Is 74 enough?? | FerrariChat

Is 74 enough??

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bob in Texas, Oct 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I believe the manual calls for 74 ft/lbs of torque to the wheel lug bolts. When torquing the bolts, that sure doesn't seem like enough. They are tight, but not anything like you would think.

My 430 has titanium lug bolts if that matters.

What do y'all think? IS 74 enough?

2. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’ve heard you can strip them out if tightened to a 90-110 like we do with lug nuts.

Fwiw

3. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    74 is good. Interesting post on here a while ago showed you would need to halve that torque value if using a good anti seize on the threads to achieve the same clamping force.

neil e dale likes this.
  4. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I've set my 360 Spider with Modular wheels at 79 lbs and used Anti-Seize and have had no difficulty at all.

neil e dale likes this.
  5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That just means you didn't torque them to 79, you torqued them to something closer to 120 and the spec is actually 100NM or about 72 ft-lb. Didn't have any difficulties based on what??? It didn't obviously strip? You have had the bolts checked and they didn't have any internal damage or permanent deformation from the extra force? Or the wheels are still on the car so it must be ok? Don't get me wrong, they may be fine but you went WAY over the spec and that has risks of damage and unexpected failure.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  6. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Interesting discussion. I never placed Anti-Seize on any of my other vehicles until I read on FChat some time ago about using it on my 360 lug bolts. My other vehicles all have lug nuts and I torque them to 100 ft. lbs. What I meant by "not having trouble" is that when I torqued the bolts to 79 ft. lbs I did not feel that I had to apply any greater pressure than what 79 ft lbs would feel like when using my torque wrench. I have removed the bolts on one wheel recently and the bolts easily were removed. Again, it did not feel like I had to use 120 ft lbs of pressure to remove the bolts. So with that said, it appears that adding Anti-Seize increases the ft lbs of pressure by 50%? (79 ft lbs torque + anti-seize = approx 120 actual ft lbs of torque)

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The shift may be as low as 30-35% but it is significant. All torque specs are done on a dry bolt. There are some long threads on this and a number of studies have been done.

neil e dale and ShadowLAP like this.
  8. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Got it. I will re torque them now to 74. Thanks for the clarification.

9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Ferrari wheel bolts are M14 x 1.5. The torque spec is 98 N-M which is 72.28 Ft-lbs.

Use 90 Ft lbs. While I had success for years at the spec, I once almost lost a wheel (however, it was refinished so that's another story). I've been using 90 ft lbs for years and many techs use 90 as well.

10. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Dave, are you suggesting 90 ft. lbs even if using Anti-Seize or is that a dry torque setting? thanks

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Dry.

ShadowLAP likes this.
  12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Use what the manual says dry clean threads. Do not use anti-seize. I only use beam torque wrenchs. Clickers are notoriously out of calibration and unreliable. A beam is stupid simple. In 100 years the beam will still be there for you.

Interestingly there is a thread her on Fchat where guys were at a Ferrari of "whoever" track day and wheels fell off one or more 430's. I can't remember exact details. Ferrari factory came back and said use more ft-lbs when tracking. I can't remember the number. Someone smarter than me can search it.

I extensively race I always use higher than factory specs on street cars converted to racecars but under the limit for the fastener size. There are general rules of thumb for diameter/pitch/material.

neil e dale likes this.
  13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's not been my experience. I had one calibrated a couple years ago and it was 10 years old and still in specification.

When using those, it's good practice to set them to zero after each use so they don't develop a "set"

neil e dale, Greg34 and Keith Darby like this.
  14. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I guess i'll stick with the manual spec, 72, not 74, huh. I don't track the car and every couple months i check the torque being OCD and all, so i think I'm safe. I searched on here awhile back and saw not to use anti-seize.

Speaking of seizing, one of the wheels refused to break from the hub ---It was holding on for dear-life. I tried PB blaster, kicking the tire from behind and the only thing that eventually worked was loosening the lug nuts and driving up and down the driveway to break the death grip. (I used the steel lug nuts)

Funny tho, up until 3 years ago I didn't own a torque wrench (leaving those kinda things to the dealer, Indy's, etc) and had to watch a youtube video on how to use it... such a newb...

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You can use anti seize on the hub. Even a little grease works.

Skidkid and Jaguar36 like this.
  16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    A beam follows simple laws of physics. Physics works. A clicker has a bunch of moving parts that increase your chance of failure. Calibration is but one failure mode. About the only wheel failure we see on race tracks are wheels falling off.

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    No beam torque wrenches are used in many industries including aerospace. They work just fine, Carl. And all measuring instruments should be calibrated - I spend thousands annually having all of ours done.

Sky Hye likes this.
  18. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Thanks fbb. I was always told never to put anything on lugs and never do. Thanks for reinforcing that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes! And when was the last time johnny six pack calibrated his harbor freight torque wrench? OTOH a hillbilly in west virginia could have a beam torque wrench with some rust on it and it would still follow the laws of physics as long as the rust did not compromise the beam of steel.

20. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I would also not put anything on the hub face. It should be dry too. Grease on the hub face attracts dirt. Wheel on/off can trap dirt between the wheel and hub face making for wrong torque and loosing a wheel. The reason the guy got his wheel stuck is most likely an OEM wheel. OEM wheels are hub centric and often can bind on the hub. That is a good thing! They are easy to remove just like a bearing race not going in its seat perfectly straight makes for a bad day.

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The wheel pilot (1/4 tall at best) can most certainly have anti-seize or grease applied. This is common practice. Once the wheel is installed, it's contained. It won't affect torque at all. Common sense would suggest to wipe clean and reapply each wheel change.

Now, I don't do this on my Ferrari because it does not see the elements but it's a must on my BMW used for winter.

neil e dale likes this.
  22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    If the rotor hub and wheel are both aluminum, and I think they are on Ferraris, there should be no need to lube the hub face. A reason to do that on other cars where the metals are dissimilar is because the galvanic reaction could fuse the two surfaces together.

To get back to the original question, the torque value seems low, but that’s only because most other cars use smaller diameter lugs or wheel bolts. 74 ft-lbs should be plenty for the large diameter bolts on our cars. Go to 80 if you want, but I would certainly not use lube on the threads as others noted.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The wheel bearing pilot is typically steel.

24. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Bob,

I too have Titanium Lug Bolts.

I believe the workshop manual says to torque Titanium Lug Bolts first to 25nm, then 50nm, the final torque of 100nm.

Dan

zipperkarting, Bob in Texas and Flea7 like this.
  25. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    I have used 1/3 less torque and i believe it's what anti-seize recomends ?