Is Alonso overrated? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is Alonso overrated?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Igor Ound, Aug 15, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. No

60 vote(s)
    75.9%
  1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Funny, your entire paragraph speaks nothing about how Alonso actually DRIVES.................

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    In a way it makes him another Jenson Button or Jean Alesi: Both fantastic F1 drivers making the worst decision when it came to changing teams. That said, the Gods of Racing were benevolent to Jenson and he lucked into the Brawn seat at the right time. But before that he made one blunder after another.

I hold Alonso in the highest regards drivingwise but he made bad decisions regarding teams. The best champions are good at that too (Fangio, MS, Hamilton).

sammysaber and 375+ like this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

What's so special about his driving? He is a good driver, obviously, but he hasn't performed miracles, has he?

But being in F1 is more than just driving skill; it's a whole package .

It's about creating a good atmosphere around you , motivating people, not slagging off your team in public, respecting your sponsors, doing a bit of PR here and there, keeping quiet about iteam ssues in public, solving problems behind close doors, demonstrating loyalty, etc...
    Lauda, Prost, Senna, Schumacher, Vettel or Hamilton were/are the full package; Alonso never was.

Like I wrote before, he could do terrific lap times driving a ironboard,; I don't care, the man is a whinning little jerk.
    I am really glad he is leaving. Let's see if he gets away with his despicable character in Indycar!

cig1 likes this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Gilles
    +1 absolutely

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Schecter certainly didn't leave racing like a champion, he mailed-in his last performances.

6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    True, Jody didn't perform like a champion in his last year, the car was utter crap and he had no motivation to push it...i believe he wanted to quit way before the end of the season, but he fullfilled his contract like a professional untill the end and that was it.

ricksb and william like this.
  7. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yes, jenson was a very lucky boy, he was a good driver but not a special one, Alesi had 10 times his talent and didn't manage to do it!

Jeronimo GTO, 375+ and william like this.
  8. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    While many of the attributes you listed can benefit a team and driver immensely, a driver's job is to drive fast and finish races. Anything else is a bonus. Drivers don't get paid millions of dollars for anything but driving.

9. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I agree, it actually sounds like he describing Hamilton

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I disagree:

Alonso is quickly demoralized. is he capable of great drives yes. but one of the greats? in the top 25 ok, top 10 no, and definitely not in the top 5 of all time.

your quote about how many drivers can hustle a bad car up front... I would agree that Senna and Schumacher are ones...but also Prost, Piquet, Stewart, Lauda, Surtees, Clark, Moss, Moll, Fangio,Peterson,etc.... lots lots more than Alonso.

When its all going great Alonso is un stoppable. but he has not matured as Senna or Schumacher.... and is far far away from Steward and Prost.

cig1, Bas and william like this.
  11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Sheckter could - should have won the 77 Championship as well. if not for poor reliability. Had he gone to Lotus in 77 - 78 -he would have given Mario a run for the championship. He may not be a Multi WDC - but he was racing when it was life or death, and the driver counted for way more than today. He could keep up with all the greats of the day - including Villeneuve. he was very clean and deliberate... towards the end of his career he finally raced with his brain and brawn. when he started out he was Wild and out of control. I would rate Scheckter over any of the current day drivers easy.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Alonso now says it will be "months" before he decides what to do next

TRANSLATION: No one has coughed up the money for him to go Indy Car racing, including McLaren.

McLaren is going to focus on F1, even if Zak Brown would like not to. Fred is on his own now..

william likes this.
  13. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Whole lotta speculation presented as fact.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Huh? Zak Brown said they dumped Honda in order to keep Alonso. Honda had an EXCLUSIVE 10 year deal with McLaren. Now, they can sell to anyone--aka the TR and RB deals.

Who is in charge of McLaren? Alonso or Zak Brown? Zak Brown.

Seems to me the facts are there.

william likes this.
  15. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    LOL. These things take time. We'll see. The rumors indicate quite a few parties interested in putting Alonso on the IndyCar grid next year ... Andretti, McLaren, Chevy, Honda, Mike Harding Racing, IndyCar & even NASCAR publicly courting him. There's no shortage of interest there.

16. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I don't think Brown ever said McLaren dumped Honda to keep Alonso. The whole team was frustrated as hell with Honda and were openly critical, not just Alonso.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Alonso isn't fit to undo Hamilton's boot laces !

Hamilton always praises his teams, and never betrayed them.

He also never denounced his employers to the FIA.

18. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Heh, Scheckter's kid Tomas disagreed with him publicly over this ...

375+ likes this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Alonso was the most critical of the Honda power, and demonstrated it several times in the most humiliating ways for the Japanese.
    He never stopped to berate the engine, and his attitude was quite disturbing for the Honda engineers.
    When Zak Brown came on board, Alonso sold him the idea that a change of engine suplier was the only option.
    Now, one year down the line, we have seen that not only Honda was at fault for the lack of performance.
    Zak Brown came to believe Alonso judgement as if it was gospel.
    The Indy foray was just a distraction to please the Spaniard; it brought nothing to the F1 team.
    So infact, Alonso influence at McLaren has been quite destructive, once again!

20. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #46 hairy_scotsman, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    In fact? Link?
    LOL. C'mon, man.

As for Indy, I doubt the sponsors saw no value in it. And I doubt McLaren hated getting more exposure in their biggest market. They hated it so much that they're talking about doing it again, and even starting an IMSA DPi project.
    As for Honda being at fault, clearly they aren't at fault this year, but that does not logically give us any indication about last year. By all accounts, even outside McLaren, they had a great chassis last year. This year they obviously do not.

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Bollocks.

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  22. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    A few more posts and Alonso is responsible for the climate change..

It is funny when people call others unreasonable and a lack of accomplishing the achievement of a certain British driver while putting up all these baseless stories about Alonso themselves.... one can only shake head

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

stavura, 375+ and hairy_scotsman like this.
  23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The only part I disagree with is him being quickly demoralized. For the rest fully agree.

24. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Forgetting a little twittergate when Lewis did not get the front wing that Button got or Liegate that got Dave Ryan fired from McLaren. Lewis is not a saint and a huge whiner just like Mansell when things do not go his way, and insincere in his praise of the fans and his team. Alonso has bitten the hand that feeds him repeatedly bit but to suggest Lewis is so superior shows a bit of british bias. Lewis is a great driver, but to suggest Alonso not fit to undo Lewis boot laces, come on.

stavura, P.Singhof and hairy_scotsman like this.