Is a 500E Really a Collectible? | FerrariChat

Is a 500E Really a Collectible?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Texas Forever, Apr 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which car should I buy?

1. Are you kidding me, buy the 500E. It will be the next 6.3 or 6.9

2. Screw that. The C55 is a monster.

3. Ha! Don't buy a Mercedes. Ferraris are much more reliable.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #1 Texas Forever, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
    Okay, I drove one today. Cool car. Mikey likes it; but, this car was built almost 20 years ago. Time moves on. Rust never sleeps. Yada, Yada, Yada.

Here's the bottom line: I can buy a 1992 500E with 60k original miles (and a MB GPS, which has to be a first, plus an $2,000 Alpine stereo the original owner put in, plus when the original transmission sprung a leak, the original owner had it replaced rather than repaired.) Seriously, the car drives good. It still has a bit of the '80s swag. Cool car. I can probably buy this car for $20,000.

However, I can also buy a 2006 C55 with about the same mileage for, say, $17,000. Based on my recent experience with a 2002 BMW X5 for my wife, I can buy an three-year Easy Care Mortgage for $3,000. Having previously owned a new C55, I can honestly say this is a rock 'n' roll machine that blows the doors off just about anything on the road today.

BTW, both cars have rear steel springs instead of air shocks.

Which one would you buy to run about 10,000 highway miles a year?

I don't believe the 500E will depreciate, if it is a true collectible. The C55, on the other hand, will probably depreciate some more.

Dale

2. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Any Mercedes built after say after 2000 is a money pit regardless of the quantity made. Porsche will never colaborate with Mercedes again to create a collectable car like the road weapon 500E.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would call a 500E a used car bargain, not a collectible. It looks like an old Merc E-Class and is now outgunned by more recent AMG efforts.

And I agree with Mark, if you buy a post-2000 Merc be sure to get whatever warranty you can through the dealer. My experience has been that when electronic gizmos fail (and they do -- in my case the instrument cluster), fixing it involves swapping out a larger component in wallet-crushing fashion rather than repairing it.

I love several of the newer Mercs, but only to lease for the warranty period.

4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Dale,

I would check on the cost of mechanical upkeep. I believe, these are not inexpensive cars to maintain.

5. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    Buy the new car .

6. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    On the contrary; the parts with the exception of exterior sheet metal are all either 500SL very common engine components or 300E body and interior also common and available.

7. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I wouldn't think twice - buy the 500E.

Agree with others in that I wouldn't buy any M post ~ 1998.

8. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    True. But from what I understand from my MB mechanic when I was considering these cars, the labor is higher due to tighter access in the engine bay, etc.

9. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    I think it is the modern day 6.3 and 6.9 and although mine is probably the top 1/5 of well conditioned, low mileage cars I've still lost money on the car if I sold it today. I bought mine used in 1997 I think for around $49k. Its one of those cars that the level of car you get is way more than what you pay, so I always saw it as a steal.

I'm not thinking it will be worth $50k-$70k in another ten years as a collectible, but you never know. There are always buyers for this car, and the low mileage ones are always sold at a premium. To me a 500E/E500 is like a Patek you pass onto your son. You're buying one of the few Mercedes legends for anywhere between $20k-$40k. Its a rather inexpensive way to own a legend and a car you very rarely see on the road anymore.

I have an old March 1994 issue of Automobile magazine which had an article on the 500E named "Notes from the logbook of the World's Best Car", a great article on the car if you can find it online. In it, the writer states, "when I'm at Sears Point or Laguna Seca with the 500E and I see people looking at it, I can see that they really love cars. Knowing about the 500E is a part of a deeper understanding of automobiles", I always thought that was a cool description of this car and very true.

10. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    By the way, here are the production numbers for the USA

1992 500E- 633 cars
    1993 500E- 498 cars
    1994 E500- 374 cars

11. Feranza

Feranza Rookie

Apr 18, 2011
    Buy the car to enjoy it, not to speculate as to value. This thread saddens me.

12. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#12 Kds, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
    The 500E is not "that" special. Sure, it's nice.....but not special or unique enough to be a real collectible with retained value.

A stock (and heavy) 500SL engine was stuffed into the E class body with the suspension tuned by Porsche.........big deal.

The C55 is a real AMG car thruout........try and fix either one today and you'll see that there is no difference in cost.......for $20K I am all over the C55 with a warranty..........

13. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Well, you have to understand Dale. He is capable of enjoying it, and speculating as to value, and chewing bubble gum. All at the same time. :)

14. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I assume the difficult parts to obtain, are the items that are unique to the 500E.

15. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Passed by a 500e on the highway last week. It looks quite ordinary like just another MB. 20k seems like a lot.

16. whatspeedlimit?

whatspeedlimit? Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    Denver, Colorado
  17. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Spotted a burgundy 500E on Friday night in Omaha. GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Impeccable condition as well.

18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, I drove a white 60K car, a week or so ago (along with a 280se 3.5 coupe). I also drove a 49k car today. Very cool.

It is a C55, no way. I brought a C55 brand new. My bad. I lost $25K on depreciation. But, what a rocket ship. I have never driven a C63, but the C55 was the best compared to a E55 and a SL 55. Seriously, if you are ever at a stop light in another car, don't even think about it. And I don't care what you are driving.

But, but, I'm getting older. The things I used to do, I don't do no more. I have owned three W126s. Great cars, but bottomless money pits. Even worse, it is money, you will never, ever see again. These cars are $5,000 disposable cars. Once the A/C goes, junk 'em.

And this is my problem. I can't help myself. I want my cars to be right. I pour money into them even when I know it doesn't make any sense.

This is why I'm wondering if a 500E might make sense. Yes, all old Mercedes are money pits, particularly if you're like me and let your checkbook do the work instead of your toolbox. At $20K, I'm thinking these cars have bottomed out. Yes, I'll never get back the money I put into it, but I should be able to sell it 10 years from now for what I pay for it today. Yes or no?

Dale

PS I wish I could. I wish I would. If only, if only, the A/C really worked (it gets really hot in Texas), I would spend $40K on a 280se 3.5 coupe in a heartbeat. What an unbelievably cool car. It makes my heart break. This is my car. But I just can't do it...

19. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    500E's have soul. I've driven two, and they are wonderful cars. The later AMG stuff just feels too heavy and electronically controlled.

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks, but you give me too much credit. I can't chew gum.

Dale

21. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    I dont see how you can go wrong for $20k. Im not as down on the newer Benzes as some seem to be, but I have to admit that the 500E has a lot of character to it and an interesting history as well. Performance on that thing was so impressive that its still decent, and the cabin actually still looks good IMO.

22. e500

e500 Karting

Apr 13, 2009
    Vavilon
  23. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Bringing this back from the dead. Why? If you've been following the market on these it's been on a upswing the past year or two. Today I found out Canepa has one with 67k miles on it, former Red Skelton car and they're asking $135k. Now Bruce might be crazy asking that much, but this follows the trend of where these cars are heading. Finally getting the respect they deserve, the last of the true great Benzes.

https://canepa.com/photo-gallery/1993-mercedesbenz-500e6050/

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I never understood all the hype this car got. If it had a manual I'd understand...

25. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Well the manual M5 of this same era is more than holding it's value too, so they're both great cars. Granted I own E500 so I'm biased, but it's the over engineering that appeals to me and the W124 is it. The E500 had the biggest engine, had a special body, had Porsche involvement, was hand built in a small factory by the same guys who built the Porsche 959, so it has a great story which few cars have these days. If you ever saw that Fifth Gear episode where they try to destroy one of these and can't seem too says it all.