Is Ferrari confiscating and crushing replicas? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Is Ferrari confiscating and crushing replicas?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Alex_202, Dec 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The existence of it makes it a counterfeit.

Your opinion would not protect you from the law.

2. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
  3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

julio, clearly you are not a porsche fan...i get it. independant of that, the rebody of a gte to gto is quite similar as a rebody of a 911 to a 935 in practice. in the interest of the gte-gto...still a ferrari. in the instance of the 911-935...still a porsche.

4. ferraridigest

ferraridigest Karting

Jun 27, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Tony G
    One more point to consider. Ferrari doesn't make the bodies. That's pininfarina, scaglietti etc. In fact Enzo didn't much care for that part of the business and instead focused on the engines, chassis and other mechanicals.

So, to claim that somehow changing the body style on a car owned by an individual alters the nature of the ownership rights is absurd IMHO.

Just to clarify my personal opinion, I don't want or like to see Ferraris altered radically by rebody projects.

I'm just making the point that these rebody cars (Ferrari engine, chassis, so on) should not be subject to seizure and destruction by the govt in Italy or elsewhere.

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Since Aston Martin has only been in bankruptcy something like 37 times, I think they would do anything for a pound or two...

6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    One thing that might attract attention to replicas is that many if not most do not carry original identification. Frames and engines have often been crudely renumbered and type plates are either missing or have been reproduced. For me this suggests that replica business is one way to put stolen goods back into the market. I'm not saying that all people involved are crooks, but some without a doubt are/have been.

Best wishes, Kare

7. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I understand your point, but I personally or in my opinion don't believe that it is THAT black and white.

Owning a VHS that you recorded makes it a counterfit? Owning a burned CD makes it a counterfit? Does DVRing a program violate reproduction rights as well?

I would think... and of course you may know for a fact as I am just stating my best guess etc... that how you represent the item also determines the degree in which the law will act. If it is for personal use there is no monetary gain etc... no malicous intent... and I would "think" that it would be difficult for a judge to take you up on that court case

8. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    legally, declaring a 'replica' as a 'replica', doesn't change anything, it is built as a counterfit, being that it is not a built by authorization or agreement of the manufacturer (Ferrari, in this case)

as such it is protected under registered trademark of the designer or manufacturer

9. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Unlike your VHS recording of Fast Times at Ridgemont High -- which falls under fair use if you use it only for your own entertainment and is never saleable -- cars are by law registered and titled property, in every state/country. They are a different category of asset. I suppose you could tell the prosecutor that you never planned to sell it, cross your heart, hope to die, etc. Not sure how that would work, in practice.

Unless you are licensed by Ferrari to produce cars with their name, you would be misappropriating their intellectual property by badging your creation as a Ferrari.

10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    lol... very funny!

and again as a reminder I am only doing this to promote conversation...

but...

it sounds like the badge is what pushes it over the edge...

so if you put it on a complete replica its violating intellectual property... but if it was a 250gte to begin with and is titled as such... then they can't say anything.

Ferrari should require VIN numbers/proof of ownership in order to acquire a badge. (Shelby does this with Shebly GT-350 side stripes)

Or the answer... which I am going to say but not condone is... put a loose replica of a ferrari badge on your car... make 3-5 subtle changes and voila... artist interpretation not protected by intellectual property rights...LOL... again... i don't condone this... just making a joke

11. Buxton

Buxton Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Full Name:
    B Buxton
    Its just in very bad taste

12. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    That is nothing but an opinion among other opinions. The Chinese believe that if they miss-spell "perpetual" on a Rolex face, it is not the same product any more and they can't say anything...

13. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    so i wonder why haven't or when Ferrari is going to catch up these guys?

apparently i can get a FXX for $38K or even a nice Ferrari SUV?!? LOL

http://www.superreplicas.org/

only one actual Ferrari replica being constructed as i can find on the site.....all the rest are pictures of the real thing!! but marked as pics of "thier work"

http://www.supereplicas.com/galleries/

14. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    But they are located in Panama, so everything must be on the up and up.......right?!?!?!

15. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    :D absolutely LOL

16. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    When a business has a tagline like "A name you can trust", run. ;)

Hilarious:

[​IMG]

17. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #167 JeremyJon, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

hey man, those hard working guys are building the orange "Ferrari" exactly like it is in the picture....the picture mounted right over the sidewalk :D :D LOL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    wow, gives new meaning to "curb service"

interesting that their 458 replica vid has Chip Foose ostensibly endorsing the fake. I don't think he wants to find himself in the crosshairs of Ferrari SpA's IP lawyers. . . .

19. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Hmmmmmm..I wonder if Mr Clarkson is aware that his picture is displayed on the twitter page for the 458 replica???

20. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    I'm speechless.....

21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It's appalling, but realistically it's no different than any other replica -- stolen design, stolen badging in order to make a buck.

If Chip Foose is really involved in this, I'm surprised and disappointed.

22. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I would be very, very surprised if anyone notable, famous (or even known) has anything at all to do with this.

It's extremely easy to create a false internet "identity." In about half an hour, I could create a "website" for, say, high-end plastic surgery with an imaginary "team" or world-renowned surgeons (with their pictures on the site), phony testimonials from celebrities, and photographs or all sorts of people that I can pretend are endorsing my make-believe company.

This could all be the work of one person who is simply halfway decent at creating a website. (Remember the short-lived "sponsor" who was asking for deposits on 458 Spyders?)

I'd not only be surprised if Chip Foose is really involved in this; I'd be surprised if the people who made this website have ever had anything to do with actually producing a car - any car, replica or otherwise. On a website that uses factory photos of genuine Ferraris, as well as unauthorized concept drawings to illustrate the SUVS that they can "sell" to you, that photograph of some people supposedly building a Ferrari (?!) replica could be a photograph of anyone.

23. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Is there a single photograph of the finished "product"?

24. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Panama is growing this year at the rate of 7%+.

Quick, name another country that is even close to that. :)

Regards, Alberto

25. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Qatar 18.6%
    Nigeria 8.4%
    Kazakhstan 6.5%
    Turkey 6.3%
    Saudi Arabia 6.1%