Is a spring compressor necessary | FerrariChat

Is a spring compressor necessary

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Alex N, Jan 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alex N

Alex N Karting

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Vincent Napoliello
    I’m doing the QA-1 upgrade on a 308 is a spring compressor necessary to get the OEM ones off. Thank in advance

2. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    While I’ve never done the springs and shocks on a 308, I have done them on several fiats and my 365 GT 2+2. If you are replacing both the springs and shocks as a unit, I think you “ just” need to use a jack to lift the A arm enough to allow you to loosen the retaining bolts. If you are removing the shock from the spring, you will definitely need a compressor.

Steve Magnusson and wmuno like this.
  3. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    This is correct. The spring will extend the shock to its maximum length. Then the unit can be removed from the suspension. Only if you want to remove the srping from the shock do you need a compressor.

4. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    The springs are under a great deal of preload on Ferraris. You will need to compress them to release the attachment and then you need a lot of travel to allow the spring to extend. Care and great caution should be taken. Having this much energy fly out of a poorly set up compressor can hurt.

rotaryrocket7 and absostone like this.
  5. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    moysiuan and JP365 like this.
  6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    A whole lot of travel. bring to a muffler shop like midas. they have done shocks and springs multiple times for my 308gt4 and another gt4 I have worked on. well worth the price