Is a Ferrari built continuation car a bad idea? Pros and Cons | FerrariChat

Is a Ferrari built continuation car a bad idea? Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by bitzman, Aug 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Let me give a definition. It's where an automaker makes a car exactly like one hey made some decades ago,
    and sells it at a huge price. Jaguar did this with the D-type (or was it SS) and it was so successful they are doing it with lightweight E-types.Some years ago, with Victor Gauntlet was running Aston he made some more DB4GTZs.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    There is one theory if Ferrari green lights a continuation car, it could be the 250GTO. Now I say that there is no chance a continuation GTO could be mistaken for a new one, SN wise , because only 39 examples were built between 1962 and 1964; and experts know the SN by heart. If Ferrari chose an old car to make, this would be a good choice because it was not only a bona fide race car, but because it was built to satisfy homologation requirements for GT racing;
    it is street drivable.

At the 2018 Geneva Motor Show, FCA/Ferrari boss, the late Sergio Marchionne, said that a continuation Ferrari 250 GTO is possible, but he personally disliked the words ‘continuation car’.”

He even said in Top Gear that "living off the spoils of the past is a bad habit to get into.”

Jaguar’s Special Vehicle Operations unit sold their six Lightweight Jaguar E-Type coupes for £1 million but their excuse to be able to go back in the time machine and make some oldies but goodies is that those SN had been assigned in the original era, just not built. Shelby also came up with some Cobras that he said were uncompleted cars that he had decided to complete, but the State of California debated their year of origin so he moved his factory to Nevada and the problem evaporated.
    One plan is that each new GTO would be given a brand-new serial number, picking up where the original run of 39 250 GTOs left off.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT IT: Great promotion. Since owners of old GTOs don't want to run their $50 million and up cars on the track,owners of the continuation cars might do it and we all get to enjoy the sights and sounds. Dealers could have one in the showrooms as a crowd draw where they could never afford to floor plan an original.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WHAT'S BAD ABOUT IT. When they come to auction, not everyone's an expert on which is real and which isn't and it could spread fear through the classic car industry that continuation cars are being sold as real originals much as fake Andy Warhols have spread fear among art collectors

-Also would such cars be subject to conforming to modern day standards on braking, fuel economy, side safety, catalytic converters--one what basis would a major automaker seek exemptions to all the usual rules? Some countries might allow them to be sold and used on the street but others would say "Not until they are brought up to 2019 standards."

-They could lower values of the originals. But with Cobras I have to say that hasn't happened. Even after the alloy bodied A.C. Autokraft Cobras existed for some years, real 260 and 289 Cobras continued to soar in value to their present $800,000 and up value, depending on race history. What the exact replicas did was make the public aware of the Cobras and more newly successful entrepreneurs wanted one. Same with the Ford GT40, starting with the Safir Mk.V replicas, and continuing chronologically through to Superformance today, the existence of replicas hasn't hurt the price of the real Sixties GT40s, which are now running $800,000 on up depending on racing history.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't think it would lower the monetary value of a GTO, but IMO more importantly it would diminish the enthusiasts and possibly owners excitement when seeing a car. I've seen an original Cobra and a lot of replicas and seeing the original didn't really get me as excited...it was like I've seen it many times before because I have. The first time I saw a 250 GTO and McLaren F1 (not at the same time), I was bouncing off the wall trying to get a closer look. That feeling for me would be diluted if a lot of replicas/continuations were made. I'd be asking "is that an original?" instead of appreciating it.

showme1946, VAF84 and cloverleaf like this.
  3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  4. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    How many years have we had replica 250GTOs out and about? They've been at concours, at historic races, etc. Mind you, they are not "factory replicas" but they are there and a lot of them are spot-on perfect. Have these diminished the value of the real ones? Nope.

5. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    ...and I think the 'amazement' of seeing an original AC Cobra isn't diminished, exactly *because* there are so many replicas. I may have seen a 250GTO once, and I'd be glad to look at a continuation or replica - there simply won't be *that* many in circulation.

And a note on the success of the Jaguar D-Type: They *intended* to build 100 but only got to 75. They are building the remaining 25 -- so it fulfills a historic intent, and Jag is only building a finite, limited number of them. No diminishment of the joy of seeing one, nor of value.

Win-win.
    - Art

Eye candy - How about this private collection with an original LeMans D-Type, plus original unrestored AC's.. (the C-Type is a replica..).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I like the idea but i can see how it dilutes the real thing. think about when you see a cobra, a gt40 for example...my first question is always, is this the real thing? There is a DB4 GT at Miller Motor that is a continuation and unless you look inside you wont know it.

Of course it doesnt devalue the real thing bc they are now so expensive that most people buying them should really do a thorough inspection and ask for the full history etc. Maybe in the 80s people were more easily fooled into buying a Favre GTO as the real thing. But as a spectator, i do think it taints the experience a bit. You just dont know anymore what you are looking at unless in some extreme cases where you are at events that have vetted the cars beforehand..But for example, i was at the Tour Auto a few years ago and i found out that one of the GT40s was not the real deal. It was nice to look at but knowing it was not the real thing kinda tainted it for me.

First world problems of cours.e

crinoid and ryalex like this.
  7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm on the fence about it, although I like the idea of making them with modern manufacturing capabilities (ie. panels that are actual matches). I think that the limited run Astons are cool, although they're so expensive you nearly have to be able to afford the real one.

The real benefit IMO would be having runs of NLA parts for the Classiche cars.

8. showme1946

showme1946 Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Columbia, Missouri
    Full Name:
    George Rickerson
    The only reason Ferrari could have for a continuation 250GTO would be to make money. I don’t see how it would benefit the enthusiast at all. I would prefer they don’t do it, if I see a 250GTO I want it to be the real thing.

9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Terrible idea. Devalues and marginalizes the original cars. Aston are doing this and no one really cares. They’re beautiful cars. I’ve seen them up close and their great however they still aren’t from the era. Ferrari are doing it right with classiche.