Is Ferrari confiscating and crushing replicas? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Is Ferrari confiscating and crushing replicas?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Alex_202, Dec 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    that answers that, good job mark. you obviously don't have a 275 gtb by accident :)
    ed

2. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada

they certainly have lots of photos on thier site, but i agree with you, i would be surprised if even one there was actually of something "they" produced

that sidewalk pic cracks me up LOL :D

3. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    growth driven by hat sales no doubt....

4. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I'm not an intellectual-property expert, but in many countries these people get away with what they do because the time a design is protected is either nil or limited to a certain number of years. For instance, IIRC, the time-limit in the UK used to be 10 years, hence all the replica's manufactured there (Cobra's, GT 40's, Countach) Just an example, the proliferation is vast these days. Some really 'good' replica's are built here in SA these days too, and nobody cares.

Just building on the above, one could then basically do as one pleases in those countries.

It becomes interesting, however, when one of these crosses the border into a country with proper legislation.

Ferrari sells cars. When you take possession of your new car, you don't sign a contract that you will leave it stock standard, it's yours and if you think you want to re-model the whole body of your new 458, there is precious little they can do about that, except maybe prohibit you putting the F-car logo's and name back on the finished product.

In the same vein, if you take a 250 GTE and put a different body on it, it's your car, so by all means you're free to do so. Now, if the body is a replica of another Ferrari-product, it becomes a different story. Maybe the design you used is not protected (anymore), but using the logo's and names is using their trademarks on something they don't agree with and won't lend their name to: the name is, after all, theirs. A GTE-based GTO that is presented as a GTO becomes a falsification.

Just my 2 cts, again, I'm certainly not an expert in these matters.

5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Panama hats are made in Ecuador, at least the good ones...

Regards, Alberto

6. fast eddy

fast eddy Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2010
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Ed Davenport
    #181 fast eddy, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
    Super Replicas company is a scam, as stated by other people in the replica industry! They take a deposit and cease contact. Notice how they have blocked comments on their youtube vids. Re: Chip Foose in the pics with the scammer, they went to a SEMA show where Chip was endorsing and or marketing automotive paint products, took a pic, then put it on their site, and implied that he was endorsing their product. They have also done this with Steven Speilberg, and other famous sports figures. I think it is appauling, and should be brought to light. I'm sure these Celebs don't even know about it.

7. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    But, how can that be?! They say they're "a name you can trust!
    Those scoundrels! What will they think of next?
    Those poor celebrities won't even want to appear in public after this!
    I'm just so disillusioned! To think that: (1) We can't even trust people in the business of building copies of other manufacturers' cars and fraudulently badging them as original; and (2) We can't even believe everything we see on the Internet. If there really isn't any Santa Claus, please don't tell me! If he isn't real, either, I just won't be able to deal. . .

8. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    #183 Jan Biekens, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dear Alberto,
    A lot has happened since your post. I didn’t had to hide it. In 2010 the car received a FIA HTP and afterwards it raced at Goodwood, Silverstone, Dijon, Pau, Monza, Portimao and of course Spa. On the 1st of June 2011 (before racing at Monza) the car visited the Ferrari Classiche Department in Maranello and was invited to be exposed at the Ferrari museum.

In the Official Ferrari Magazine Antonio Ghini wrote:
    “We’ve told you about and shown you photographs of the yellow 156F1 in the colours of the Equipe National Belge – it went through its paces at Monza in early June to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Hill’s World title victory. We also told you that the car had been meticulously and patiently reconstructed by Belgian enthusiast Jan Biekens who started off with just the original engine and gearbox. In fact, he rebuilt it mainly from designs and photographs. In other words, the sole surviving example of an extraordinarily successful car is basically a replica. I suppose that if we didn’t have the original Nike of Samothrace, we’d be happy with a faithful replica so that we could still feast our eyes on one of the great icons of sculpture. But that’s quite a different kettle of fish.”

Of course the car will never be certified or accepted it will more or less be tolerated by Ferrari, I think because of the following reasons:
    1 I was very open and clear from the start that I was going to make a recreation
    2 We did a very thoroughly research
    3 The car doesn’t exist anymore
    4 We didn’t destroy any original Ferrari’s for our recreation
    5 The project was and isn’t commercial based

The day at the Ferrari Classiche department was of course a very special one. At the picture from left to right: Antonio Ghini, Mario Mairano, Marco Arrighi, me and Dan Setford.

Regards,

Jan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. fast eddy

fast eddy Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2010
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Ed Davenport
    He he he, and I thought I had uncovered something big!

10. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    a guy built a bugatti veyron [from scratch] ,is this a fake ? or one mans dream?

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That is great to hear!!!

Congrats!!!