Irvine | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Irvine

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by rob lay, Jun 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA

I would get a reservation

Texas Forever and rob lay like this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yes, it is California.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Urgh, Marconi close the entire time we're there, closed half of September.

4. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    time to pivot

Lyons air museum

Tide Pools in Laguna beach (check for low tide schedule)

https://www.southcoastplaza.com/stories/2016/12/noguchi-garden/ Garden Costa Mesa then shop at South Coast Plaza if you are into art and designers

https://thesherman.org/ corona Del Mar then walk around to all the shops and restaurants

or pick me up after I have had 10 cocktails at the Ritz Carlton bar and drive me home (probably the most fun out of all of those)

rob lay likes this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what is typical dress for Cali, like at Twenty Eight? no shorts and flip flops even though Cali? :D slacks and collar or jeans ok?

best beach Huntington, Newport, Crystal Cove, or Laguna?

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    wow, coming back to me now, I use to stay with my half brother in the late 80's. He had a house in Costa Mesa and was Assistant Golf Pro at Big Canyon CC.

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    lunch at Javier’s newport beach. need reservations.
    not expensive.
    Mastros newport beach. casual dress but nice.
    get the lobster bisque soup and salad and bread.
    in costa mesa there is a michelin one star japanese restaurant. take out. google michelin star restaurants costa mesa.

rob lay likes this.
  8. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Cali is fairly casual. If you go to a nice spot, nice jeans and a collar shirt should do it. 90% of the time I am in shorts and flip flops. In Manhattan Beach you can hit any place in shorts.

Here is my vote on beaches (based on hanging out/shopping/dining, and not laying out on the sand):
    1) Newport
    2) Crystal Cove
    3) Laguna
    4) Huntington

Edward 96GTS and rob lay like this.
  9. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    NO shorts and flip flops at 28. Thats a pretty hip restaurant. So just wear something fashionable. Doesn't need to be jacket or tie, but you will be with the pretty people there.

I recommend Chaak in Tustin any day over Javiers. Hip, less pretentious and more unique food. Chef Gabi Patrick is an innovator and Chef Micehal Rossi (from Napa Rose and the Ranch ) joined the team

Highly recommend Eno Steak in the Ritz Carlton. I do like Ocean Club, but it just such a predictable choice in my opinion. (but anyone is welcome to take me there :)

All the beaches you mentioned are different.. For surfing and Dwights Cheese Strips (if you are not a local you will probaly hate those...same way I feel about Tex Mex Food and Queso in particular). Huntington.

Newport is just OK. Corona Del Mar is nice but more for the surrounding community. Laguna is more scenic and has the tide pools.

Hit them all and also take a walk on the trails on the backbay right outside your hotel

rob lay likes this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    restaurant updates?

tomc likes this.
  12. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA

It’s called NewPorsche Beach BTW

is your wife Vietnamese? If so you must go to Little Saigon and I can guide you.

looks like all my recommendations are spot on? I’m at your disposal You have my phone via DM and text response will be faster

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Lin is Chinese, but eats everything bats dogs whatever. ;). I do too.

we just wanted to view the beach today waiting on check-in and reservation tonight.

I’ve been up since 2:30 am pacific, but going strong with the Old Fashioneds so far. ;)

ChipG likes this.
  14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    really? bats, dogs??

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha :D not really really, she has tried dog once in China and didn’t know it, probably never bat. her dad moreso. that said we both eat about anything pig ears, balls, any seafood. :)

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Twenty Eight was great, the food and drinks. The atmosphere slightly strange spaced tables and 40% full. We were a little over dressed, no shorts, but most people jeans and tennis shoes. Service was great very nice hosts and waitress.

the food was so solid, I don’t think I could top it anywhere Dallas. Octopus great, mushrooms great, filet and bone marrow perfect, lamb great. Even the dessert was really good. Anyway, best restaurant meal I’ve probably had all year, just a weird strange atmosphere.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc, Edward 96GTS and DiamondDog like this.
  17. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Chaak in Tustin will top it. It won't be as a weird of an atmosphere and very unique. Its not a steak house. If you cant get a reservation on a Friday, let me know...I know some people :) It has a glass roof that opens up like Cowboy's Stadium

Eno Steak in Laguna Nigel in the the Ritz Carlton will top 28 as well

Papa Bros in Dallas.....not sure 28 tops it.

rob lay likes this.
  18. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    #43 DiamondDog, Sep 15, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    For Sushi https://www.angoteisushi.com/ Sherri is part of ownership. Tell her you are one of our friends. They dont take reservations but they may if you tell them I sent you. Sushi is not rolls...this is all about the fish.

This is the style of sushi as from the Documentary Jiro Dreams of Sushi. About 1/3rd the price. But still pricy. More formal than Agontei. These places are super rare in the USA and doubt you have this in Dallas https://www.yelp.com/biz/ohshima-japanese-cuisine-orange-5

For Lunch either go here https://www.mariosbutchershopdeli.com/ as you can walk to it from our hotel or go t Crab Cooker in Newport Beach. The owners are our neighbors and best friends... Ask For Jimmy who is ownership http://thecrabcooker.com/

You are pretty close to UCI and there is Hen House for Persian. Very informal. and that bread they make per order.....wow....cant find it anywhere else.

Ramen inside Mitsua Market in Costa Mesa (Sontouka)...hands down the best even though it in a food court.

Pizza Mozza in Newport is really good... More than pizza of course. Make sure you get the Nancy's Salad....wow... and I am not a salad guy

Breakfast at Raya at the Ritz or https://www.yelp.com/biz/haute-cakes-caffe-newport-beach

OCKlasse, tomc and rob lay like this.
  19. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    The Marconi will be open this Sunday for a Ferrari meet if you'd like to come by :)

DiamondDog likes this.
  20. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    I love Shunka for sushi on 17th St. Though the ambiance might not be up your alley. Moulin is within walking distance of your hotel and you should definitely stop by for a croissant, pain au chocolat, or even in the evenings for their brasserie (Moulin Bouillon). My office is actually only a 15 minute walk from your hotel as well. Small world :)

DiamondDog likes this.
  21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    tomc likes this.
  22. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    do you agree that out coastline looks like Italy or Europe when you look back at the houses in Newport Coast area?

awesome that you saw whales. I imagine you saw horny (as it like to hump everything) dolphins , right?

what did u decide to eat tonight and what else have you been eating? You are doing judged BTW and there are bets being placed and paid.

rob lay likes this.
  23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We went to Gulliver’s last night before Mia’s race as direction of Great Park and I’m a fan of Prime Rib. The atmosphere and service was A+. I love those old dark British pub settings. The Prime Rib was great and up to any restaurants standards, but I make my own Prime Rib on the Big Green Egg so I prefer the way I do it. Lin’s duck had a great covering, but when will everyone stop overcooking duck! You should cook it more like steak than chicken.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc and Edward 96GTS like this.
  24. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    rob lay likes this.
  25. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA

Gullivers is an institution. Pretty good. Summit House is tops but not as local to you. Amazing views from Summit house. five crows in corona Del Mar is owned by Lawrys

rob lay likes this.