplanes so you can get a feel for what opportunities there are that might interest you, and also to get some cheap/free flight time.

Maybe volunteer some professional services to a large flight school, etc.

Just ideas. It's tough these days - especially with a family.

22. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Newbee here, have been on Rob's FerrariChat for about 4 years.

Hi all :)

Pete

23. wakana

wakana Rookie

Oct 7, 2007
    ink barely dry on my private ticket (just got it about 3 weeks ago), so these days I'm either crisscrossing delmarva & chesapeake bay with my wife on board, or part 61 working on my ifr. with my 30th birthday on the horizon, I tend to think into career change too, like many of you out there...

24. P557M

P557M Karting

Oct 14, 2005
    ASSONET, MA.
    Full Name:
    STEVE
    #224 P557M, Oct 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I came over from FCHAT also. Been flying since 1981. Own a Mooney and an Aeronca with floats. Love it. Here's a pic of my Mooney off the wing of a Chipmunk over Buzzards Bay Cape Cod.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I don't know why more folks become crop dusters. Heck, I've considered getting out of medicine to do it. Check trade-a-plane for the schools and deals.