Introducing ELEMENT fire extinguisher | FerrariChat

Introducing ELEMENT fire extinguisher

Discussion in '206/246' started by Element, Nov 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    As a Dino owner we decided to make our very first post in the Dino section...

Classic car owners know that carrying a fire extinguisher is a necessity to protect our vehicles in the event of a blaze. Until now this meant having a large pressurized cylinder either in the cabin or inconveniently placed in the trunk. In the event of a fire, precious time is lost getting to the extinguisher and the mess created in extinguishing the fire is significant. :eek:

All of that changes with Element. Imagine an extinguisher that is 80% smaller, weighs 1/10th as much, discharges for 5 times as long, makes no mess, and does not expire. Using technology developed for the space program in fixed installations, Element is a hand held application that emits a gas that chemically interrupts the process of combustion. This allows you to put out a fire without mess and without robbing oxygen from the surrounding area. Element is totally non-toxic, is totally unaffected by temperature, and will not expire like a traditional extinguisher.

Made in Italy Element is both TUV and CE approved. It has won dozens of international awards and patents including 10 industry and media awards at the SEMA Show. It is rated for all major classes of fires and is perfect for home, office, vehicle, or anywhere else you may want to carry the protection of a fire extinguisher.

Small enough to fit in the door pocket of your Dino it is an essential tool for open road motoring.

Check out more information with videos and comparisons on our website: www.elementfire.com

BTW: the Dino community already know us here as 'Nuvolari' & 'rosemeyer' and we are thrilled to show you guys this first.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Astonishing!
    My only concern is that it sounds a little too good to be true. But if it really does what it claims to do, it should become an instant commercial success. The need for such a product already exists, so you won't have to conduct expensive marketing campaigns to convince people that they need it!

Will the collector car insurance companies accept this type of device as a substitute for big, clumsy 1 or 2 kg conventional extinguishers that they now are mandating? If so, that would be a blessing.

So this is what you were hinting at before the SEMA show!! Now I can understand why you were a bit secretive.
    I wish you great success with it!

3. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Lars thank you for the positive encouragement. We have been doing product testing and getting North American certifications for the past year. I have personally tested this product in Italy and was very impressed with its performance. Moreover because this product is so accessible and easy to use it will allow you to get to fighting a fire faster than with a conventional clumsy extinguisher. By approaching fire fighting in a totally different way than has traditionally been done we have a product that really revolutionizes personal fire protection. I'm not interested in selling snake oil. I tried it and would gladly use it instead of a traditional extinguisher any day.

4. PhatFrank

PhatFrank Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Norway
    Sounds amazing - will you ship to Europe?

5. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    he answered "no" in another thread due to distribution rights

for europe, you can google MANGIA FUOCO on ebay italy

sofar, I´ve been carrying this part for more than 8 years in a bracket behind my drivers side seat belt ... fortunately never had to use it though

6. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Correct we cannot ship to Europe as it violates our distribution agreement. Also please note that the brand Mangia Fuoco is no longer an active business as its products violated the patents that Element holds. Any stock of this product is old and will carry no warranty or liability insurance coverage. Just an FYI.

7. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
  8. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I presume this is a single-use extinguisher (i.e., cannot be recharged)?

9. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Correct once you start it there is no stopping it and it is a one time use. That said regular fire extinguishers cannot be re-used safely once they have been deployed even for a second. They would need to be re-charged. Whenever you need to deploy an extinguisher, its replacement cost or re-charge is the least of your problems.

BTW Ron awesome little collection you have put together :)

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    One design comment I'd like to make is the strike seems a bit cumbersome. Perhaps a different way (trigger?) to discharge would be better. I'm actually going to order one just to test and set it off. I really like the concept and if it works well, I'm in for 10-15 of these for my cars, house, garage and business. I like the idea posted about attaching one to the side of a lift. I have a lift in my garage and I would do that for sure.

11. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    The strike has the following advantages:

- Super simple and has no moving parts to bind or fail
    - Gives you multiple tries if you are flustered and miss

Try it and you will see that it is as natural as lighting a match.

12. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    One of my concerns is dropping it in a panic and then running after it down the street :D I think it would be better if just popping off the cap would ignite it. Or, add a lanyard to the strike so one can't drop it. I'll be ordering one to try.

Manda racing likes this.
  13. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Is it safe to keep rattling around in a glove box or do you need to buy a mount?

14. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    It is totally safe in the glove box and I keep mine in the door pocket. The entire unit is solid state with no moving parts. You can vibrate and shake it till you turn blue and it won't affect it at all.

Rory J likes this.
  15. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    So the all-or-none feature seems to be a bit of a disadvantage, because if you only have a `small' fire that just requires a quick squirt to extinguish, with this style you'd probably want to aim it somewhere else to allow it to expend itself after the fire is out. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being `glass half-full' about the item...I think it's awesome and will likely buy 1 or 2 or 3. And maybe you'll use the profits from this endeavor to restart the early Dino engine light production...;)

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I bought about 6, one for each car. I like the size and the concept. It easily fits in a Dino glovebox. Super light and thin. Better than having multiple halon extinguishers that eventually lose their charge. 3 Items to always have with you in a vintage car:

- Cell phone
    - AAA premium card
    - Element Extinguisher

Freeman

Element and Nuvolari like this.
  17. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    available in Europe too?

18. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    If this thing works as advertised I absolutely love it! I have a couple of cars where installing a fire extinguisher bracket would be too invasive (like drilling a hole in the floor). This thing is so light and small that you can put in in a glove box, behind a seat, etc.

19. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Most important about this extinguisher is that it’s a clean agent like Halon. Never use anything else on an engine fire! Most other extinguishers leave residue/mess which gets into your motor and then you need to rebuild it. Same with any electrical fire. Other great thing about Element is it doesn’t expire like other extinguishers.

Freeman

Element likes this.
  20. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    I can assure you that it works as advertised which is why I carry it faithfully in all my classic cars. With the amazing small size and no expiration we are hoping to create a whole new group of extinguisher carriers for those people (me included) that respected the need for an extinguisher but did not carry one because of all the drawbacks. Beyond personal use many of our customers have also said that they like having an Element handy because it gives them something convenient to help someone at the side of the road in an emergency.

21. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I have experienced serious damage done by traditional powder fire extinguishers on a classic ferrari and I am more than interested by this products
    How can we purchase them in Europe?
    are they compatible with automatic systems?
    If I can, I'll get a dozen of those!

Envoyé de mon SM-G800H en utilisant Tapatalk

22. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

What collector car insurance companies are now mandating fire extinguishers? Is that happening in Europe now?

I haven't gotten a notice about any such mandate from Hagerty in the U.S.

23. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    AFAIK no collector car insurance company in North America yet mandates a fire extinguisher so you should be OK. In some places in Europe a fire extinguisher is not only needed by the insurance companies it is also required by law as part of the tool kit on every car on the road.

24. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    All the collector car insurance companies in Sweden require a fire extinguisher and a battery disconnect device in order to qualify for their collector car insurance.
    Don't know about other countries in Europe, but I would be surprised if they did not have similar requirements.

The fire extinguisher specified from my insurance company is one that meets SS-EN3 standard (EN 3 is the European norm), at a minimum corresponding to a 2 kg powder extinguisher.