Is a 246 better long term than a 458? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is a 246 better long term than a 458?

Discussion in '206/246' started by JB833, Nov 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Agree with all you said, and I think we've been pretty fortunate with our car. That said, given a good, well-cared for Dino to start with, I just can't imagine that a 458 would show itself to be the better fiscal choice over the long term when all service and yet-unknown depreciation/appreciation is taken into account. Would the 458 be the easier, more reliable car to own? In the short term, absolutely.

2. DinoCavallino

DinoCavallino Rookie

Jul 12, 2017
    My Dino left me stranded 3 times. It's a very fragile car and does not hold up well for frequent driving. I would go with the 458

3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    As others have said depends on what you want Ihave owned my dino for about 5 years probably will never sell . I purchased a VERY nice car withgreat help from a couple of well known dino fchatters. I have spent maybe 5000 on it in maintinace and repairs . I dont drive it as a regular car but when i do it is truly a unique car more room then you would think inside and definitely not fast by todays standards but lots of fun and to me the most beautiful car i own...
    458s come and go and eventually will just be an old ferrari but a dino will always be a dino

Bluebottle likes this.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Mine never stranded me aside from the time I burned out the alternator stuck in LA traffic going up to Monterey. The battery went flat after 4 hours of driving. I had to stop mid way on the way back to LA and charge the battery again to get home. Oh the joys of owning Italian machinery! :)

One time I had a date and I took her out to dinner in it. We were leaving the restaurant and I put the key in the ignition and turned. Before the car lit, the key BROKE OFF in half in my hand! Cheap Fiat pot metal.

No problem! I reached under the key switch and hot wired it in about 5 seconds. Try doing that in a 458! :)

davemqv likes this.
  5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I was driving a 1972 Alfa yesterday. Nothing to distract you, no screen, or electronic settings.
    Absolute simplicity, and a much safer car to drive. Oh Oh, it's raining, am I on WET? Oh no, it's on RACE :)

Regards, Alberto

6. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I have both cars, actually. The better long-term value is naturally the Dino. In terns of practicality and reliabity, a new Honda or Toyota will trounce them both at a fraction of the cost.

As Freeman and others here noted, the real question is which car will you enjoy more?

7. JB833

JB833 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    London
    Great posts from everyone and lots of new angles for me to think about. So far I am leaning towards the Dino..... Thank you everyone, I am enjoying reading your points of view.

8. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I have heard this question asked for years based on every new-ish model vs. the Dino.

I bought my first Dino in 2001 when I was 27 years old. At that point is was a "Girl's" Ferrari or for people that didn't have the ability to buy something better, like a 308 (been there and loved it), 328, 348, 355, or 360 (ruling out V-12's).

Take a look back at how better the Dino has done vs. all of those cars.

My biggest concern about the more "Modern Ferrari's" is the computer/electrical/etc that currently doesn't have decent long term support. I owned a TR for 15 years and it was very difficult to get factory support. The more digitized things are, the more difficult maintenance will be.

The Dino is the way to go, unless you are wanting to drive it almost daily with modern day creature comforts.

Shawn

Bluebottle likes this.
  9. Watsonvg

Watsonvg Rookie

Aug 10, 2013
    Milan
    Full Name:
    Flavio
    I have my 01944 Dino since 1972 and I used it every day for many years up to the moment I had my first daughters and son from 1981 onwards . Reliable. Under 1m. of snow or in the heat of the riviera. In a line or in highway.
    Try to be sure that the engine is 'young' because the only serious problem that the Dino had was the life of the valves. In Milan Ferrari workshop they knew the problem and gave advices to the owners to make an overhaul of the heads after 75.000 Km (about 46500 miles). Now the Dino is always there, waiting for me in any moment with only 116.000 km. Three kicks and it goes! I had later a Testarossa and I hated the fact that I was obliged to change the timing belts every 2 years or 20.000 km. This meant removing the engine every time. You had to spend 1500 Euro to change pieces that cost 37 Euro. Now the modern Ferrari have no chains, but only timing belts. Get information aboutt this detail too. It's not a problem of expense, but of frequency. In 14 years I had it, I changed the belts 7 times!
    At last, the Dino and the 458 are both very nice, but the Dino is wonderfull :)
    You have a nice problem to solve .... ;)
    I attach an old picture of 1982 for the 99.999 km. Note the steering wheel and the Ferrari badge. Image Unavailable, Please Login Now they returned both original.
    Flavio

10. Watsonvg

Watsonvg Rookie

Aug 10, 2013
    Milan
    Full Name:
    Flavio
    Can you explain what happened that three times ?