Ipod Adapter Installation for 360...PICS | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ipod Adapter Installation for 360...PICS

Discussion in '360/430' started by brokenarrow, May 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008
    Mahopac,New York
    Full Name:
    John Flip
    i am currently in the process of cutting the adapter cord and splicing in an extension so the cord is longer and can be hidden more discretely under the dash and carpet and come around to the console with a little bit more slack. just need a multi wire cord and a soldering iron.

2. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    The new iphone has problems with a lot of equipment. A friend just installed a voice/phone/intercom on his BMW bike and it worked great - until he updated his Iphone, nothing but hiss now.

3. mv4

mv4 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    So. Cal
    I had the exact same issue in one of my cars. It was working great, until I purchased the new 3gS. Now I can't get the iPhone bluetooth to sync with the car!

4. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
  5. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008
    Mahopac,New York
    Full Name:
    John Flip
    good find...maybe it's worth it not to cut, splice and soldier hmmmm...

6. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I just installed the cable and it runs nicely into the underside of the glovebox. Then you can just hide your ipod on the glove box and don't have the cable loose down the side of the console.

7. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    For those that have installed this cable, how did you get the radio to find it? If I plug in the CD changer the radio just finds it. If I plug in the iPod cable the only input option is tape. I tried holding down the * button for 8 seconds looking for an aux input to show up but no such option. How did you guys get the cable to work?

8. scott40

scott40 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Should work for the CS unit too-correct?

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #59 greyboxer, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
    Gobble : I'm pretty sure whichever Becker you have you need to turn on aux - see instructions in post 1 - after you hold down TP long enough to get into programming you need to rotate tuning till aux appears then turn on

10. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    That worked, thanks. Would be nice if they included that in the instructions.

11. cs1

cs1 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mr X
    Sorry to bump this thread back up, but on the topic of this - is the following cable not the exact same thing on the Becker end (but obviously fitted for a different model mp3 player?)

If so this is a bargain (item 200543781498 incase link doesnt work)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-iPOD-MP3-3-5MM-JACK-AUX-INPUT-CABLE-BECKER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb157427aQQitemZ200543781498QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Separate question - is it straightforward to route a cable such as this under the carpet and under the gearlevel section to come up in the ashtray (the only aspect not addressed) ?

12. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I have a 6104 on my 360 and the Ipod Adapter worked.

13. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    It's very straight forward to route under the carpets. The difference I see with the cable you posted is that it plugs into the headphone jack, while my cable plugs into the port at the bottom of my ipod. I have a wireless remote for my ipod that plugs into my headphone/control jack.

14. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
  15. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    It is indeed straightforward. However, the cables from Becker are a bit on the short side (33-36 in). If you run it from the head unit, to the firewall, under the carpets, and then to the tunnel, it will be long enough to exit the ash tray.

But it'll be too short to exit the rear of the tunnel and have usable length left over. You can either run the cable up the side of the tunnel, or buy an extension cable.

16. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Another detail to anyone doing this: if you have a CD changer and you do the basic audio plug, you have to disconnect it or you'll never be able to turn on AUX. I think the iPod adapter connector effectively disconnects the player at the head unit but the audio adapter only disconnects the audio lines, it doesn't include the right blanking connector. You still have to dig into the front of the car and physically disconnect the CD changer unless you want to cut wires.

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I used.. one of these:

PORSCHE RCA AUX INPUT iPOD MP3 ($10 bucks)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PORSCHE-RCA-AUX-INPUT-iPOD-MP3-BECKER-XM-SIRIUS-/200446847336?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eab902968

And one of these:
    AV Audio Video Cable for Apple iPhone iPod Touch Nano ($7 bucks)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/AV-Audio-Video-Cable-Apple-iPhone-iPod-Touch-Nano-/400167714339?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item5d2bdabe23

to connect my ipod. The screen says "this accessory will not work".. but the sound booms from the speakers.. (pins for sound out are conserved in the connectors) I have my ipod in the glovebox on shuffle.
    I wish I could change songs on my ipod via the radio.. but those adaptors are much more expensive and difficult to find.

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Oh yes, almost forgot the becker OEM radios are the same connectors in the ferraris (not sure about the newest 05 and later radios with navigation) as in porsche, landrover, etc.
    My radio was a stock becker with NAV.

19. sanham

sanham Rookie

Apr 12, 2011
    my Modena has the Becker stereo that has a dot on each of the three buttons in the upper right, tried with the pd button and with the TP button and nothing, as Becker auto sound recommend. Do you have any suggestions?????

20. sanham

sanham Rookie

Apr 12, 2011
    Now is working..... just have to press several times teh CD button to make the stereo accept the AUX.....

21. Transhuman

Transhuman Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    Cloverly
    Full Name:
    Juan
  22. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I ran into some issues installing mine so I'll post some feedback that may help others:
    1. I couldn't get "AUX" to show up to recognize the new iPod cord. (I followed the instructions that came with the Becker cord as well as pressing and holding the other buttons for 8 seconds as mentioned in this thread).

2. Finally figured it out. On my Becker radio (6104) There are three buttons on the top right of the radio, the first one is above CD, the second one is above the "*" symbol. You have to press and hold the second button (the one above the "*" symbol) for 8 + seconds and it will bring up a new menu. That new menu will bring up a screen that shows the "AUX" and you can turn it "ON" by pressing the button underneath AUX. Now when you turn your radio on, push the * button and it will find the new AUX device.

3. Note: Now the iPod adapter works but the iPod sounded poor. For some reason my Sub does not work when the radio is on iPod/Aux mode. (I have the OEM Becker head unit plus an Alpine amp in the trunk and a large sub behind the passenger seat). Accordingly the iPod plays only using the OEM speakers and head unit -- very tinny (even if I adjust the equalizer the sub does not kick in at all). Accordingly for now I will not be using the iPod connector until I can figure out why the Sub doesnt work when head unit is in AUX mode.

(The good news is during this install I learned about the car-- took the panels out to access the CD Changer and discovered the master battery switch in the trunk. There is a knob in the top left corner of the trunk-- it says turn to right for "OFF" -- it is the master battery switch for those of you just discovering their FCar parts like I am).

23. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    just a heads up to those who are ordering the cable from beckerautosound on ebay. Despite charging $100 for the cable....they are no longer including the keys to take out the radio. I have read in a couple of places that these were part of the kit, but the seller now wants another $11. My own fault for assuming and not verifying in the item description, but this might save someone from making the same mistake.

24. Maragan

Maragan Rookie

Nov 27, 2011
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I ordered an iPod cable fom Beckerautosound's eBay store and paid for it on 14th December, on 29th December it still hadnt shipped so I sent them a message and next thing I know it was shipped out that day.

No email to apologize for delay or anything so keep an eye on their handling times if ordering.